'Govt has adequate funds' to meet commitments to elders, disabled, and state employees' salaries

rooster59

'Govt has adequate funds' to meet commitments to elders, disabled, and state employees' salaries

By The Nation

800_500f5c805b3f570.jpeg

Finance ministry's spokesperson, Lavaron Sangsnit

The Finance Ministry has assured that there are sufficient funds in the state coffers to pay living allowance to elders and disabled people as well as the monthly salaries of state officials.

The ministry's spokesperson, Lavaron Sangsnit, denied a report that the country had to suspend payment of the allowance to elders and disabled people due to lack of budget, and funds were enough to pay only three months' salaries of state employees.

He clarified that the government had not stopped the allowance payment but only delayed it, pending budget adjustment for the number of eligible recipients this month. September is the last month of such allowance payment in the 2020 fiscal year. He added that the payment is expected to be finished this month.

The government has already allocated sufficient budget for state officials' salaries, he added.

Addressing public concerns about non-performing loans in the banking system, he said the government, the Bank of Thailand and financial institutions have joined forces to launch measures to tackle the problem.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30394446

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-13

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

The Old Age payment as said in only about 700 baht per month and normally paid on the 10th.  This month it was paid for those in Bangkok and believe one other location but not for most of country - after the fact they assured all would be paid before the 22nd.  With many families having no current income expect this is more important than it would normally be.

• Like 2

Enough money is a bold statement unless there are never ending government deep pockets.. 

Here in CM they have torn up some of the bigger road sidewalks (to go on to more or all) and replacing them with newer ones that will have a plastic middle yellow ascetic center piece inserted. So far this is a very huge project and so as far as I can see this only supports a crew of maybe not more than 20+, and probably many of those grunts are foreign cheep labor. The amount of money this takes is astronomical and in reality did not need to be done as is a total waste of money. As far as I can deduct is that some very few people are probably getting their pockets lined having the cement companies the big winner. Who are attached to cement companies? 

On another case where I am, they are redoing a useless road that has no significance and does not keep more than half a dozen labor workers going.

There is some major unnecessary waste of money going on for city work, and if other cities and provinces are the same as CM then it is absolutely mind boggling how this can contribute to help Thai people on the whole as it only feeds a few at best. So where is the money coming from, and where is it really going to?

There is some rough sailing coming up here for sure for the Thai, and I can say the USA and Thailand and many other countries have yet to hit the  bottom for the abyss, and there certainly cannot be enough money to keep it all spinning around.

3 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

I'm.sure 'state officials ' won't go short'  There huge queues for what are basically Gov jobs with all the security and shall we say ..perks that go with the job !

There is a price for being granted a government job.  Being qualified up the kazoo isn't enough.  Having the right connections helps immensely.    

And maybe it's time to draw down a few billion US$'s from that foreign trade surplus....cos they know they are going to have to sooner or later. 

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes I know what you meant and I am agreeing with you that the pension should be shared more equitably through the population instead of being funnelled into the accounts of the hiso.

Thanks, don't think my meds are working too well today.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He clarified that the government had not stopped the allowance payment but only delayed it, pending budget adjustment for the number of eligible recipients this month. September is the last month of such allowance payment in the 2020 fiscal year. He added that the payment is expected to be finished this month.

My wife's elderly parents were impacted by this this month. Normally, they receive their government allowance around the 11th of every month. This month, they went to the bank then and nothing (the wife's parents are upcountry, not in BKK).

Bank told them nothing but to check with the government. Eventually they were promised the payments would be made this month by the 21st... Let's see what happens.

Wife said this was the first time she can recall there ever being a problem with the government's monthly allowance to her parents...even through all the prior upheavals and strife.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Finance Ministry has assured that there are sufficient funds in the state coffers to pay living allowance to elders and disabled people as well as the monthly salaries of state officials.

You just know tomorrow's headline will be 'Cut in rate of payment to elders and disabled'

I would like to  add that the lack of appreciation for tourists  was in some part the fault of some of you old timers spreading around the cash carelessly.   I'm sure you loved being treated like royalty but you surely helped ruin the experience for us late comers.   

This news is scary. I know one person who gets 500 baht a month and she told me about it. She told me people are concerned the government is bankrupt. Remember the finance minister who resigned within a month? Things are starting to make sense now. As for the actual foreign reserves of the country, could the figures be padded? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I would like to  add that the lack of appreciation for tourists  was in some part the fault of some of you old timers spreading around the cash carelessly.   I'm sure you loved being treated like royalty but you surely helped ruin the experience for us late comers.   

Perhaps you should start a GoFundMe page to pick up the slack.

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The Old Age payment as said in only about 700 baht per month and normally paid on the 10th.  This month it was paid for those in Bangkok and believe one other location but not for most of country - after the fact they assured all would be paid before the 22nd.  With many families having no current income expect this is more important than it would normally be.

My wife daughter receives the disabled payment  800 baht ,she was told the 24th ,we shall ,but it is the end of the fiscal year .may be something in that .

I remember a post on here a few months ago ,the government was putting feelers out about tapping into  Thai Social Service /Pension  pot ,to help out with COVID  payment, but under the constitution they were not allowed ,but did they tap in to it?, and the pot is, well, almost deleted. 

17 hours ago, Elkski said:

But so many of yiu always say there is a big foreign trade surplus.    Well???

I call BS.   And they wanted more submarines.   What a country full of DF's

Look it up!  This morning early the amount was US$237.2 billion.  Gold,  cash and various bonds in the main.  Convert to baht in an hour or so.  Two billion,  less than 1% could put food on the table for millions of underprivileged Thai's for the next 2 years.  Those Rsoles in Bangkok need a good kicking. ????

• Like 1