Amnesty to be extended to October 31

13 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

This isn't North Korea. There's not going to be a dawn raid on your home just because you mentioned this information on an internet forum. Tell us the name of the agent and we'll Google it and assess the information for ourselves.

I'm sure it's fine but in the light of recent news I'd rather be overly cautious than sorry. I'll pm you the links - feel free to look into it and do what you want with them.

9 minutes ago, bjaz said:

I'm sure it's fine but in the light of recent news I'd rather be overly cautious than sorry. I'll pm you the links - feel free to look into it and do what you want with them.

Thanks for the links. The document seems legitimate but it could be a draft that never becomes law. We'll have to wait for Monday.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

What an utterly ignorant and obnoxious post!

And fyi > the 'wasted' 1.900 THB is only tip-of-the-iceberg.

If the Amnesty is extended till October 31 and you made the effort to apply for the Embassy Letter supported 'special' extension, you would:

- have wasted quite some time/effort on getting that now unneeded extension;
- have to return to IO to get the 'under consideration' stamp changed into a valid - but once again needless - stamp (yes, once again time and effort wasted);

- possibly have problems for future Embassy letter extensions as some embassies/IOs have stated they will only issue/handle such special extension ONCE.

Note:

And if you planned to use that special extension as a spring-board for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa application, the 'under consideration period' will make that impossible, as you would get the actual (further useless) extension stamp too late to apply for that Non Imm O Visa (which requires at least 15 days left on your permission to stay when applying).

Yes, the whole situation is horrible and are destroying possibilities for thousands of innocent people on amnesty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

What an utterly ignorant and obnoxious post!

And fyi > the 'wasted' 1.900 THB is only tip-of-the-iceberg.

If the Amnesty is extended till October 31 and you made the effort to apply for the Embassy Letter supported 'special' extension, you would:

- have wasted quite some time/effort on getting that now unneeded extension;
- have to return to IO to get the 'under consideration' stamp changed into a valid - but once again needless - stamp (yes, once again time and effort wasted);

- possibly have problems for future Embassy letter extensions as some embassies/IOs have stated they will only issue/handle such special extension ONCE.

Note:

And if you planned to use that special extension as a spring-board for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa application, the 'under consideration period' will make that impossible, as you would get the actual (further useless) extension stamp too late to apply for that Non Imm O Visa (which requires at least 15 days left on your permission to stay when applying).

This already happened last time the first amnesty was announced, and at the time people were applying for a 30 day covid extension.

So yes everyone will still be required to "close" the under consideration stamp if their intention was to stay past that date.

We have seen a few individuals go back to get their "meet in person" dates moved up so that they would have enough days to apply for a non-immigrant visa.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Anyone have a list of illnesses that would stop you flying?

Just asking.

Vertigo?

If all else fails, board the plane wearing a trenchcoat and start screaming 'god is great' - definitely going to stop you from flying. You'll get free accomodation too in the IDC lol.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jackson B said:

Utter madness. They know the exact number of foreigners on TR. They also know their own operational capacity to process extensions. A simple calculation would have shown the impracticality of the situation.

It was also a dumb move to demand letters from embassies; it only irritated them with pointless paperwork, and created another bottleneck.

The number of foreigners in Thailand today is a tiny fraction of what they deal with on a normal day pre-Covid.  If there's any problem with capacity, it's foreigners procrastinating until the last second to do something.

I suspect they requested letters from embassies to determine whether the long stayers were wanted for crimes back home as opposed to whether their country was locked down.  The latter would be well known to the Thai government.  But Thailand has no way of knowing whether a foreigner is a fugitive murderer or a pedo.  Their embassy should be able to link their passport number to the criminal database back home.  And I suspect there were a lot of nervous foreigners for that very reason.  Even identifying a few "bad guys" would make the request for embassy letters worthwhile, especially if they're offering months and months of hiding out in Thailand.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Promula said:

They wanted 200 million baht in fees to pay this month's IO costs.

Nope. That's not how government financing works. Theoretically at least, all visa fees are a tax, so that money should be returned and deleted from circulation by the treasury. Under-the-table fees, of course don't work that way, and presumably find their way to an annual performance bonus for good work.

What I find shocking (but not surprising) is that no newspaper has dared touch the issue.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

I suspect they requested letters from embassies to determine whether the long stayers were wanted for crimes back home as opposed to whether their country was locked down.  The latter would be well known to the Thai government.  But Thailand has no way of knowing whether a foreigner is a fugitive murderer or a pedo.  Their embassy should be able to link their passport number to the criminal database back home. 

You are drastically overestimating the amount of work the embassies put into issuing these letters.  At least in the case of the US embassy, the process was completely automated and they didn't appear to be doing any checks at all.  They didn't even check if the person was a US citizen.  They would send a letter to anyone who entered any information, even if the name and passport number were not a real US citizen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Why couldn't they have announced this weeks ago?  And kept more tourists here.  I don't mind paying for an extension, but man....I didn't need to pay ????

1900 baht is hardly a kings ransom.

Just look at it as doing your bit for Thailand.

Edited by overherebc

I trust Richard Barrow to check his sources before posting something like this, so I assume that the unsigned document posted by him is legit.

With that said and maybe more of a general remark, such a document in itself doesn't prove anything. I could photoshop something like that myself, just changing the dates from the July document. And so could anyone else for that matter.

This new draft looks identical to the last extensions (besides of the dates), so probably the Cabinet has to decide if they approve it or not.

Thus we won't know if it will be accepted until Tuesday afternoon.

Edited by jackdd

18 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Why couldn't they have announced this weeks ago?  And kept more tourists here.  I don't mind paying for an extension, but man....I didn't need to pay ????

Think about it. They wanted tourists to get either the correct Visa extensions or go home if they couldn't.

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I trust Richard Barrow to check his sources before posting something like this, so I assume that the unsigned document posted by him is legit.

With that said and maybe more of a general remark, such a document in itself doesn't prove anything. I could photoshop something like that myself, just changing the dates from the July document. And so could anyone else for that matter.

The source is this forum. But yeah hopefully he verified it. 

9 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Same-same.  It's not a coincidence that this letter leaks out on 27-Sept.  There must have been strict instructions from above for all officers/agents to keep silent about the plan so that they could collect as many of the UNNECESSARY  1900baht and long-stay applications as possible before announcing what they already knew they would do !!!
Amazing Thailand !!!  ???? 

unnecessary 1900 baht, you must be kidding me.  You must also be one of those supposedly millionaire digital nomads who in reality is a cheap Charlie and who lives on 100 baht a day.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

In front page that document is year 2522 so if they make document to sign up! Maybe should put even right year! 2563! :hit-the-fan:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jackson B said:

Nope. That's not how government financing works. Theoretically at least, all visa fees are a tax, so that money should be returned and deleted from circulation by the treasury. Under-the-table fees, of course don't work that way, and presumably find their way to an annual performance bonus for good work.

What I find shocking (but not surprising) is that no newspaper has dared touch the issue.

its not a suprise as all the media would be scared to say the wrong thing...  or the correct thing, you know what I mean