Rugby World Cup 2007

Argentina need to be cool and win the game with a maximum of professionalism and a minimum of fuss. They need the four tries for the bonus point but there is no need to grind Georgia in the dust. There are much bigger fish for the Argentina to fry later in the tournament

Argentina 33 Georgia 3

Job done. Great defence from the Georgians. They held them at bay for the first half restricting the Pumas to just a couple of penalties. They look to have improved since the last World Cup. Second half Argentina got the tries they needed for the bonus point with seconds to spare. Good professional job.

Roll on Pumas

The Pumas grinded out the win, but it was agonising to watch MB. A wins a win as they say but I think they need to improve somewhat. I suppose it was their 2nd 15 playing and perhaps they were still recovering from the game against France.

Georgia made a good effort, nearly scored from their own 22 from a breakout, but didnt have the legs. Big physical team but lacking skill level.

It will be interesting how Argentina will go against Ireland, and France vs Ireland. This is an interesting pool, as is pool A.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vickery suspended for two matches

England captain Phil Vickery will miss the World Cup games against South Africa and Samoa after a two-game ban for tripping USA centre Paul Emerick.

The 31-year-old Vickery has 48 hours to appeal against the ban and the England camp are considering their position.

South Africa-born Matt Stevens will replace Vickery in the team to face the Springboks on Friday, with New Zealander Perry Freshwater coming on to the bench.

BBC

More England misery!

Thought I would just fix it up for a little Milt. :o

nice to see youre up and about Chuchok

can they do it? :o

Samoa can make quarters - Bunce

2:08PM Monday September 10, 2007

By Edward Gay

Samoa have enough to beat England and go through to the quarter finals, said former Samoa international and All Black Frank Bunce.

Samoa were competitive against South Africa in the first half, despite their 59 - 7 loss on the weekend.

Manu Samoa fans can boast of pushing England to the wire in Melbourne in 2003 and making the quarter finals in 1995 before being thumped by champions to-be South Africa

The side performed well in this year's Pacific Nations Cup and Bunce, who was in Samoa to farewell the team, said the squad was in good physical shape but might be let down by their set-phases.

"They're strength is they're all natural ball players. Forwards run like backs and backs do everything forwards do - they have the strength," Bunce said.

gavin230.jpg

Samoa's Gavin Williams on his way to scoring his side's only try against South Africa. Photo / Reuters

will NH rugby ever recover?

Grim malaise haunts northerners

5:00AM Wednesday September 12, 2007

By Peter Bills

The nervous starts by Northern Hemisphere teams at the World Cup have confirmed the suspicion that the game has declined in this part of the world.

Excessive coaching, excessive wage packets and excessive hype of young men increasingly unfamiliar with the demands of normal everyday life are among the reasons.

Players accustomed to modest standards in the physically obsessed, kicking-riddled club rugby of Europe have been exposed on the world stage. There are doubts that donning the England jersey, or indeed the French one, now means as much as a Springbok jersey - or better still an All Black one.

The rigid organisation imposed on France by meticulous coach Bernard Laporte sits uneasily on Gallic shoulders. The French are a free-spirited people, maverick and complicated. You can accuse them of much - but never of predictability.

Laporte has defied national characteristics with his methods and the players look lost, bereft of the inspiration and individuality that has traditionally hallmarked French teams.

England's plight is of a different nature. In an unusually forthright view, veteran back-row forward Lawrence Dallaglio confessed that Brian Ashton's team are now at the stage where it ought to have been three years ago - a few senior generals guiding the young foot soldiers.

That's the fault of years of muddle and mismanagement by the Rugby Football Union. Their judgment in retaining the coaching staff from 1999 to 2003 and then, worse, jettisoning them late in the four-year cycle between World Cups, invited the chaos in which England find themselves.

The culprits are to be found hiding back at England headquarters, Twickenham, not on the training fields of France.

England cannot play at the pace demanded by the modern game and they are not as physically imposing as they like to believe, a point the South Africans should emphasise in Paris on Saturday.

Jake White's four-year obsession with England is not merited. For all his protestations that the holders will uncork a world-class performance at the expense of the Springboks, the reality is that England don't have it in them.

White has continually donned earmuffs and dark glasses whenever the subject has turned to England. But you should play what you see, not what the mind fantasises. If the Boks don't beat this shambles of a team by a clear 15-20 points they're not the side I believe them to be.

Ireland, to borrow Winston Churchill's World War II description of Russia, are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Capable of supreme excellence and gross mediocrity almost at the same moment, they frustrate their many fans by their continued near misses.

It could be a similar story this time for either they or France, it now seems, will fail to qualify for the quarter-finals.

The zenith of Scotland's ambitions in this tournament, to beat Italy and finish runners-up in their pool, reveal their declined status. Wales, similarly, are not serious contenders, and Italy's limitations were brutally exposed by the All Blacks.

