international postal deliveries: are they now possible?

iko

On 9/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, robblok said:

I have gotten postage from Iherb from US through Germany. I have received package from India too. Got stuff from the Netherlands too. 

So yes things are possible again

Yes Possible But Not for Sure .

I am waiting for Mail from a Bank in Australia  6 weeks , to date Nothing received . 

Same from the Netherlands Mail posted in the Netherlands on 20/08 2020 ,to date Nothing received.

Have received mail from India within 7 days/from Singapore within 3 days/From UK 9 days/from USA 3 weeks/From china 3 Months.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The OP appears to be asking about sending outbound mail FROM Thailand to some other unspecified country...

As mentioned above, the details may depend on what country you're trying to mail to. But in general, AFAIK, the private couriers (FedEx, DHL, UPS) are all accepting outbound mail right now, but are waiving their normal time guarantees because of COVID. Figure at least 1000 baht and more for a single regular letter.

I asked at my local Thai Post Office the other day about outbound letter mail to the U.S. in particular. And the choices they offered were:

--a so-called E-Packet for 260 baht (same price up to 200g), or

--EMS mail for 880 baht (same price up to 200g).

For both, they were estimating delivery time of 3-4 weeks.

I went to my office and no mail to USA unless EMS for 1,400 baht...ridiculous.

• Like 1

I sent some seeds to a mate in Tahiti in march(ems), it sat in France for months and was eventually returned to me last week, now thai post dont deliver to French Polynesia so I will have to send it buy dhl/fedex at 3 times the price. To Australia it is cheaper to send a heavier package than it is to send a light one with thai post now, postage is all over the place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, salsajapan said:

Wrong, price changed every 500 grams.

what about learning how to use internet properly ?

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/index.php?page=rate_result&country_code=US&weight=499&language=en

Well, according to that website, the rates it shows are slightly different than what I was quoted at the counter in the PO in BKK, and also different from what you claim above:

E-Packet to the U.S. (according to the above website):

100g - 260b

200g - 325b

300g - 390b

400g - 455b

500g - 520b

And, according to the same website, the rate for the EMS World document at 100 or 200g is the 880b rate I was quoted and mentioned in my post.

When the weight increases to 300g or 400g or 500g, the price rises to 930b. Again, consistent with what I posted about the 880b rate applying for an envelope up to 200g, and not what you claimed.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why does Thailand Post postal rates have an entry for McDonald's? !!  ????

huh.jpg.8caba6a03aa9bcab2e4ab771408e8ec0.jpg

As surprising as it gets, it does exist and I just discovered it. On this very same Thai postal page it is writen as "Heard Island and McDonald Islands" on my screen. It's an Australian territory in the very south of the Atlantic Ocean: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands.

What is most surprising is that your mail has absolutely no reason to go there; it is uninhabited !!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UdeBoCM said:

As surprising as it gets, it does exist and I just discovered it. On this very same Thai postal page it is writen as "Heard Island and McDonald Islands" on my screen. It's an Australian territory in the very south of the Atlantic Ocean: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands.

What is most surprising is that your mail has absolutely no reason to go there; it is uninhabited !!

Maybe its uninhabited because they couldn't receive mail from Thailand before.

Now they can, so people will move there soon and some busy trade will start up, mark my words!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

LDN, memantine  or other medication hard to find here? just wondering...

I was planning to order some but don't know about import...

It was not medicine that i imported, more a food supplement berberine. Something that helps with exercise and weight loss.

I have an Aliepress package (China to Thai) currently enjoying a wonderful stopover in Singapore, its having such a great time its been there for 3 weeks now. I think today its a trip on the cable car out to Sentosa island, a trip to VivoCity planned for later in the week.

Expecting a postcard any day now.

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I sent something by Thai Post EMS to the US. Arrived but took 6 weeks.

I am planning to send my absentee ballot by courier as that seems the only way to be guranteed timely delivery.

I think you are right. It is sometimes worth the extra costs for courier service to get more timely and secure service. I sent my passport via DHL to the UK, it cost 1600 baht, but it was delivered within 5 days over a weekend and they had collected it from my home.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:18 PM, Sheryl said:

I sent something by Thai Post EMS to the US. Arrived but took 6 weeks.

I am planning to send my absentee ballot by courier as that seems the only way to be guranteed timely delivery.

