GPS​ tracking installed on my company car

Should be wired under the dash, hidden behind all of the plastic, and below your steering wheel where the fuse box is contained.  It will also have a sim card inside that they will reload as they need to keep it operational.  No way to know if it can detect audio without knowing a brand, but unless you see a camera near you license plates front and rear or in one of the upper corners of the interior pillar posts then not sure .  However, they could have placed a camera in one of the many air vents.  

Why so paranoid.  Companies mainly put GPS trackers/locaters on the cars so they can retrieve them if the employee runs off, or the car is stolen.  Also to ensure it is only used on company business unless it is considered your vehicle to drive anywhere you wish.

I forgot to add, the one I have in my vehicle here, I can disable the ignition from starting so if the car is taken, once its stops and turns off I can lock it completely out from being restarted, and then track where it is at and recover it.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much are GPS trackers? Good idea maybe for my next motorbike

Priced from low to High, some have a company that monitors it, others are monitored by a phone or computer app that the IT department can utilize, or you can buy a small one with the sim card that you need to top up.  You can check with any vehicle audio/sound garage that installs car radios and such as they carry them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Your obviously on their radar as such or they wouldn't have installed it. 

Not true, companies have been installing trackers on their fleets for years.  It is also a way for them to reduce the insurance costs, just like the discount you can get for having a car camera yourself.  Keeps the insurance premiums down and keeps what the insurance companies pay out down if the vehicle can be located.  With the economy the way it is now, there are those out there that would love to take a newer car and sell it to a tent buyer, who would then off load it out of the country.  

Edited by ThailandRyan

Beyond a visual inspection of fuse box, glove box, under-dash etc, it could be difficult to find. If the company wants it well hidden then it could be well hidden. I doubt the company would go to the extreme of covert audio/video recording, they may want to have a normal dashcam for accidents etc but that would be easy to see.

GPS etc is usually to do with fleet management, safety, maybe even insurance etc.

Unless you are driving an armoured car or transporting diamonds, I doubt the company would be monitoring what you do or say. Unless there are restrictions on when and where you can use the car, I doubt they care less where you go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

GPS tracking system was installed on my company car. 

Is there a way to detect where it's installed and know it's have audio, video recording system or not.?

Don't get paranoid but while you've been looking for it they've probably been watching you!

Edited by Cod Face
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My son bought a used car that had problems with the battery running low if it wasn't run for a few days.  He finally discovered a tracking/locating device of some sort under the dashboard.  It was broadcasting at very short intervals and sucking a lot of power.

There are special GPS tracker detectors that can confirm if one is present. There GPS that fit and power through OBD connector too.

The sim based trackers normally just report locations through an online cpanel. Audio and video would take a lot of space up. I have never seen a panel offering that for GPS but I'm sure it's out there.

Simple solution is to not discuss anything untoward whilst in the car and keep your pants on.