This grim malaise among the Northern Hemisphere teams has been masked by the huge funds pouring into the game in this part of the world, chiefly from two sources - TV and the corporate market. But neither has rugby in its roots. Each is an ephemeral visitor likely to move on when the party appears over. For the moment, the delusion continues: season ticket sales for the English Premiership clubs are again up, TV interest grows.

But no one is asking: "What are we seeing, where is the quality"? The answer is damning. The event has overtaken the product. So it's no wonder so flawed a system is producing players of inferior quality.

The Southern Hemisphere should dominate this lopsided World Cup. I believe a New Zealand v South Africa final will ensue. But maybe not even that grim state of affairs for the Northern Hemisphere nations will induce change. When finance dictates all, the dawn of realisation can be endlessly postponed.

We should admire the qualities of this New Zealand side. They, at least, are playing a game true to the traditions of this splendid sport.

* Peter Bills is chief rugby correspondent for Independent News & Media in London

are you implying that the Wallabies are sheepshagers, and what is the aussie convict doing to the sheep other than choking it.

Heavens no. I think the nice Wallaby is just giving it the Heimlich Manouvre to stop it choking.

On second thoughts, the second photo is probably just a Kiwi shepherd trying to to stop the lamb from choking.

Either that, or he is pulling its head around for a bit of mouth to mouth.

The mind boggles :D

any chance of getting back to the thread :D

anyway, :o

tonights game pits Tonga vs USA.

USA have just come off a physical game against England 4 days ago, so will need to front up against another physical side in Tonga.

Although both teams are unlikely to make the quarter finals, the game is being played in good spirits.

In the opening moments, Tonga scored a try from a maul that was well constructed.

Both teams traded penalties with the score at 13-3 at half time to Tonga.

The mind boggles :D

any chance of getting back to the thread :D

anyway, :o

tonights game pits Tonga vs USA.

USA have just come off a physical game against England 4 days ago, so will need to front up against another physical side in Tonga.

Although both teams are unlikely to make the quarter finals, the game is being played in good spirits.

In the opening moments, Tonga scored a try from a maul that was well constructed.

Both teams traded penalties with the score at 13-3 at half time to Tonga.

Fulltime Tonga 25-15 USA

other games on tonight......

Japan vs Fiji

Italy vs Romania

dont think I will be watching these games, as I may suffer from RWC telly watching burnout. I have watched 9 of 10 games so far. :D

I didnt even go thru a conditioning programme for this RWC, so fatigue is setting in early. Lets hope I recover in time for the Eng vs SA game in a few days. :o

other games on tonight......

Japan vs Fiji

Italy vs Romania

dont think I will be watching these games, as I may suffer from RWC telly watching burnout. I have watched 9 of 10 games so far. :D

I didnt even go thru a conditioning programme for this RWC, so fatigue is setting in early. Lets hope I recover in time for the Eng vs SA game in a few days. :o

Fiji 35 - Japan 31

managed to catch the last 10 mins of the game. It looked like an entertaining game, boths teams willing to spread the ball at every opportunity, with Fiji coming up with the win. Last phase of play lasted over 4 mins over the normal match time, with the Japanese trying everything to cross the Fijian line.

I have a feeling Fiji maybe a "handful" against Wales,they can run all day, break tackles, and play an expansive game.

Morning Donny, morning everyone (please read in the voice of Richie Benaud)

dont think I will be watching these games, as I may suffer from RWC telly watching burnout.

Lightweight :o

I have a feeling Fiji maybe a "handful" against Wales,they can run all day, break tackles, and play an expansive game.

Donny is Fiji can only shade it against Japan they won'y cause Wales too many problems. Although it would be fun if they did. :D

USA 15 Tonga 25

Didn't get to see any of the games last night so have just read the reports. Italy will be very disappointed with their WC so far. They are a better side than a 6 point win against Romania.

England V South Africa Buildup

Burger out with a well deserved suspension, given a 4 game ban which will hurt the BOks although he is appealing.

De Villiers out of the cup injured. Got to feel sorry for Jan who also missed the 2003 RWC through injury. Van Heerden and Steyn decent players but a step down in class so that's got to be to England's advantage.

For England Stevens in to cover Vickery's suspension that's OK Matt will do a good job but Farrell at fly half for an injured Barkley?? I hope to hel_l I'm proved wrong and Farrell has a stormer but is Ashton turning into a comedian. Ex rugby league props are not generally suited to playing the role of play maker in English rugby's most important game for 4 years. I am astounded. :o Surely Mike Catt at 10 would have been a better option.

Still get behind your boys - come on Andy get those Boks :D

Morning Donny, morning everyone (please read in the voice of Richie Benaud)
dont think I will be watching these games, as I may suffer from RWC telly watching burnout.

Lightweight :o

Donny is Fiji can only shade it against Japan they won'y cause Wales too many problems. Although it would be fun if they did. :D

USA 15 Tonga 25

Didn't get to see any of the games last night so have just read the reports. Italy will be very disappointed with their WC so far. They are a better side than a 6 point win against Romania.

no, call it a selective policy, to keep my interest in the game. I should be "watch every match ready" by october :D

Burger out with a well deserved suspension, given a 4 game ban which will hurt the BOks although he is appealing.

