Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

15 hours ago, YetAnother said:

whole thing is a tempest in a teapot; thailand is what it is, including a sea of foolish, irrational laws; they need settle this with a couple wais; damage already done to thai tourism and that hotel;

he gets jailed then even worse

How about "Sir, we don't allow outside drinks. However, since you appear to be an idiot, we are going to let it go this time. Next time, however, I am afraid we are going to have to charge corkage that will be so painful it will feel like passing a kidney stone!"  

Gawd!  To I have to think of EVERYTHING????

Edited by rexall

Sensible way forward. Get the guy to withdraw his stupid comments because he can't stump up the corkage fee - that's what will happen or he doesn't get his passport back and risks jail. He only stayed there ONE night yet was as vindictive and racist as hell.

Think about those, who are living here and are well aware of the defamation laws. They cannot write an honest review of a hotel, even when they find unsupportable sanitary shortcomings, which pose a health threat to the customers of the hotel in question. They could write to the management.  But as in my case nothing happened, though the letter was written politely and constructive, besides not accusing anybody. I decided to leave, for the aforementioned reasons. But I could not write my experiences on Trip Advisor, thus warning others, or force the management to remedy those shortcomings.  Happened to me in Hat Yai.

9 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Where I com from he would sue his employer for doing so. He hasn't been proven guilty of anything nor sentenced. Many of my colleagues got speeding fines, which is far worse than anything Mr. Barnes has done, and merrily kept their jobs.

Just shows the abysmal level at which this country resides.

At the moment I would say they are not in a position to fire him, In the UK he would have grounds for unfair dismissal, what happened to innocent until proved guilty? but you know what its' like here 

1 hour ago, TSF said:

It's a fortunate time for this hotel as there's no international tourism, so they're unlikely to see any or much impact from this whole incident.

Some stories stick. You see them whenever advice, warnings, or "strange things" about Thailand are put up on travel sites and elsewhere. How many people, for example, have not heard about the lese majeste law? And whenever it is mentioned it is often cited with the example of the Swiss man who got a 10 year sentence for his actions in 2006 or so. The Swiss was pardoned (after a few weeks) but the story continues to linger. This one will, too. It's on a different level than the murders people also mention. Most people cannot imagine themselves being murdered on vacation. And few travel sites want to put up stories about murders, as it cuts into their business.  But visitors can easily see themselves in the shoes of someone posting on TripAdvisor. And the travel guides will love mentioning it.

2 hours ago, Dart12 said:

There is an article that published what the man wrote, how the hotel replied, and how the man replied back again, in open letters.

Also has been found out that he was using multiple accounts to slander them.  

I believe you should be able to write bad reviews.  This guy wasn't writing reviews....He came off like a nasty little high school girl making stuff up.

I have a feeling he was a terrible person and has done this kind of bbullying before many times online.

He hotels replies were very cordial and appropriate.  But I think there was probably some things that could have been handled better.

Especially dragging the man off for JAIL.

Both parties were wrong.

In the end, I think both parties are getting what they deserved.  This man might finally learn a lesson.

The hotel is getting world wide disdain.

And maybe even Thailand might have to look at reforming the severity of

that law?  

Up to both sides now. 

The complaining customer could tell the whole story behind. 

And the hotel could do what many restaurants and cafés do now : put a sign near the entrance stating you'll get fined if you bring anything with you from outside the hotel. Which is actually common sense all over the world.

TripAdvisor could post such a warning, too. 

The snowflakes that manage this hotel have made a terrible decision for the business and for their careers (it's a career ending mistake).

Pressing charges leading to jail time for a 1 star review ? Good luck trying to justify that to a future employer without looking like a complete fool.

Edited by aroiaroi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, terje johnsen said:

It was a norwegian that get expelled from the us.

Then you better prove it. Otherwise, it's simply an exaggerated bit of hyperbole. Hell, man, illegal aliens can kill people while drunk or molest children and still not be thrown out fo the country. Cursing in a bank gets you deported? What are you drinking?

For what its worth, my take on this is, both sides have taken the wrong approach. No comment as to who is right or wrong, but the complainant appears to have been somewhat aggressive in his initial approach. This compounded with the postings on TripAdvisor obviously got someones back up at the hotel. Heat of the moment and all that.  Had Mr Barnes approached the manager initially in a calm and reasonable way, pointing out his grievances, he may have had his complaints settled in an amicable way???

On the other hand, it would not them have become broadcast to the world, that Thailand has some very draconian and silly laws. I don't see Thailand catching up with the 21st century in the foreseeable future.      

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr mr said:

are any of these people adults ? 

to all involved. please let go of your egos. offer the man a free stay. provide a service worth reviewing and everyone is happy. 

i am 100 % sure mr barnes is totally without any fault..... right mr barnes ? 

