Noise pollution

Johnb121257

I have a Purchased condo at Bang Saray - no chance of selling now so is there a Company anyone knows that could attempt to block out external noise generated 

from 5am due to Loud cock ( chicken) and every night sometimes up to 1am 

from vans with speakers making a terrible din ( ignorant and selfish)

nobody else seems to complain to the police so I don’t know if what they are doing is 

illegal or ‘ just the Thai Way’ everyone ignores. As a farang I do not want to make a police complaint for obvious reasons - 

I don’t know if soundproofing the windows would work - any advice would be greatly appreciated  

thanks

john

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Thais love noise and it will never stop.

You can report to whoever you want and it will make no difference.

This is my experience here in Pattaya too. It never changed anything. But at least I feel better for some minutes afterwards... But this feeling never lasts long. 

Hi Oldie

yes it’s the the bass sounds that are the worst - I’m sitting here now wearing noise cancelling headphones watching the television - totally ridiculous to have to do this but until I can get rid of the Condo I suppose the ignorant and selfish people outside will just continue

thanks for replying

john

13 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Go 7/11 and done!

Unknown-1.jpeg.798c8d4738390550e65688e8c7ee7718.jpeg

Sweed dreams!

They are no good at all, I use the ones from boots, wax ones with cotton. Cut one on half and mold them into your ears makes a very good sound barrier, sound cancelling headphone should be called sound reduction, they are not that great. I have plugs in almost all the time dogs are the most annoying these days, and I can't hear what the mrs is on about either! Noise is a big problem here.

There is and always will be debates on TV about renting v buying, your problem is the main reason I always rent

Those blinking tanoy trucks prowling the street are a nightmare for siestas.

My only suggestion is to get a cheap quiet rental for your sanity while you try to sell or rent it out

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Go 7/11 and done!

Unknown-1.jpeg.798c8d4738390550e65688e8c7ee7718.jpeg

Sweed dreams!

You are optimistic. This is a small selection of what I have. But better than to buy such things is to never buy a condo here. Mine was very many years quiet like at a graveyard until some bars opened in this area. And the bars here in Pattaya can do whatever they want and you can complain until you are dead. Nothing will change until you abandon your condo and move somewhere else. Every idiot with noisy speakers can destroy your investment without any consequences for him. Neither the City Hall nor the police will care. And in my case very many complained together with me for years. 

Earplugs.jpg

16 hours ago, Johnb121257 said:

Ken, genericptr and Bartender

thank you for your reply’s and I think a cheap quieter short term let is the way to go till I can offload this Condo

Richard very good, 5555

many thanks

john

Cosy beach,is quiet..

I leave two ranchsliders and all windows open ,all the time.

Have thai neighbour one side.they never make any noise.

Occassionally,the street dogs wake me,very rarely,a noisy motorbike,sometimes loud laughing from bars below...

If i shut windows,i hear nothing.

Level 24...

Im very satisfied here,but it must be very frustrating in noisy buildings

Not a good time to sell unfortunately.  Perhaps custom built wood/insulated shutters? The white noise of a fan helps. 

In Phuket, we contend with noisy motorcycles, especially sport bikes, for anyone living near the main roads. I eventually got used to the roosters, though I'm on a high floor. 

19 hours ago, Oldie said:

"I don’t know if soundproofing the windows would work - any advice would be greatly appreciated " 

You have to get some in Thailand. Double glazed windows alone don't bring much. You need different glass strengths and big space between the glass. Otherwise it just might get worse. And the deeper the frequency of the noise is the harder it will be to block it. A friend of mine has 12mm + 8mm glass but deep bass frequencies from bars are still not blocked. Such a window construction might help in your case because you don't have such deep frequencies. Also the frames need to block the noise. 

Agreed with all of the above... but, if you have a balcony, you could stick sliding glass doors and windows on the outside ledge. This will significantly reduce noise from the balcony at least, and have the added affect of reducing your aircon bill (better insulation).

Just for reference, I have a mosque near me that I can now barely hear, and the electricity bill for my 108sqm hovers around 1,400 baht a month using the aircon when I am home during the day and  every night.

Edited by Katipo
Additional info

That’s the reason I will never buy , maybe if they offered a couple of free nights before you move in , I wouldn’t buy a house either , not much space between houses here ridiculous all this land , who knows who move next door maybe 100 Rai in every direction 

• Like 1

The best earplugs I have found are made by 3M:  310-1101 Classic Plus Disposable Foam Uncorded Earplugs.  I've used them for over 10 years for sleeping at night.  Buy them in a box of 200 pairs from Amazon.com.

The cost delivered to your home here in Thailand is $34 + $44 (the latter is for delivery and the import charges) = $78 US (about 2,400Baht).  I use each pair of ear plugs twice, so a box of 200 pairs last 400 days (6Baht per day).  3M states that these plugs reduce noise by 33Db.

NOTE:  Buy the Classic PLUS version, as that is their highest Db reduction, and be sure you are ordering the UNCORDED type.

Sometimes, if the noise level is SEVERE (such as renovations in the adjacent condo unit), I wear my Bose noise-cancelling earphone in addition to the earplugs.  It is exceedingly rare that I don't have a good night's sleep (and I am a light sleeper!).

10 Pair 3M Ear Classic Plus Uncorded Earplugs 310-1101 for sale online |  eBay

Edited by LarryLEB

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They are no good at all, I use the ones from boots, wax ones with cotton. Cut one on half and mold them into your ears makes a very good sound barrier, sound cancelling headphone should be called sound reduction, they are not that great. I have plugs in almost all the time dogs are the most annoying these days, and I can't hear what the mrs is on about either! Noise is a big problem here.

"" and I can't hear what the mrs is on about either! ""

Have you considered short term rental ?
some people might want to move to your place for a month or two.

Joking aside, most apartment I have seen are built to ventilate through windows, no ventilation shafts that I remember.
So, even if you were to put heavy duty doors and windows, it will not solve your problem unless you can find sound damping ventilation boxes to go with the double or triple glazed windows.

Another consideration would be to dump the condo instead of putting expensive upgrades that will not be recoverable, and pick up another one with good value for money in another neighbourhood.
Look at it as a swap, and forget about the sum you paid. Other Condo will have similar loss in value.

Edited by KKr