Sixteen year old girl found electrocuted by father while doing her homework

webfact

Sixteen year old girl found electrocuted by father while doing her homework

12pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Thai father told Daily News of his terrible grief after he found his 16 year old daughter electrocuted.

She had been listening to her phone with earphones while it was plugged in and charging. 

Thongchai, 39, from Roi-Et in the northeast of Thailand said that he had lost his job in Bang Pa-In because of the pandemic. 

With some redundancy money he had gone back to his parents' home to till the fields and help look after his M3 daughter who was 16.

He had split up from the teen's mother when she was two. 

He said that "A" arrived home from school on Thursday evening and she diligently went to her room to complete her homework assignments. 

When she didn't emerge for some time he went to check up on her and getting no response to a knock on the door discovered her slumped over her books.

There was a burn mark on her neck. 

He desperately tried CPR then took her to hospital where medics failed to revive her. 

The family were desperately sad. A funeral is set to be held in the Selaphum district of Roi-Et.

Thongchai warned people not to put their earphones in while charging their devices. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-14

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, johng said:

Better to warn people not to buy those super cheapo  USB chargers that fail in a dangerous way  leading to

mains voltages being present where there should be only 5Volts.

You can usually spot the crappy chargers as they are cheap,lightweight get quite warm during use and sometimes make a buzzing noise.

As this is not the first case of "death by charger"

maybe the government will make some laws requiring that all chargers sold in Thailand comply to stricter

safety measures !

Wishful thinking there ! I doubt the Government will do anything at all about the situation like most things 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johng said:

I think all new builds do require it now...recently one of my neighbours "forgot" to pay their electric bill

the meter was removed by the PEA  and they wouldn't reconnect without a photo showing that the fuse box had been installed (retrofitted)  with a ELCB /GFCI

{snipped}

I agree that's a good start.

I must admit I had to look up 'GCFI' - 'ground-fault circuit interrupter', as it wasn't an abbreviation I'd heard before.

Being a realist, I think it would be better if the PEA also wanted a photo of the grounding electrode.

Having said all, that it's still not proof the photos were the installation in the customer's premises. It would be more responsible if the PEA visited the customer and did their own inspection before reconnecting the supply.

Perhaps eventually...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

So sad to hear this, and RIP to the poor girl.

It would be avoidable if GFCIs were installed in homes, as has been mentioned, however the problem goes deeper than this because I have yet to see anything resembling "safe wiring" in the many homes and establishments in which I have visited, and the majority of those visits was to try and sort out an electrical problem for someone.

I am a qualified electrician and served a five year apprenticeship and abided by the IEE Regulations as we all had to do in those days, but here in Thailand, it is a different world altogether, sorry to say.

You're spot on about it being a different world.

I not a qualified electrician, my background was electronics and telecoms.

A friend bought a house in Bangsaray (near Pattaya). He asked me if I could have a look to find out why his satellite system continually buzzed through the speakers when he was watching it.

I had a look and couldn't see anything amiss initially. Then I thought it might be a lack of grounding causing the noise. No, the satellite receiver had a three core power supply cable.

I had a look behind the power outlet. They were all three pin sockets. I realised there was no earth installed, only live and neutral.

Eventually my friend found out via a neighbour who had a similar problem, the electricians paid an 'inspector' 500 Baht to say the installation complied with the regulations.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Having said all, that it's still not proof the photos were the installation in the customer's premises

The PEA guy did initially say he wanted to see the installation but in the end settled for a photo as the owner was not at the property away working.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You're spot on about it being a different world.

I not a qualified electrician, my background was electronics and telecoms.

A friend bought a house in Bangsaray (near Pattaya). He asked me if I could have a look to find out why his satellite system continually buzzed through the speakers when he was watching it.

I had a look and couldn't see anything amiss initially. Then I thought it might be a lack of grounding causing the noise. No, the satellite receiver had a three core power supply cable.

I had a look behind the power outlet. They were all three pin sockets. I realised there was no earth installed, only live and neutral.

Eventually my friend found out via a neighbour who had a similar problem, the electricians paid an 'inspector' 500 Baht to say the installation complied with the regulations.

If only they were intelligent enough to know that they were possibly endangering people's lives.

This thread has made me phone my daughter who is at Uni near Bangkok, to ensure that she doesn't listen to her phone whilst it is charging, or even use it when charging. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I keep telling my wife not to do that,but she won't listen,

they have no respect for electricity,I suppose because they

cannot see it, but the results can be deadly !

RIP young lady.

regards worgeordie

its the abysmal electric contacts here and lack of grounding that does it, its safe in europe

15 minutes ago, johng said:
37 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Having said all, that it's still not proof the photos were the installation in the customer's premises

The PEA guy did initially say he wanted to see the installation but in the end settled for a photo as the owner was not at the property away working.

Sorry, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. How did just happen to have photos of the installation?

Perhaps he should get someone else to allow access to the property to allow the PEA to check.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

How did just happen to have photos of the installation?

The "electrician" sent photos via the "Line" application and then forwarded to the PEA guy who was happy with that and re-installed the meter...crisis over.

16 hours ago, scammed said:

its the abysmal electric contacts here and lack of grounding that does it, its safe in europe

Grounding would not have changed anything in this case. 

Edited by Oldie

28 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just had the four air conditioning units serviced yesterday. The man found one unit, installed a year ago, had no grounding. Fortunately we have an owner having someone take care of things immediately if there is an issue.

I bought a new house 7 years ago which had no grounding in the electrical system.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I bought a new house 7 years ago which had no grounding in the electrical system.

Sorry to hear that, and hopefully you've managed to do something about it in order to make your house a safe place in which to live (electrically speaking).

However yours is not an isolated case as I see it all of the time and just recently was asked to look at the oven in a newly opened little "restaurant" (which was a house once) because the cook was getting small shocks from it.

I checked the whole place out as they were about to install a small shower unit in the bathroom, as the previous one had been removed, and there was no earth available.

To cut a long story short I managed to install an earth which was able to take care of the appliances in the place, but unfortunately not the freestanding socket outlets.

I nearly got electrocuted at the house I bought here many years ago when I was trying to do some work on the air-conditioner and nothing I could do would cut the supply to it, even isolating it at the main consumer unit.

I found the reason for that.........the installer had decided to run the supply to it, directly from the mains cables running into the house from the meter on the pole outside so there was no way this could be isolated, so it was lucky I wasn't injured/killed when trying to work on it.

Luckily I had my little "multimeter" with me and that saved the day, and possibly me!