Feeding the hungry ghosts in Songkhla

webfact

Feeding the hungry ghosts in Songkhla

By THE NATION

800_b6639073ee8ea83.jpg?v=1600347453

Crowds of worshippers are gathering at Wat Wang Yai Temple in Songkhla province, where “hungry ghosts” are said to be roaming in search of peace this month.

a6.jpg

The 10th Lunar Festival is a major event in the religious calendar of southern Buddhists, an occasion to show respect and gratitude to their dead ancestors with merit-making ceremonies.

A highlight is the Ching Pret ceremony in which alms are offered to Prets (hungry ghosts).

a9.jpg

Haunted by desire and attachment in life, the ghosts are afflicted with an insatiable hunger for a particular item or substance – symbolised by their emaciated bodies, small mouths and large, grasping hands.

a15.jpg

At the temple, snacks and drinks are placed on a high platform so that Pretas can reach them.

Once the spirit feast is over, locals rush to snatch (“ching”) the snacks, now believed to be blessed by spirits of their grateful ancestors.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394719

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-18

5 hours ago, webfact said:

a9.jpg

Haunted by desire and attachment in life, the ghosts are afflicted with an insatiable hunger for a particular item or substance – symbolised by their emaciated bodies, small mouths and large, grasping hands.

OK, I get it now...

On 9/17/2020 at 9:53 PM, webfact said:

At the temple, snacks and drinks are placed on a high platform so that Pretas can reach them.

Any ghoulash or poultry geist on offer ? followed by a bit of booberry pie for after's .. 

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Cheesy Wotsits. Definitely lacking in culture, but do contain: Dried Cheese, Milk Lactose, Flavour Enhancer.

Wotsit down ? I'm hamming a sandwich a minute .. I'll Brie back with something a bit more krafted later ..

Archived