Anyone own a BMW in Thailand? How do you rate it?

bbabythai

Im interested to know if anyone has purchased a BM this yr or last yr. How do you rate it? Its made in Thailand. Is it still up to European standards?

Final question is... and it applies to any model of car. How do you know when picking up a new car on the day that your getting the most recent 2020 model. Is the seat belt lable the only place to check? I once saw a guy under the car rubbing a pencil sideways with an a4 paper. He was able to sketch an imprint of the cars rego number I assume? Does that have the manufacture date?

thanks

I am driving a 5-series and the only problem is durability.

I have had it for 14 years and since cars don't rust in Thailand, it is not even half way through is lifespan.

The car will probably end up outliving me. 

Awesome ride and handling. Maintenance have really been minimum. Only minor things along the years.

A 3 year old car sell for about 55% of the new price, making it somewhat reasonable.

• Like 2

I have a F10 525D and like it a lot. No special issues other than normal maintenance and wear and tear. I like the comfort, handling, sportiness, etc. I don't think I can get the same driving experience from a Japanese car. I could be mistaken.

It does 4.8L/100km on a typical Bangkok-Korat trip (double that in the city) and I do that back and forth every weekend plus other trips (about 25 KM a year). So quite economical from a fuel consumption point of view.

Maintenance at the dealer is expensive, you'll need to find a reliable indy garage. There are quite a few of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, bbabythai said:

How do I check that on a BM? Does it show 2020 if buying this yr?

Just ask - they will be honest about it. Price is usually different. Plus discounts if you are willing to go with last years.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:24 PM, samtab said:

What else ? Someone who had German cars and now drive Jap trash cannot really know what he is talking about...

I have never and will never have a jap trash as a car. So, when do you talk about your your 300HP and turbo on you $hit mazdatrash ?

And about alpha males, ask your wife, she might like then but you are just too blind to see it ! I have done more married Thai than you might have done any woman in your whole life, so I guess that I also know what I am talking about, just like cars !

I dunno - I drive German - but I would love a Nissan Skyline - that's one helluva car. Trouble is - taxed up the wazoo to bring one over. 

Not all Japanese cars are worse than all BMW/Mercs.

Just most of them ????

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 1:36 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I like BMW, I had a few of them back home.

But in Thailand it seems sometimes things are difficult. I knew a guy who was big boss of an international company. He had a 7-series stretch, money was no issue.

After a while he was so fed-up with BMW's service that he bought a Japanese car. It looks sometimes things took forever. I.e. a motorcycle crashed into a door and it took over a month to get a new door.

I don't know how this situation is for the BMWs which are sold in higher numbers. Maybe for them BMW has lots of spare parts in stock. Be careful with something special. 

No - this is normal for all.

For some reason - they ship doors here for the factory assembly but doors for repairs come from Germany. You'd think they could just get one from the factory but nope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Because they actually seemed to care and I like good people. The dealer even said that if BMW corporate would not sort it - then they would themselves (Europa Motor Charan).

I had a very good experience dealing with BMW HQ directly when I was living in Munich. My car got stolen (M3) on a holiday trip and it was found trashed. BMW went way beyond call of duty and they returned it to me practically new, after a couple of weeks at the factory workshop. They also fought a huge battle with the insurance company, that I only saw in the papers after I got them. I also received invitations to track days, got to test drive some models before they were released for sales, etc. But you can't really expect that level of service excellence here.

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I had a very good experience dealing with BMW HQ directly when I was living in Munich. My car got stolen (M3) on a holiday trip and it was found trashed. BMW went way beyond call of duty and they returned it to me practically new, after a couple of weeks at the factory workshop. They also fought a huge battle with the insurance company, that I only saw in the papers after I got them. I also received invitations to track days, got to test drive some models before they were released for sales, etc. But you can't really expect that level of service excellence here.

That's excellent. 

I've heard mixed reviews about some dealers but Europa are amazing. And my dealings with BMW corporate here were too. 

I doubt you'd easily get on multiple calls with Toyota senior management as easily as BMW. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Oh ye have little faith.  My 2010 Toyota Fortuner I sold last year had 250,000 Km on it, serviced regularly and still ran like a top.  Sold it to buy my new Cayenne, wouldn't own a Beemer if I was paid to or given it for free. 

So you'd turn down a free M5? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Of course I would.  Just not a fan of any Beemer, never liked them, Mercedes on the other hand I have had a few over the years started with an 1982 240D, then moved to a 1986 420 SEL.  All uphill after that.  Mix of Mercedes and Porsche's, before I made the ultimate mistake and bought a Jaguar, a total piece of trash.

lolol on Jag. I do know people in the UK that rate the new ones. 

Cayenne is a lovely car. I always fancied the Panammera but I'm just not at the point that's in my price range. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

lolol on Jag. I do know people in the UK that rate the new ones. 

Cayenne is a lovely car. I always fancied the Panammera but I'm just not at the point that's in my price range. 

Decided to spend the money after I closed up my International Investigations Business because of Covid, and truly retired.  No need to have another vehicle here, and instead of a Big Bike I got rid of my HD and bought a Yamaha XMax-300 for running around here in Bangkok.  Still have my 2016 Mercedes E350 sport in the States, along with another Toyota the Fortuner's cousin the 2018 4Runnner TRD Pro.  One day I might get to go back to the States to visit, but if not the house and cars are in good hands.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Oh ye have little faith.  My 2010 Toyota Fortuner I sold last year had 250,000 Km on it, serviced regularly and still ran like a top.  Sold it to buy my new Cayenne, wouldn't own a Beemer if I was paid to or given it for free. 

The Cayenne is such a boring car in my opinion, I'm more an Aventador man, but can't decide between the blue and red.

Decisions, maybe I take one of each.

• Haha 1