Unthinkable a year ago! Video shows how COVID-19 has turned Walking Street in to a ghost town

webfact

On 10/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Covid did not turn Walking Street into a ghost town. The government did with lockdowns etc.

Same everywhere.

In 1918 to my knowledge more people died and they didn't "lockdown" whole countries.

As I have said before, there are many posts blaming the Thai government's extended closing of boarders for the decimation of Thailand's tourism industry.  There will be a point in time when I will agree, but at the moment, even if the boarders opened tomorrow, does that put planes in the air?  Does that put money in the pockets of tourists to afford a holiday?  Does it ensure they can get back home in time to go back to work? 

There are many reasons why tourists will not be holidaying in Thailand in the foreseeable future, even after Thailand opens its boarders.     

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

As I have said before, there are many posts blaming the Thai government's extended closing of boarders for the decimation of Thailand's tourism industry.  There will be a point in time when I will agree, but at the moment, even if the boarders opened tomorrow, does that put planes in the air?  Does that put money in the pockets of tourists to afford a holiday?  Does it ensure they can get back home in time to go back to work? 

There are many reasons why tourists will not be holidaying in Thailand in the foreseeable future, even after Thailand opens its boarders.     

Take your points BUT.....

Airlines will get back to flying as soon as countries let them in. As an example, Emirates have slowly begun flying to many of the destinations that were closed in March

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-a380-reawakening/   They and some of the other well-funded and organised airlines could probably switch Thailand back on when allowed as they have the capacity.

Your other points don't apply to MANY people who usually travel to Thailand and are self-employed and have carried on working, or are retired and haven't suffered financially.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Airlines will get back to flying as soon as countries let them in.

There is going to be a global pilot shortage.

All the planes on the ground will not be able to have the pilots that flew them some 12 months ago, be able to jump in the cockpit and start flying them again, post Covid.  

Most international pilots around the world are lacking flight hours on their license, 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Covid did not turn Walking Street into a ghost town. The government did with lockdowns etc.

Same everywhere.

In 1918 to my knowledge more people died and they didn't "lockdown" whole countries.

To busy trying to invade others in that time.

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

There is going to be a global pilot shortage.

All the planes on the ground will not be able to have the pilots that flew them some 12 months ago, be able to jump in the cockpit and start flying them again, post Covid.  

Most international pilots around the world are lacking flight hours on their license, 

You can be sure that airlines are planning for that - possibly even putting pilots on otherwise empty aircraft just to get their hours logged.

But yes, it will be a gradual increase as will the numbers of passengers. 

15 hours ago, onebir said:

Can they substitute hours in a simulator?

I believe they can, but there are more planes than simulators, and they will have to be employed again, as simulators are expensive. 

International sized planes will not be taking to the sky straight away, just because boarders have opened.    

1 hour ago, VBF said:

You can be sure that airlines are planning for that - possibly even putting pilots on otherwise empty aircraft just to get their hours logged.

But yes, it will be a gradual increase as will the numbers of passengers. 

Airlines are going broke all around the world.  They have laid off their pilots and cabin crew, and many other staff.  

Do you think they are going to pay a pilots a salary, for flight hours in and empty plane, just so pilots can keep their accreditation for when Covid finishes?  It's not happening.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VBF said:

As I said airlines are planning for that and apparently it will involve a lot of simulator time

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/how-do-pilots-stay-current-in-a-pandemic/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-26/pilots-grounded-by-coronavirus-pandemic-want-pilotkeeper-program/12487308

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52441652

I also said "it will be a gradual increase as will the numbers of passengers."

Remember that if you're a senior at anything, you don't forget it just because you're forced to take time off. Reading the links above, accreditation on simulators will be happening.

With apologies for replying to myself (!) but here's another example

https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways-124-destinations/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily&utm_campaign=03102020

Seems to me that the Middle East airlines are quietly getting back on track...what this will do is sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. 

