Visa extensions approved under previous amnesty to be upheld until Nov 30

webfact

5 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Until Oct 31st, presumably yes. Either the new 60 day extension, a 30 day embassy letter / medical one, or something more long time.

The wording from PR Thai Government is "Stranded foreigners who wish to stay in Thailand after 31 October must submit an application to an Immigration office by 31 October".

It'd be odd to let them wait until the end of Oct and then let them apply for a 60 day. They could stay until the end of Dec and be better off than those who applied before 26 Sept 

2 minutes ago, Promula said:

I wonder if this 500,000 baht seasoned for six months (in a foreign bank, couldn't be in a Thai bank for most tourists) mentioned on other news items this week will now come into play for these 60 day extensions?

500k? It was 400k all the time. Prices stay the same in Thailand, just the content gets less, like Chang beer ????

12 minutes ago, Promula said:

I wonder if this 500,000 baht seasoned for six months (in a foreign bank, couldn't be in a Thai bank for most tourists) mentioned on other news items this week will now come into play for these 60 day extensions?

The devil will be in the details. At the moment we can only comment on the words in the OP.

Those words I read as  got extension pre 26 sept' you are now ok until end nov'

If you didn't get an extension pre 26 sept' then you might be ok or you might not.

Edited by overherebc

7 minutes ago, Promula said:

It'd be odd to let them wait until the end of Oct and then let them apply for a 60 day. They could stay until the end of Dec and be better off than those who applied before 26 Sept 

Not really 'better off', if someone that applied before 26 Sept wants to apply for a 60 day they can stay until the end of Jan..

Edited by greggraham
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Meaning no further amnesty, just people that got an extension already can stay till end of October.

Having trouble reading the article?It said until Nov 30.It's sort of a Clayton's amnesty!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Foreigners who had already paid B1,900 and been approved an extension to stay of 30 days from Sept 27 under the previous ‘visa amnesty’ will be allowed to stay in Thailand until Nov 30 at no extra cost.

Just now, FarFlungFalang said:

Having trouble reading the article?It said until Nov 30.It's sort of a Clayton's amnesty!

It clearly says it is only valid for people that got an extension granted. Not everybody. No further amnesty. 

• Thanks 1

Such great news! Thank you Thailand. 

As a laid off, voided Non-B holder, am I now just considered a gray area amnesty? I was responsible and applied with my embassy letter prior to Sept. 26th. 

Am I at any greater risk of not being granted further amnesty compared to others who are on extended tourist visas? I guess I am just lumped in with the tourist visa amnesty people now?

Just now, MadMac said:

It clearly says it is only valid for people that got an extension granted. Not everybody. No further amnesty. 

That's why I said it's sort of a Clayton's amnesty like the amnesty you have when you're not having an amnesty.Apologies if you're not an Ozzie and didn't get the meaning of Clayton's.

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

That's why I said it's sort of a Clayton's amnesty like the amnesty you have when you're not having an amnesty.Apologies if you're not an Ozzie and didn't get the meaning of Clayton's.

No, I am not :). German actually.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

So not Mad Max then?No wonder you didn't get the joke but to explain Clayton's is a non alcoholic drink meant to replace whiskey or a scotch and is the drink you have when not having a drink.????

Really? Sounds creepy :D. Fake whiskey, amazing <deleted> Big Pharma comes up with!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

99% of people had absolutely no idea what you were talking about but I suppose as an Aussie you must be used to that.

Too right mate,in fact I'm even use to 99% of Arssies (we come from the arsend of the world) having absolutely no clue what I'm on about and I'm not even included in the 1% that do!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

What about those that didn't manage/forgot to get/ didn't bother/didn't know they had to get an extension pre 26th for this to apply?

Just asking

they couldn't have known beforehand as its only just been announced, but they must be stupid or plain i don't care, to not have known their immigration status had to be sorted by the 26th

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The right thing to do. Well done!

Might be nice to also offer a refund in case people already made plans to leave by the end of their initial 30 days. 

Yeah, the same people who could have left anytime over the last 6 months but didn't because the gov't kept extending the amnesty. They have NO intent, or plans, to leave so long as they can continue to stay here without having to meet any visa requirements.

It would have made sense to consider and decide on an extension well before the end of the current one though, instead of waiting until the day before it expires. I can imagine that the 31 Oct date will be extended until 30 Nov now, but they won't discuss it or come to a decision and make the announcement until 29 Nov (late in the afternoon), instead of doing is say, on the 13th or 16th of the month.

Edited by blackcab
Font normalised
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

So my Non O 60 days extension based on family, that came into effect on Sept 27th, still expires on Nov 27th? 

I'm in a similar dilemma.  My Non O 60 days was granted on 14 Sep and is valid to 12 Nov.

The headline says visas issued while under amnesty, but the article specifies 30 day visas issued under the amnesty.  It is not very clear.

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, the same people who could have left anytime over the last 6 months but didn't because the gov't kept extending the amnesty. They have NO intent, or plans, to leave so long as they can continue to stay here without having to meet any visa requirements.

It would have made sense to consider and decide on an extension well before the end of the current one though, instead of waiting until the day before it expires. I can imagine that the 31 Oct date will be extended until 30 Nov now, but they won't discuss it or come to a decision and make the announcement until 29 Nov (late in the afternoon), instead of doing is say, on the 13th or 16th of the month.

Why's it so funny? Should immigration (or any law enforcement) be encouraging good beahviour or not? Isn't a fundamental of good law enforcement the prevention of crimes? 

The government gave an amnesty. You can stay in the country for x amount of time to sort your stuff out and then you have to go. Fair enough. So do that. Set a deadline and stick to it. If you want to extend the deadline date, then make sure you give notice - otherwise what's the point in extending it? 

Immigration gave warnings of arrests and detainment for people who would go on overstay after the 26th. They were clearly very serious as they made threats and we saw pictures of them with SWAT-looking police. That gave me the impression that overstay, etc, was completely non-negotiable. 

So, back to my first point. Do immigration want people following the rules and getting their stuff together, or do they not care and and prefer to act in a regressive manner? People who couldn't leave went to their embassies and got letters proving they couldn't leave. They were granted a 30-day extension. They followed the rules. People who couldn't be bothered or guessed the amnesty would be extended didn't bother and spent zero time, energy or money.

Now, do you think people will be more or less likely to think the amnesty will be extended again, so they won't bother doing anything and could well be on overstay this time? I'm guessing more people will assume it will be extended again. And if that's the case, immigration will have a s*** load of overstayers on their hands (you know, the one thing they so clearly didn't want) if the amnesty officially ends the end of October.

People who paid the money, but who've already booked a ticket to leave come the end of October have effectively paid money 'cos they followed the rules. People who didn't have paid nothing and have effectively been rewarded for not following the rules.

Refunding 1900 baht to people who can prove they're going by the end of October is a nice gesture that will encourage people to follow the rules. But hey, maybe I'm an idealist. Are immigration serious about deterring bad behaviour or not? You can't have your cake and eat it. 

• Thanks 1

I've already sorted  my visa  non o for 3 months till 6th December will be gutted if this is true !  Wished they would have just said pay your 1,900 by per month on line stay till it's safe to return to your country  !  Not looking for anything  free ! 

Edited by Kevin brummie
  • Like 1