Warning! Initial "12 month" retirement visa application.

58 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You really should try to do it yourself,and save 14K i am sure you have better use for it,

I have never,ever used an agent,Last time took me 2 hours total from getting letter from

bank,going to IO, and walking out the door....

regards worgeordie

don't believe we're hearing the 'whole' story here because you are absolutely correct on how easy this is..

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J Town said:

When I went to Jomtien for my initial retirement visa in 2016, I talked to the IO back in room 7 (I believe) and she explained I could do this mountain of paperwork, all in Thai, which included several trips to Bangkok or pay her 19k baht and I'd receive a 15-month visa, extension of stay, and multi re-entry. I had the money in her hand that afternoon.

Desk 7 only does changes of visa,for example from 60 days TR to a 90 days Non-immigrant O. If using the monthly income method you need an income letter from your embassy and that paper has to be certified by the authorities in BKK. That's the only reason for the trip to BKK, and you don't need the income letter to be certified again,just once. This doesn't mean it's worth ฿19,000 instead of a total of ฿3,900. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Jomtien Immigration has been informing people the whole amnesty period to apply for annual extensions as usual,meaning not wait until the amnesty ends. How hard is that to understand? 

They don't understand anything. That's why they argue about a couple of days or required paperwork. They're losers and should ask an agent to help.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

The amnesty was for tourists unable to get flights home not anything to do with people who had or were applying for retirement Visas. It allowed delays in filing of 90 day reporting but I decided to report as normal as I realized that as soon as the amnesty ended the Immigration offices would be overwhelmed. 

It also covered those doing 90 day border runs that couldn't show financials or didn't want to. Since the borders are closed this group lost their means to get visas. IMO TI is happy to get this group cleaned out and/or made legitimate. 

Funny - I have extended my permission of stay twice using the monthly income method and have not required any certification from the US Embassy.  In fact, they don’t issue certifications of income any more.

To the members who have said words to the effect of, "The amnesty was not meant for people like you." 

I say this: I never intended to be here this long, I bought a 90 day non-imm-o (in the UK) as I have done before, simply so that I could stay here --- for 90 days --- without needing to do any extensions, or border-hopping.

It is Covid which has persuaded me that I will be far safer staying here atm than returning to the UK. Having said that, I do like Thailand and expect to be spending a lot more of my retirement here, than in the UK.

To the members who have said words to the effect of, "It's a piece of cake to do the renewal yourself." I would welcome a more detailed guidance on how to do this, by PM if you wish. I am by no means an idiot or illiterate --- but I do not speak/read Thai.

Thanks, in anticipation,

David.

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

You need a new agent!

I got another 1 year extension of stay based on retirement visa from Jomtien last month. 

I just have to do the 90 day report someday. 

But ubonjoe is right. They have some silly German amateurs working down in Jomtien. Like one I met that opened the wrong page in my passport and ran amuck when I told him I have more than one visa for Thailand. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Let me guess what you do with that money you save.......waste it on women ????

regards worgeordie

LoL ???? it boggles the mind.  Some us do not spend a great deal of time and bars and only spend money on 1 woman.

BTW. 90 minutes everything done and out the door.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, davidhen said:

To the members who have said words to the effect of, "The amnesty was not meant for people like you." 

I say this: I never intended to be here this long, I bought a 90 day non-imm-o (in the UK) as I have done before, simply so that I could stay here

So why complain about not getting a 12 month extension when you got exactly what you paid for (a 90 day Non-O + 1 year)

The rest of us only got 1 year from our last permission to stay also (ok, I tell a lie, mine was supposed to be 17th Sept 2021 & I get 26th Sept 2021).

Sit back & enjoy (not being there for) the UK Winter, here’s hoping we can get back in May (my favourite month for visiting “home”), it will be 1year next month since I’ve been back.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nout said:

Best way to do it. Cuts through crowds  cuts down on waiting times and means you are not running around chasing paper work like a hapless peon. Do you drink in a bar or brew your own beer

I had one do my license too I don’t do Queues 

15 hours ago, J Town said:

When I went to Jomtien for my initial retirement visa in 2016, I talked to the IO back in room 7 (I believe) and she explained I could do this mountain of paperwork, all in Thai, which included several trips to Bangkok or pay her 19k baht and I'd receive a 15-month visa, extension of stay, and multi re-entry. I had the money in her hand that afternoon.