IF they do this then the police get nothing and they will not go for it

10 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Some tourist cries out "Look, a sexpat! That's so disgusting!!" Within minutes the whole market has heard the echos of the comment and your reputation is tarnished. Is that acceptable to you?  

There are bounds on what is reasonable as a review ...

Bull-oney!  "Acceptable" is a very subjective, slippery sort of word here.  Acceptable to whom and on what basis?  First of all, it is highly unlikely that "Look, a sexpat!" will "tarnish" one's reputation, whatever that is supposed to mean. It may be stupid and unkind and unfortunate, but should we jail and fine the tourist for for being an idiot? Watch your mouth, or the man comes and takes you away!   I'm not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure that defamation and slander--at least in the U.S.--depend on actual, provable damages, usually financial, as a result of the statements. Just being annoyed and/or embarrassed does not really constitute damage. Anyway, like it or not, there is a lot of leeway as long as the statements are clearly expressed as an opinion rather than as a fact. Obviously that doesn't apply in Thailand or in other societies still clinging to medieval "honor culture."  "You can't say about my mamma!!!!   Grrrrrr!!!  Thems fight'in words!!!"

• Like 1

It just goes as the more extreme version of experiences like the way Airbnb hosts go psycho on you if you leave anything but 5 stars. They sometimes attacked me because i, correctly, said it wasn't clean so ... can't exactly get 5 stars for that. Or that its old and decrepit ... i mean they see a bad review as an attack on their livelyhood rather than genuine feedback they need to respond to ... but of course not all. Many are just awesome and you can always change your review if you see they care. 

Police seem like a negotiation tool gone horribly wrong.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The Czech manager will be the sacrificial offering. Not the customer's fault. Not the owner's fault. It was that nasty ole Czech guy's fault.

Very likely, yes! With this the Thai owner will not lose face then, and then it is one more time a farang who tarnished the image of Thailand in the world. Makes sense.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, rexall said:

Bull-oney!  "Acceptable" is a very subjective, slippery sort of word here.  Acceptable to whom and on what basis?  First of all, it is highly unlikely that "Look, a sexpat!" will "tarnish" one's reputation, whatever that is supposed to mean. It may be stupid and unkind and unfortunate, but should we jail and fine the tourist for for being an idiot? Watch your mouth, or the man comes and takes you away!   I'm not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure that defamation and slander--at least in the U.S.--depend on actual, provable damages, usually financial, as a result of the statements. Just being annoyed and/or embarrassed does not really constitute damage. Anyway, like it or not, there is a lot of leeway as long as the statements are clearly expressed as an opinion rather than as a fact. Obviously that doesn't apply in Thailand or in other societies still clinging to medieval "honor culture."  "You can't say about my mamma!!!!   Grrrrrr!!!  Thems fight'in words!!!"

It must be fun living in a country you consider medieval. Win many friends telling them they are backward?

My analogy was just that, an attempt to make the process of events the hotel went through relatable. I don't believe that you would not react to a blatant and public slander of such a magnitude, I know I would because they are fight'in words as you put it. Defamation laws exist in many countries, not just here, "In the UK, defamation allows freedom of speech to prosper but keeps a check on telling lies that could damage someone’s reputation or business." Notice the language states 'could' not 'proven to'. I reject your position that his statements were expressed as an opinion. That is a weak excuse for unfounded and unwarranted slander. The guy clearly lashed out 'cause he was angry and he went too far. If it were not for the likely damage to Thailand's reputation, the muppet should be whipped.

Red Bar is still at the top of the listing for this hotel on Trip advisor:

Hotel seeks retraction and precondition before meeting:

Mr Pholkrit said the American would need to retract his claims. "We want the disputed party to stop the damage by deleting the old reviews and clarify that his comments were not entirely about his experience with our service," he said.

tripA.JPG

• Haha 1

Love it   great for Thailand  tourism  they get all they deserve

Laws   that are so  stupid  the world is  laughing  on one side  and  shock  on the other 

Now the  planes will  have to turn tourists away  will be so  busy...lol

Ecept  for the Chinese  they  cant read  English  or Thai  so they  have not  a clue what happened 

They  just want  the prawns  

Good  luck Thailand

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They do not seek deal to help the foreigner, they seek deal because they finally understand how they fuxxed up and how their reputation is destroyed for a long time !

Foreigner should refuse deal except if they pay him a lot of money !!!

no respect for stupid Thai business ! I am posting reviews since years and will keep posting as much as I can to destroy them !

54 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Let me put it this way, I will avoid this hotel like the plague, not due to the reviews placed by the guest but because of their complete and over the top reaction to them.

We are millions around the world in this situation ! And some people will take care that the truth comes first in google when anybody will be looking for reviews about this hotel...

Edited by ReLo