De Villiers out of the cup injured. Got to feel sorry for Jan who also missed the 2003 RWC through injury. Van Heerden and Steyn decent players but a step down in class so that's got to be to England's advantage.

For England Stevens in to cover Vickery's suspension that's OK Matt will do a good job but Farrell at fly half for an injured Barkley?? I hope to hel_l I'm proved wrong and Farrell has a stormer but is Ashton turning into a comedian. Ex rugby league props are not generally suited to playing the role of play maker in English rugby's most important game for 4 years. I am astounded. :D Surely Mike Catt at 10 would have been a better option.

Yes this game should be a classic. England need to improve their performance on their shaky start to the RWC or its going to be a long day. South Africa-will they show their mettle as they are down on a few good players.

Im tending to say that this could be a rugby lesson dealt to the current RWC holders, sorry MB, but once again, should the conditions be suited to fast, expansive play, we could see England beaten by 30 points. The loser will most likely see Australia in the Quarters.

theres still hope MB :o

For England Stevens in to cover Vickery's suspension that's OK Matt will do a good job but Farrell at fly half for an injured Barkley?? I hope to hel_l I'm proved wrong and Farrell has a stormer but is Ashton turning into a comedian. Ex rugby league props are not generally suited to playing the role of play maker in English rugby's most important game for 4 years. I am astounded. :o Surely Mike Catt at 10 would have been a better option.

With all these injuries to players and suspensions, making them unavailable to play, Im glad that our All Black coach has had the foresight to create depth within our squad. Many NZers were questioning his decisions about the rotation policy and trialing of players in test matches, so he could blood players in different combinations, et al. Great vision Mr Henry. :D

Yes this game should be a classic. England need to improve their performance on their shaky start to the RWC or its going to be a long day. South Africa-will they show their mettle as they are down on a few good players.

Im tending to say that this could be a rugby lesson dealt to the current RWC holders, sorry MB, but once again, should the conditions be suited to fast, expansive play, we could see England beaten by 30 points. The loser will most likely see Australia in the Quarters.

That's assuming England have enough to roll the Pacific Islanders; based on their performance against USA they might struggle against Samoa AND tonga.

Would LOVE to see the Samoan lads roll them back to the white pali cliffs of Dover; if any of the Pac Is teams make it to the round of 8, it may force SANZAR to see reason and include them into super 14 and tri nations.

That's assuming England have enough to roll the Pacific Islanders; based on their performance against USA they might struggle against Samoa AND tonga.

Would LOVE to see the Samoan lads roll them back to the white pali cliffs of Dover; if any of the Pac Is teams make it to the round of 8, it may force SANZAR to see reason and include them into super 14 and tri nations.

If any PI teams make it thru the next round, it would more than likely be Samoa. We will see soon as they play each other on Sunday.

I dont think it would be any time soon that we see them in the tri-nations, even if they managed to get to the next round. SANZAR makes its money from selling the tv rights to the series, I dont think having Samoa added to the mix, would generate much more income, even thou I would love to see them there.

Argentina would be the better choice, even thou it meant more travel

Now, if USA/Canada was to play better, who knows, then you might have an interesting proposal.

A pacific rim plus SA competition. This could be 10 years + away I would think, or if ever.

Catt takes England fly-half role

England's Mike Catt says he, rather than Andy Farrell, will play at fly-half in his side's crucial World Cup clash with South Africa on Friday.

BBC

I thought Farrell at 10 sounded nonsensical.

Come on England mighty underdogs :D

There doesnt seem to be much depth in the England side at all. :D

the combination between Catt and the half back will be targeted for sure by the Boks, and poor old Johhny still out with injury. Doesnt bode well for Englands kicking game.

Can the Current RWC champions claim underdog status? :D

Come on!! - when the going gets tough, the tough get going! Right MB? I want to see a bit more fight in this England side, but so far theyre not playing to their full potential. The first 10 mins will be telling, either they will stand up or be like Italy vs the All Blacks, a bunch of stunned mullets.

Whats your prediction MB? Mine is Boks by 30 plus. :o

and poor old Johhny still out with injury. Doesnt bode well for Englands kicking game.

:o Wheres your Jonny gone.... Wheres your Jonny gone... far far away! :D

Does that mean England will have to score tries then instead of getting all their points off kickers? Man thats gunna be hard for them :D

and poor old Johhny still out with injury. Doesnt bode well for Englands kicking game.

:D Wheres your Jonny gone.... Wheres your Jonny gone... far far away! :D

Does that mean England will have to score tries then instead of getting all their points off kickers? Man thats gunna be hard for them :D

singing off tune abit Wolfie :bah:

Yes, the Boks are a different proposition than USA, or Wales a few weeks ago, where they romped in many tries. Alas, that game is now a very long time ago in the minds of the English. Theres no where to hide come 2am tomorrow. :D:o

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition:

And gentlemen in England now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

:o