2 ways of looking at that...it'll get rid of the underperforming, badly managed airlines (anyone know one like that in Thailand?) but it will also reduce competition from the poorer ones. Time will tell.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VBF said:

As I said airlines are planning for that and apparently it will involve a lot of simulator time

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/how-do-pilots-stay-current-in-a-pandemic/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-26/pilots-grounded-by-coronavirus-pandemic-want-pilotkeeper-program/12487308

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52441652

I also said "it will be a gradual increase as will the numbers of passengers."

Remember that if you're a senior at anything, you don't forget it just because you're forced to take time off. Reading the links above, accreditation on simulators will be happening.

I agree with you.  Airlines are aware of the situation.  

The question is, just how many pilots can reaccredit their license in a simulator when international boarders open up.  I am sure there will be a pilot shortage for several months after Covid.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree with you.  Airlines are aware of the situation.  

The question is, just how many pilots can reaccredit their license in a simulator when international boarders open up.  I am sure there will be a pilot shortage for several months after Covid.  

Indeed, but once again referring to the gradual increase in passengers, i think it likely that the shortage in passengers will in some way, alleviate the shortage in pilots.  Take a look at my #104 and the link I posted to Qatar. That's how the clever / rich carriers will do it, IMO. As for the others...I don't know.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 11:34 PM, VBF said:

Indeed, but once again referring to the gradual increase in passengers, i think it likely that the shortage in passengers will in some way, alleviate the shortage in pilots.  Take a look at my #104 and the link I posted to Qatar. That's how the clever / rich carriers will do it, IMO. As for the others...I don't know.

Which is my point.  Many members, including business owners, believe as soon as Thailand opens their boarders, full plane after full plane will be landing here with tourists, almost immediately after the boarders opening.

That's simply not going to be the case, for many reasons, but a pilot shortage was not one that I would have anticipated.      

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Which is my point.  Many members, including business owners, believe as soon as Thailand opens their boarders, full plane after full plane will be landing here with tourists, almost immediately after the boarders opening.

That's simply not going to be the case, for many reasons, but a pilot shortage was not one that I would have anticipated.      

Ny Pilot Shortage, I meant Pilots who were current and ready to fly passengers. 

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Ny Pilot Shortage, I meant Pilots who were current and ready to fly passengers. 

Chicken and egg.

Do airlines pay pilots to reaccredit themselves, whilst there are no passengers flying, or do airlines wait until passenger bookings are up, and then start to pay for reaccrediting pilots?

Either way, as soon as Thailand opens its boarders, that doesn't mean a pilot jumps straight into the cockpit and flies a full plane of tourists into Bangkok.   

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Chicken and egg.

Do airlines pay pilots to reaccredit themselves, whilst there are no passengers flying, or do airlines wait until passenger bookings are up, and then start to pay for reaccrediting pilots?

Either way, as soon as Thailand opens its boarders, that doesn't mean a pilot jumps straight into the cockpit and flies a full plane of tourists into Bangkok.   

You're going around in circles (final approach?)...... re-read this thread and see that it's a gradual effort.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Chicken and egg.

KLM have said that pilots who have not "got their hours in" will have to fly with an instructor untill they are up to speed 

3 hours ago, adammike said:

KLM have said that pilots who have not "got their hours in" will have to fly with an instructor untill they are up to speed 

On a commercial flight?  what bout the First Officer?

How's the instructor keeping his license accredited?   

Yes that's how I remember WS, the clubs are still there , the neon signs, only missing people. 

I did spot 4 white foreigners in the video, probably Russians.   

Enjoy your weekend wherever you are..... 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, jacko45k said:

I do not believe that myself.... it is a sleeping tiger!

I do, Jack. This thing ain't going away and even if the country magically re-opened, they'd be spooked by inevitably rising C numbers and shut up shop again. But even if this disease went away tomorrow, Pattaya (et al) was always in for the chop. The people that run the country (sadly, that aspect ain't going away either) want complete change.