You answered a question addressed to NCC1701A. Are you and he the same person?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, J Town said:

When I went to Jomtien for my initial retirement visa in 2016, I talked to the IO back in room 7 (I believe) and she explained I could do this mountain of paperwork, all in Thai, which included several trips to Bangkok or pay her 19k baht and I'd receive a 15-month visa, extension of stay, and multi re-entry. I had the money in her hand 

18k for your initial R visa is a good price. Well worth it.. extensions should be 12k... 

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

retirement extension could not be easier.  takes me two hours a year to do it.

Well of course it could be easier, but I accept your point. Mine takes me maybe a little longer.... an hour preparing all the papers and copies at home. A trip via the bank to immigration, maybe an hour at most there, and a trip there to pick it up the next day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this hapless peon does not drink. 

retirement extension could not be easier.  takes me two hours a year to do it.   

Even my marriage extension only took 1 1/2 hours this year although not at Jomtian. Doing it yourself the first time may be daunting to some but once you have done it you will understand what is required next time, practice makes perfect. What some people pay agents, would keep me in beer for a year+

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, davidhen said:

The reason I used an agent (which BTW only cost THB 14,000) is because of a friend's recommendation, and my personal experience with Jomtien imm'. It cost me 2 afternoons, and THB 300, being passed from counter to counter to photocopier, and back to various counters, simply to get my original visa evidence transferred from my expiring passport into my new one, in order to obtain a certificate of "legal stay status" up to the 26th Sep' (in spite of the amnesty) which Bangkok bank required from me to be able to open a bank a/c as a prelude to my applying for the retirement extension.

I do intend however, to do more research in the run-up to April, with a view to attempting a renewal by myself. Regarding the climate in the UK in April: It's not particularly warm at that time of year, so I don't have a problem being here at that time. Also, it doesn't look like the UK Covid situation will be much improved by April, so I'm quite happy to still be "stranded."

David.   

2 afternoons for 14,000 baht where do i sign up.

13 hours ago, davidhen said:

I say this: I never intended to be here this long, I bought a 90 day non-imm-o (in the UK) as I have done before, simply so that I could stay here --- for 90 days --- without needing to do any extensions, or border-hopping.

It is Covid which has persuaded me that I will be far safer staying here atm than returning to the UK. Having said that, I do like Thailand and expect to be spending a lot more of my retirement here, than in the UK.

To the members who have said words to the effect of, "It's a piece of cake to do the renewal yourself." I would welcome a more detailed guidance on how to do this, by PM if you wish. I am by no means an idiot or illiterate --- but I do not speak/read Thai.

Thanks, in anticipation,

David.

Go to your I O and get the list in english. :post-4641-1156694572:

21 hours ago, J Town said:

Too many people are getting the agents to put up the 800.000 Baht and the io is aware of this practice. So the future the price will only go up, how much, who knows. I hear some agents in CM charge over 40,000 baht a year for this service.

1 hour ago, Wazoo said:

18k for your initial R visa is a good price. Well worth it.. extensions should be 12k... 

I do my own annual extensions. Having the 800k baht in the bank makes it a breeze. It was the initial change from a tourist visa to the non imm o that required the forms in Thai and several trips to Bangkok. I was quite happy to have her do it.

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You really should try to do it yourself,and save 14K i am sure you have better use for it,

I have never,ever used an agent,Last time took me 2 hours total from getting letter from

bank,going to IO, and walking out the door....

regards worgeordie

I've never used an agent and would only do that if there'd be no other way.

14 K would be enough for a one week holiday at a nice beach. 

But not a kind of bribe for what's considered legal. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

It isn't an "amnesty", people (or immigration, no idea who came up with this wording) just established a confusing name for it. Actually it is an automatic extension.

No stamp, no validity, no penalty - simple.

Fortunately the amnesty is now in the rear view mirror and one would hope that these out of context comments will come to an end.

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

No stamp required for it to be valid, but people could get a stamp:

I don't read Thai so I will have to take your word on the content.

It doesn't detract from the fact that this stamp would only confirm exemption from penalty, it does not validate any form of visa status.

The DLT told me I must have a valid permission to stay based on long term visa status to renew a 5 year licence.

As said, hopefully this farce has come to an end.