O-A visaholders ( retirement) allowed to return Thailand

Health Insurance for the duration of stay in Thailand?  Since my Retirement visa expires next June, does that mean insurance until then??

It is difficult not to think that these rules are being made up as they go along.  Official Government Policy?

2 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

I can not find anything on the Thai London Embassy site or on their Facebook page.  Has anyone else seen anything regarding people in the UK?

I emailed them yesterday and am awaiting their reply. Usually they reply within 48 hours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Health Insurance for the duration of stay in Thailand?  Since my Retirement visa expires next June, does that mean insurance until then??

It is difficult not to think that these rules are being made up as they go along.  Official Government Policy?

All  O-A and O-X visa holders must have insurance bought from here

https://longstay.tgia.org/      you need to to get the visa, you must be on a non 0 (retirement) which does not need insurance

Edited by howerde
MISSING TEXT

28 minutes ago, mlkik said:

If you have a non o and want to re enter Thailand you do need the insurance.

No, The insurance you need to enter is $100 000 covid 19  insurance only,  for o-a or o-x you need comprehensive  insurance from the link i posted

On 9/29/2020 at 5:31 PM, damascase said:

Thanks, that could be the explanation. However, just read on a Dutch blog that someone was told by the Thai Embassy in The Hague that all non-O’s were invalid from now on and only O-A en O-X visa holders would qualify. I can hardly believe this to be correct, but we’ll learn more about it soon, I hope.

So far they allow only OA and OX acc to Thai embassy Berne as long as your visa is still valid. You cannit apply for a new one at present.

3 hours ago, Adelphi said:

I can not find anything on the Thai London Embassy site or on their Facebook page.  Has anyone else seen anything regarding people in the UK?

The UK still has a backlog, I believe, of people trying to return to their Thai family members. That might explain a delay before allowing retirees into the mix.

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 1:12 PM, tonray said:

We O-A holders can't think of a reason for the difference in treatment of insurance requirments either considering identical requirements for extensions. But Thai policy is often illogical and confused 

Remember,  O-A visa holders need health insurance to renew the visa.  non-imm O visa holders don't.

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

More than likely it is a nothing story. The only reason to seperate the non-o visa from the non-o-a visa is the insurance requirement for o-a holder. But a little embassy in a little country, non-sense

At the moment all those hoping to return to Thailand will need insurance....

8 hours ago, mlkik said:

If you have a non o and want to re enter Thailand you do need the insurance.

Irrespective on which Visa you are, when re-entering Thailand there is now the mandatory requirement for covid-19 insurance that provides at least 100.000 US $ coverage.

If your health-insurance policy does not meet that covid-19 coverage requirement

https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance/  offers flexible monthly covid-19 insurance with much higher coverage (200K US $) at approx half the premium you would pay for a Thai covid-19 insurance.

When re-entering on a Non Imm O-A Visa you would on top of the above also need a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage requirements.

LMG Insurance Plan 1 (200K) policy is the cheapest 'throw-away' policy that meets the IO requirements and sells for less than half the annual premium fee than the next cheapest option.

PM me if you are interested in subscribing to that LMG Insurance Non Imm O-A compliant policy and I will sent you a comprehensive guideline document with tips & caveats on how to do that

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

Thai Embassy here accepting valid O-A / X-O, Non O Retirement holders for COE application.  Just sent Declaration papers, medical insurance, etc. Did not ask for rental agreement, property ownership proof or bank statement in my case anyway.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Thai Embassy here accepting valid O-A / X-O, Non O Retirement holders for COE application.  Just sent Declaration papers, medical insurance, etc. Did not ask for rental agreement, property ownership proof or bank statement in my case anyway.  

Where is "here" and what visa or extension do you hold?

• Thanks 2

I have an O/A retirement visa (expires April 2021) and have all the medical certificates etc etc and now reading that non O/A retirees are able to return to Thailand , I have the following questions which I need to resolve before I even decide to go out of Thailand !!

I need to go out , return to France and get my furniture/effects out of storage and shipped to Thailand ( costing me a fortune in rental ) plus get my van out of storage there and once furniture shipped , drive through France, Spain to Portugal (Lisbon) to my boat and stay for a short period ( do some maintenance) before attempting to return to my home here in Thailand .(I no longer have a residence in the EU so am keen to get all sorted before UK leaves EU and then visas become an issue )

I have just been to Jomtien Immigration to ask about the aforementioned and if they are doing re-entry visa in order to keep my retirement extension valid .   They had no idea and said it was difficult and it was the government that need to be consulted !!!!( scratch my head !!)

