Bangkok smash: Woman driver tells police she reached for her phone charger

webfact

Bangkok smash: Woman driver tells police she reached for her phone charger

1pm.jpg

Picure: Dail Newd

Khok Khram police were called to the Kaset to Nawamin Road yesterday after a woman in a Yaris slammed into the back of a Vigo pick-up and overturned. 

Manthana, 32, was taken to Paolo Kaset Hospital with a slight knee injury. 

Yuthakan, 28, in the pick-up said he was going to Lat Prao with his brother when the other vehicle smashed into his rear as he traversed a klong. 

He rushed to the woman's aid and she told him that she had been arguing with her boyfriend and the tears meant she could not see the road ahead. He smelled no alcohol on her breath.

Police later said that the story about the argument was probably incorrect as the boyfriend arrived and it didn't look like they had been arguing. 

They said that the woman had reached for her charger and it wasn't in the normal place so she took her eyes off the road momentarily, enough to cause the accident. 

She was tested for alcohol immediately and had not been drinking. 

She was fined 500 baht for negligent driving. 

The rest of the damage would be sorted out through insurance. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-10

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

did she get it ?????

Well she will get a charge.  That charge will be an increase in her insurance, a charge for the repairs of the other vehicle and I am sure a charge for compensation due to her negligence, but then a final Wai and she will be on her way....

56 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Oh this pops up quite a bit. It amazes me how readily people will, basically admit to 'driving without due care and attention' thinking that the statement will mitigate their behaviour.

Sure, I know this well, my son's in laws (big family), are the masters of this point:

• "Yes I crashed into the car in front and someone killed, more injured, car a write off but it's all OK / it's not my fault / I didn't do anything wrong, I dropped my phone charger and I had to bend down to find it". And...

•  "Yes I went through the red light but I'm allowed to do that because I don't like the idea of traffic lights /  I don't like the idea of traffic laws, it's up to me". 

Edited by scorecard

I’m astounded she didn’t claim brake failure.

I’m astounded she was checked for alcohol.

I’m astounded she had not been drinking.

I’m not astounded by the low charge for negligent driving which means people will continued to drive carelessly, with out a care or consideration for others... the terrible standards continue. 

That said - this is an accident of inattention and it does happen else where, the difference is the charges and penalties are quite different such that it happens less elsewhere (this comment is just to pre-empt the response from those who may attempt to make excuses for these issues here in Thailand)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

and it wasn't in the normal place so she took her eyes off the road momentarily, enough to cause the accident. 

wonder what momentarily means for her.... this type of stupidity it's usually posted/available on humoristic sites like hidden camera or Thailand funniest videos

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

It defies belief, fined 500 baht, the silly woman could have quite easily killed someone.

Here in Western Australia they have just put up the fines for using mobile phones. Now if you even touch it you are up for a A$1000 fine and 4 demerit points. Only 37 people got caught on the first day !!  It seems impossible to stop people using a phone whilst driving. All new cars have Apple or Android systems fitted so its easy to make calls without touching a phone. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that the woman had reached for her charger and it wasn't in the normal place so she took her eyes off the road momentarily, enough to cause the accident. 

[...]

She was fined 500 baht for negligent driving.

When will the police in this country start to enforce the law that drivers are not allowed to use mobile phones while driving? Often when I see a cars which are driven in a strange way I look at the driver and in most cases they play with their phones. Does anybody care.

For clarification: I can see them like that because I am on my motorcycle.

• Like 1

I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me.....and not only the phone charger, but dropped cigarettes, bottles of beer and whiskey, some chewing gum which fell out of my mouth yesterday, a half eaten-sandwich I bought last week, and sundry other items. I have decided to ask the wife to hunt for things I drop in the car from now on.