Thai bank gives thumbs up to STV plan - "wealthy" tourists with high spending power best place to start

webfact

47 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Updated 02 September

Travellers arriving in Maldives from 10 September 2020 will be required to provide a negative coronavirus test result on arrival.

Persons who have a history of contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 within the past 14 days and/or persons who have fever or respiratory symptoms such as cough, sore throat, shortness of breath within the past 14 days should not travel to Maldives

Tourists are not allowed to travel to other islands or to the capital city, Malé.

https://visitmaldives.s3.amazonaws.com/Z7wzGbYW/owowl0oq.pdf

Ok, that seems to be new. Still a far cry from being quarantined to a hotel room for two weeks.

The problem is how are the Thai embassies going to determine whether a tourist is rich or not before giving them their 'special tourist visa'?\

I thought Thailand already have an elite visa for rich tourists so why another visa category?

Do they have to prove they are bringing 1 million baht to Thailand to spend? 

Another one of those hare-brained scheme.

Edited by EricTh

Why would your generally wealthy tourist want to come here and jump through all the hoops unless they are somehow connected to the place through family or business etc. You may be able to appeal to the hordes of ill-mannered Chinese but that is hardly a victory on the quality front. Can't have your cake and eat it. As an aside, then TAT really does need to stop chasing-the-dragon on a daily basis and issuing nonsense stats.

11 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Let's face it, Thailand is not a jewel on the mountain every soul across the world aspires to visit.  As matter of fact, there is nothing really unique offered, nothing not available at dozens if not hundreds of other locations all over the world.  And Bangkok is a dirty, loud, crowded, stinking city.

The draw has always been and always will be easy to get to and relatively cheap.  Impose up front costs, bureaucratic nonsense to acquire visas/permission to travel, a forced quarantine and Thailand as a tourist destination is finished.  The entire world will get the message pretty darn qwik and another easy to get to, cheap destination will be bursting at the seams with new tourists that used to go to Thailand.

Finally somebody tells the truth about Thailand and Bangkok which is an open sewer.

• Like 1

So... My 4-years in Thailand I have spent about 1-million baht a year, I am just an average guy... not rich not poor. So, how about Thailand use the retirement visa system already in place that requires; medical certification (just add covid test), income verification, criminal background check, medical insurance. Don’t market the countries that have lowest covid go after the ones that are higher. Even in the USA that handled the pandemic poorly, only 2% of the population has been infected. Besides gonna tests everyone be and after coming to Thailand and quarantine. If my spending is average, that would generate 1-billion baht a year for every 1,000 new expats brought into the country and that’s money being spent with the common Thai business not the busses at the foreign owned jewelry stores. But maybe I am missing something...

14 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Let's face it, Thailand is not a jewel on the mountain every soul across the world aspires to visit.  As matter of fact, there is nothing really unique offered, nothing not available at dozens if not hundreds of other locations all over the world.  And Bangkok is a dirty, loud, crowded, stinking city.

The draw has always been and always will be easy to get to and relatively cheap.  Impose up front costs, bureaucratic nonsense to acquire visas/permission to travel, a forced quarantine and Thailand as a tourist destination is finished.  The entire world will get the message pretty darn qwik and another easy to get to, cheap destination will be bursting at the seams with new tourists that used to go to Thailand.

Sure, but it’s MY dirty, loud, crowded, stinking city. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Though many details are still to be ironed out

like why wealthy people would come to holiday in a police/army state where marauding packs of wild dogs roam the sois and road deaths are the 2nd worst in the world; like the inbred corruption that allows cop-killers to walk free; oh and the dearth of places to go in the evening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

like why wealthy people would come to holiday in a police/army state where marauding packs of wild dogs roam the sois and road deaths are the 2nd worst in the world; like the inbred corruption that allows cop-killers to walk free; oh and the dearth of places to go in the evening.

Thailand is still a beautiful country, isn't it? And they protect their own people as much as they can. 

Farangs will come back as soon as they are vaccinated. And it will be mostly young students who spend their parents' money here. Or pensioners who move to one of these new homes for the elderly. 

Just now, micmichd said:

Thailand is still a beautiful country, isn't it? And they protect their own people as much as they can. 

Farangs will come back as soon as they are vaccinated. And it will be mostly young students who spend their parents' money here. Or pensioners who move to one of these new homes for the elderly. 

They protect their own people?  The whole country is populated by me-first folk; abandoned babies/wives/corrupt police/MPs.

Young students (AKA backpackers) are not the wealthy people the bank has in mind.

There may well be pensioners who want to move into new homes but not if they want to own it or, if from UK, they fancy having their state pension frozen. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They protect their own people?  The whole country is populated by me-first folk; abandoned babies/wives/corrupt police/MPs.

Young students (AKA backpackers) are not the wealthy people the bank has in mind.

There may well be pensioners who want to move into new homes but not if they want to own it or, if from UK, they fancy having their state pension frozen. 

Of course the country (like any country in the world) is populated by me-first folk. Even you and me, we're two of them.  

Of course you can buy an apartment in one of these homes for the elderly, or rent one. You just cannot pass your property to any heirs. 

Bad if your state pension is frozen. Mine as a German member of the Pension Insurances is not. But the Pension insurance funds has taken enough money from me when I worked, and now they pay back. 

Germany will need many immigrants for keeping the insurance going. I don't care what colour of skin they are or where they come from as long as they work and contribute to the social security funds. 

Generally, property in Thailand is actually a bad idea because you will never be the owner of the land where your property is built on. This idea of "native land only for natives" is common all over South Asia now, and I consider it fair. 

Edited by micmichd

If this plan persists, and other countries in the region react similarly, it is not difficult to predict a major tourism boom in Southern Europe next spring/summer.

Even the Chinese will prefer to go there. Crete and Mallorca get your prawn buffets ready!

Edited by Ganesh108
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

If this plan persists, and other countries in the region react similarly, it is not difficult to predict a major tourism boom in Southern Europe next spring/summer.

Even the Chinese will prefer to go there. Crete and Mallorca get your prawn buffets ready!

Yes. A restart of global tourism would be fine, also for Thailand. Even for Issan and Pattaya with a new infrastructure. 

They are targeting wealthy tourists as most of the economy seats into Thailand are reserved for Thai nationals returning to Thailand. 

Only Business and first are left, whoch when added to ASQ means you have spent 300'000 per person before you have even  experienced the privilege of Thailand's freedom.

• Like 1