When I inquired at my local TH post office in BKK last week about the likely timing of an EMS document mailed from here to the U.S., their answer was to expect 4 to 5 weeks delivery time.

Under the circumstances, I too probably will be planning to go the courier route with my U.S. presidential election ballot.

Though, it would be useful/helpful to know just what kind of timing to expect with ballots delivered to the U.S. consulates in BKK or CM for onward forwarding to the U.S. I haven't seen anything explaining how often or when they're going to forward ballots, the timing involved, and then how those ballots will be handled once they arrive in the U.S.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I inquired at my local TH post office in BKK last week about the likely timing of an EMS document mailed from here to the U.S., their answer was to expect 4 to 5 weeks delivery time.

Under the circumstances, I too probably will be planning to go the courier route with my U.S. presidential election ballot.

Though, it would be useful/helpful to know just what kind of timing to expect with ballots delivered to the U.S. consulates in BKK or CM for onward forwarding to the U.S. I haven't seen anything explaining how often or when they're going to forward ballots, the timing involved, and then how those ballots will be handled once they arrive in the U.S.

From Democrats Abroad website:

"Some states require that ballots or absentee ballot requests must be returned via postal mail.  Yet there is no airmail between Thailand and the USA.  Two options: 1) send via DHL/FedEx/UPS (fast but costs $) or 2) send via the US Embassy (slow but FREE).  Click on "read more" for info from the US Embassy website. For the Embassy option, allow 2-4 weeks for the Embassy to take it to the USA plus at least one week for the US Postal Service to deliver; total: allow 3-5 weeks! "

https://www.democratsabroad.org/1294/sending_ballots_and_absentee_ballot_requests_via_postal_mail?utm_campaign=th_sept_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=democratsabroad

In addition you need to either have a postage paid envelope or attach US postage to it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

From Democrats Abroad website:

"Some states require that ballots or absentee ballot requests must be returned via postal mail.  Yet there is no airmail between Thailand and the USA.  Two options: 1) send via DHL/FedEx/UPS (fast but costs $) or 2) send via the US Embassy (slow but FREE).  Click on "read more" for info from the US Embassy website. For the Embassy option, allow 2-4 weeks for the Embassy to take it to the USA plus at least one week for the US Postal Service to deliver; total: allow 3-5 weeks! "

https://www.democratsabroad.org/1294/sending_ballots_and_absentee_ballot_requests_via_postal_mail?utm_campaign=th_sept_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=democratsabroad

In addition you need to either have a postage paid envelope or attach US postage to it.

Interesting from the Democrats Abroad website you've linked above:

Democrats Abroad Thailand does NOT recommend EMS or ePacket services available at Thailand post offices  -- experience has shown service to be unreliable and slow.

Particularly since the EMS and E-Packet shipping methods were the ONLY two methods offered to me by ThaiPost lately for sending document type stuff to the U.S.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting from the Democrats Abroad website you've linked above:

Particularly since the EMS and E-Packet shipping methods were the ONLY two methods offered to me by ThaiPost lately for sending document type stuff to the U.S.

Pre-COVID, I always used EMS. But my recent experience with EMS (6 weeks to deliver) have dissuaded e from using it for anything time sensitive.

Unless I can find somewhere to send an international fax, I'll be shelling out for a courier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unless I can find somewhere to send an international fax, I'll be shelling out for a courier.

There are free online/web-based services that will allow you to send a fax back to the U.S. of up to several pages... But you have to have the document you want to fax in either Word or PDF or JPG file format, as best as I recall... I've used them all the time...successfully....

http://www.gotfreefax.com/

Unfortunately, my particular state doesn't allow faxed in ballots, period.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:46 PM, ImageDude said:

I think you are right. It is sometimes worth the extra costs for courier service to get more timely and secure service. I sent my passport via DHL to the UK, it cost 1600 baht, but it was delivered within 5 days over a weekend and they had collected it from my home.

And 1,600 THB is only 200 THB more than the going EMS rate in any case! But still inexcusable IMHO that you were forced into sending your passport back to the UK by those incompetent clowns at HMPO's Liverpool office, as you have explained elsewhere on here!!

Edited by OJAS

On 9/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, orchidfan said:

Same here. Awaiting small package from my daughter in Perth.

Tracking says it's all processed awaiting an international flight.

Only 3 days so far.

Letter left Perth Wed nite. Icollected in Pattaya Banglamung Fri morning.????

• Like 1