Can anyone advise :

1) Is Suvarnabhumi Immigration doing re-entry visas ( normally middle departure gate before immigration) ??

2) How difficult it might be with me being a UK national living in Thailand , dealing with the Thai Embassy in Lisbon getting all the documents I need to return ???

3) I have read that one may return on a "semi commercial" flight and not necessarily on e arranged by Thai Embassy/Government ? Can anyone advise further on these type of flights and how easy to obtain ?? ie just book on the airlines website ???   

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

i wonder if thai embassy "here" has approval from thai immigration head office to accept non o retirement holders for coe? 

• Like 1

The problem for OA holders regarding re-entry being allowed or not will no doubt center around the COVID risk level in your issuing country.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Bvor said:

i wonder if thai embassy "here" has approval from thai immigration head office to accept non o retirement holders for coe? 

I am sure they would not do anything that has not been authorised.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bvor said:

LOL TIT

reading falangs stuck in australia trying to get back to thailand forum and this tv thread is puzzling to me re non o visa holders eligibility for coe

embassies send coe applications to head office for final approval/rejection

embassy "here" appears to have a different view to that of canberra embassy australia (see attached)

lack of clarity has me confused

Screenshot (135).png

On 9/29/2020 at 9:30 PM, thaitero said:

Helsinki/thai embassy do not give O-visas based on retirement.

You can have a 1 year extension based on retirement on an initial O-Visa which is exactly same as an O-A Visa except for the health insurance. 

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You can have a 1 year extension based on retirement on an initial O-Visa which is exactly same as an O-A Visa except for the health insurance. 

Indeed, and the majority of retiurees here have done exactly that. But they do nto seem to be included in the group of retirees now allowed to get a COE

In both the US and the Canberra Embassy websites, O-A and O-X visa holders are now listed as subsets if the category  "Non-Thai nationals who are permitted to enter the Kingdom under a special arrangement with a foreign country" . The Canberra listing is as follows:

"(11) Non-Thai nationals who have been granted permission to enter into the Kingdom under special arrangements between Thai government agencies and other countries, or persons or groups of persons who have been granted permission by the Prime Minister upon the submission for consideration after the examination and review by the Ad Hoc Committee for the Consideration of the Relaxation of the Enforcement of Measures to Prevent and Suppress the Spread of the Communicable Disease Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19), and shall comply with disease prevention measures determined by the Ad Hoc Committee.

These include:

11.1 Thailand Elite visa holders

11.2 Long Stay (O-A) and Long Stay 10 years (O-X) visa holders (Retirement visa holders)

11.3 APEC Card holders"

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/application-for-certificate-of-entry-coe-for-non-thai-nationals/

With application procedure detailed here

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/11-2-long-stay-o-a-and-long-stay-10-years-o-x-visa-holders-retirement-visa-holders/

US Embassy site less clearly worded but essentially the same (a change form yesterday when it said details pending)

• Like 1

how much $$$  ?   I have my condo in BKK

Upon entry into Thailand, the traveller shall strictly comply with public health measures, and will be subject to a 14-day quarantine at a Government-designated Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) facility at their own expenses.

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

reading falangs stuck in australia trying to get back to thailand forum and this tv thread is puzzling to me re non o visa holders eligibility for coe

embassies send coe applications to head office for final approval/rejection

embassy "here" appears to have a different view to that of canberra embassy australia (see attached)

lack of clarity has me confused

Screenshot (135).png

Please see my previous post. Per both the Canberra Thai Embassy website and that of several other Embassies only O-A and O-X visa holders allowed as retirees (O visa holders can enter if they are married to or parnets of a Thai).

It is not that the Re-entry permit is invalid. It is perfectly valid in general but retirement status on a non-O visa does not at this time allow you to get a COE, and a visa or re-entry permit without a COE is no use at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Maby for some countries it was possible yes but not for Helsinki Embassy. They do not give "initial O-Visa" based on retirement. Only O-A and O-X. This was the case also before covid,,

Edited by thaitero

Crazy question. It seems all I see are "extensions based on retirement with O, O-A and O-X visas". I have a retirement extension based on a Non Imm B visa. Would that be treated any differently than the O visas if trying to get back in?

Edited by kilt