The week that was in Thailand news: Ten faced Thotsakan! A metaphor for the complexity of Thailand

rooster59

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I often wonder why those who wish to see social change in the Kingdom don't try to mobilize and utilize economic power rather than other forms of persuasion; we all know that Thais love the money. 

Closer to home, long-time expats will recall in the days of Suthep and his 'Rent-A-Mob', the Singha heiress made comments to the effect that Issan farmers were too stupid to vote. Within hours, there was talk of an economic boycott of Singha products, and within days the woman (apologies, I forget her name) was no longer allowed to use the family name. It was an example of citizen economic power (or just the threat of it), properly directed, having an immediate impact. 

As noted by Rooster above, Thais have many outlooks/viewpoints on things. It is a shame that they don't use that talent to see the underlying power they have in a society that, more than most, focuses on cash/wealth; not buying someone's products is an easy and effective form of protest and often generates quick results.

Couldn't agree more!

The students are quite aware of this already. That can be seen already from the boycott of some celebrities who support the ruling elite, or from the call to boycott Disney's movie Mulan by the #MilkTeaAlliance, in which the Thai youths actively take part.

The problems however are:

1. The majority of the Thais wouldn't give up any convinience to follow a boycott. Not many would follow a boycott of let's say CP, and stop to buy at 7-eleven.

2. It is the power of the monolpolies and duopolies, which make boycotts often difficult. Often there is simply no alternative to 7-eleven anymore. And, now the issan people drink Leo, which is just another Singha product, or Chang, whose owner belongs to the other elitist player in this Thai oligopoly of breweries. Chang and Singha might belong to different factions among the elite, and oppose each other. But a boycott will not change anything substancial, as against the commoners, all these elitist factions are quite united.

But generally of course it is a fantastic way to use the economic power in order to change the system to a better one.

I enjoy, Rooster, when you write about culture. This is, i think, the real best part of your job to try to educate people. The one who will be the most should be the one who will go ahead to search some more about the subject.

And to be honest, you will see maybe that to have one holy bible is not enough to be free. No bible,=> no advantage, one bible =>no freedom but a place in this community bible fan, More bible => more freedom potentiality, but maybe more alone to be free as long as people have only "one bible".

The fact is that, what ever the culture of the animal is, it does change and everybody have to grow to survive. It is a fact before the human (a social animal who put himself in the center of the Universe) born in this Earth.

Let's read any bibles, and do not mystify human influential ideologies the way it suits the power in place (all the time, anytime, everywhere).

• Confused 1

I was intrigued by your mention of Denis Segaller’s book “Thai Ways” as a bible for local tradition and culture, and was delighted to find I could buy it on Kindle for £5. I am only a few pages into it, but already find it incredibly interesting. Thanks for the tip!

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But I am the first to admit that I don’t always get it right and Thailand still surprises each and every day.

Ahemm.  Now that is surely not the case.  I remember the one occasion where I dared to comment on something you said that was not correct ( ok, it was, as they say IMO ) . You reached into your bag of  slydom (see Rumak's new normal dictionary..NND)  and responded with something to the effect "you make a very good point and I will get back to you as soon as i figure out what it is".  Not word for word, but something like that.   I will be the first to admit that it had quite an affect on me, and instead of pouting and going to my room I embraced the technique.   A subtle , sardonic putdown that is not aggressive.   I now use that technique on this forum as well,  so thank you sir. 

In other "news" ,  trying to take credit for the Attila the Hun  play is a bit too much,  don't you think?

OK,  forget i asked you that.  There were more than a few dim wits that I am sure came up with that little witty, but mine was posted before yours.  And I was promptly notified by a dear reader that they had posted such on Flamebook.  (see Rumak's NND) .   To set the record straight on that,  it was 1973 , the year I married  Nadia Rumakski ,  that she threw a fit accusing me of having another woman, one by the name of Natasha .  Staying cool and collected I calmly informed her the correct name was

"Natalie, my Hun" .     

Last BNL...... why is it SB ( of " an interesting read as always " fame )  is always the first to the buffet table ?  A truly tested and trusted troubadour he is , singing his praises for thee.  I feel a bit slighted,

but take comfort that you surely appreciate my presence as well.   And i want to let you know that

"School of Rock"  was really great .   

regards,  rumak   

Edited by rumak

A great update and education of the Thai culture.  The saving their face thing is also

complicated, as it may not be their face, but their brothers face, sisters, Fathers, Mothers

or other relative face, so there may be more than one little white lie to cover a situation.

Then they just go to the temple and make merit, or pay some baht to the coffers

and talk to a monk. Complicated, and confusing country to be sure.  

Thanks for your explanations.

Geezer