Farang kindergarten teacher suspended after alleged "for two finger neck" assault as Sarasas troubles widen

webfact

Farang kindergarten teacher suspended after alleged "for two finger neck" assault as Sarasas troubles widen

1pm.jpg

Trouble continued to plague the schools of the Sarasas group as parents demanded more transparency.

Sarasas, that has 42 branches, are facing trouble over Thais and a Filipino who allegedly assaulted children at their Ratchapreuk branch.

Now parents at other Sarasas schools are questioning their procedures demanding answers including procedures connected to the hiring of foreign staff and CCTV provision in classes. 

And a case has emerged in which a parent of a kindergarten boy is claiming that a "farang" teacher manhandled their child and bundled him out of the class. 

Yesterday school administrators at Sarasas Witaed Rom Klao in Lat Krabang faced a group of 150 parents who had four demands outlined by a parent rep.

They wanted to have CCTV provision in all classes, answers about staff hiring, how parents should interact with the school over their concerns and answers about budgets. 

At one point a K3 parent stood up and asked about the latest developments regarding an incident with their male child. 

The mother - named only as "Mild" - said that a foreign teacher had forced the boy down back into his second row seat using his thumb and forefinger then bundled him out of the classroom to stay outside. 

She alleged that her boy couldn't breathe and had suffered other symptoms after the incident on February 29th.

She said that after she complained about the manhandling of her child the school agreed to transfer the teacher to another class and replace them with a new one. She was not okay with this action. 

Foreign staff liaison person Kamonyuth Thatcharoen said that he was aware of the case and that the teacher concerned had been suspended. He asked for time to settle it.

He said that the teacher concerned would be sacked if it could be proven what he had done.

He assured parents that all teachers both Thai and foreign had been called to meetings in the wake of the turmoil at Ratchapreuk and that all staff had been told they will be sacked if there is a repeat of what has been seen there. 

While the body of the story spoke of a foreigner as having been involved in this case, the Daily News story specifically mentioned "farang" (white caucasian) as the 'ethnicity' of the person involved in their headline, notes Thaivisa. 

Sarasak employs many hundreds of foreign teachers. At Ratchapreuk alone there are currently 74, the majority Filipino.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-02

8 minutes ago, J Town said:

The term "oriental" has long ago been deemed offensive. From my understanding (Thai girlfriend from Sa Kaeo area), "farang" means anyone not connected to the Asian continent. Someone from India is not a farang, someone from the Philippines or Japan are farangs.

Someone, somewhere, is always going to find something 'offensive', even when it isn't meant to be so.

What is the current acceptable word when referring to someone from the Far East? (It's sure to change at some point).

Farang is also deemed to be 'offensive' by some caucasians (but not by me).

Also, is 'oriental' any more 'offensive' than 'westerner'? Bear in mind that racism is something that it seems only white people can be accused of.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

A Filipino (an oriental) isn't really a 'farang'!?

Nobody says oriental its offensive unless talking about a rug or vase.

A Filipino is Asian, Japanese don't think they are Asian.

Farang  is for white westerners. Russians are white but not really westerners.

Do Thais call them farang?

They call call African Americans "Booraku" never ever farang, same as for Africans. Does that make sense?

Racist naming conventions for a racist society. in Thai schools it is worse. Here  different only the parents smell money blaming foreigners. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Captain Monday said:

Nobody says oriental its offensive unless talking about a rug or vase.

A Filipino is Asian, Japanese don't think they are Asian.

Farang  is for white westerners. Russians are white but not really westerners.

Do Thais call them farang?

They call call African Americans "Booraku" never ever farang, same as for Africans. Does that make sense?

Racist naming conventions for a racist society. in Thai schools it is worse. Here  different only the parents smell money blaming foreigners. 

What I liked about living in Thailand is that you can away from all the identity politics and political correctness that we have in the West.

BTW, a black (is it ok to say black?) African name for white people is "Mazungu", it's just a name, I don't care what it means, or whether I or someone else finds it 'offensive'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, steven100 said:

some kids need a good clip under the ear to make them behave ....  imo

I remember teaching a class of 25 5-year old kids, with no teaching assistant.   I needed them to change places/seats.

Great fun, but it was like herding cats....... ????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She said that after she complained about the manhandling of her child the school agreed to transfer the teacher to another class and replace them with a new one. She was not okay with this action. 

Well could it be she possibly raised a spoiled little mouthy unruly brat? In many cases for the K 1-2-3, they are either normal little kids and act as kids should act or spoiled little *******. I can say my kids never had any problems in school. but we raised them the right way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

It would appear some parents smell money is to be made, so lets jump on the band wagon.

Jumping on the bandwagon of unfounded speculation, eh, colinneil?   The parents involved have been quoted in the Bangkok Post as saying, specifically, that they do not want money from the school. They want the situation regarding the safety of their children rectified, that's all.  Maybe you've seen a quote somewhere indicating that they do want money, where would that be?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I sense another pathetic attempt to smear the westerner, who somehow has managed to become the spreaders of Covid instead of the real culprits, the Chinese ! A very subtle piece of media spin, albeit disgusting ! I would be very surprised if a white Caucasian teacher were to behave in this fashion, refuse to believe it unless actual video shown. Abuse of children is a totally Asian domain !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Recently we bought him a phone-watch which is locked into time-only mode from 7.30 to 4pm and he now has ONE Thai sports teacher threatening to check up on him and take it away because that one teacher is offended by the possibility that it is not strictly allowed under school rules.

Why did you put him in that position by giving him the phone-watch for school if the rules don't allow them?  Perhaps a phone in a temporary locked mode can also be unlocked?

14 minutes ago, Cod Face said:

Jumping on the bandwagon of unfounded speculation, eh, colinneil?   The parents involved have been quoted in the Bangkok Post as saying, specifically, that they do not want money from the school. They want the situation regarding the safety of their children rectified, that's all.  Maybe you've seen a quote somewhere indicating that they do want money, where would that be?

Welcome, Cod Face.

I like your style of writing. Seems eerily similar to a style I've seen before. 

• Like 1