Foundation for disabled people laments loss of Yimsoo Cafe concession in Thammasat campus

rooster59

Foundation for disabled people laments loss of Yimsoo Cafe concession in Thammasat campus

By THE NATION

800_e728a1f83f656fa.jpg

The Yimsoo Café branch at Thammasat University will shut down in November, as the university has granted the concession to another big café brand, Wiriya Namsiripongpun, president of Universal Foundation for Persons with Disabilities, said via his Facebook page on Friday.

Yimsoo Café outlets are run by disabled staff. The first branch opened in 2016 at the foundation.

Wiriya said that the café branch at Thammasat University's Tha Phra Chan campus in Bangkok will close from November 10, since the university has granted a concession to another café brand. He said staff would have to be laid off.

160168498968.jpg

Wiriya Namsiripongpun

Wiriya said that his efforts to create a working channel for disabled people was lost to a big and wealthy brand.

He also added that Yimsoo Café must pay the rent for 30 days, despite the café being closed from November 10. And if the staff do not sell coffee in the days after November 10, Yimsoo Café will be fined at Bt500 a day.

Related story: Amazon pulls out of bid for cafe at Thammasat, as disabled staff could lose jobs

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395552

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-04

• Sad 1

I don't think it as black and white as some make it to be. It's just business first. I guess if they made a profit and paid their bills there wouldn't be a problem. Who knows what other issues there are. I would like them to stay rather than let in PTT corporation's Amazon or the other oil company competing with PTT's Inthanin Coffee. I want the little guys to have a chance but in the end it comes down to business. Thammasat isn't getting the financial support it got before now that it is supposedly private or some sort of private-government entity. If you look at the campuses around Bangkok and vicinity, you'll find that they all have or are trying to load up with renters. Thammasat Rangsit has two Starbuck's, Swenson's, Dairy Queen and a Tops plus a lot of other franchises running on campus, not to mention about 10 7Elevens. These universities aren't what they used to be. They are all looking for more money/support.

With that said, I do hope there's opportunity for those disabled people.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Bloody disgusting, clearly somebody at the university getting a backhander from the wealthy brand.

Putting making money before disabled peoples welfare.

yes indeed, my thoughts as well. I wonder what size the brown envelope was!

ᐈ Corruption cartoon stock images, Royalty Free bribe vectors | download on  Depositphotos®

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

I don't think it as black and white as some make it to be. It's just business first. I guess if they made a profit and paid their bills there wouldn't be a problem. Who knows what other issues there are. I would like them to stay rather than let in PTT corporation's Amazon or the other oil company competing with PTT's Inthanin Coffee. I want the little guys to have a chance but in the end it comes down to business. Thammasat isn't getting the financial support it got before now that it is supposedly private or some sort of private-government entity. If you look at the campuses around Bangkok and vicinity, you'll find that they all have or are trying to load up with renters. Thammasat Rangsit has two Starbuck's, Swenson's, Dairy Queen and a Tops plus a lot of other franchises running on campus, not to mention about 10 7Elevens. These universities aren't what they used to be. They are all looking for more money/support.

With that said, I do hope there's opportunity for those disabled people.

There is no opportunity for the disabled in Thailand .

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, johnnytuc said:

There is no opportunity for the disabled in Thailand .

True, but its not a schools responsibility to give them opportunity. It needs to come from the government. I am not sure if this school is private or public. 

Its all nice to think about disabled people but its NOT what a school is for they need as much income as they can get to give good education and hire good teachers. 

So i get it, this is something the government should do not a school. Maybe the government should have paid the difference between what the school makes from this cafe and what it can make from the other cafe.

If i was a consumer id go for the place with the best service and quality for money. If that were the disabled cafe then ok, but if the other one is better I go there. Might be bad of me but if I want to help the disabled i donate not go for services that are not competitive. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

True, but its not a schools responsibility to give them opportunity. It needs to come from the government. I am not sure if this school is private or public. 

Its all nice to think about disabled people but its NOT what a school is for they need as much income as they can get to give good education and hire good teachers. 

So i get it, this is something the government should do not a school. Maybe the government should have paid the difference between what the school makes from this cafe and what it can make from the other cafe.

If i was a consumer id go for the place with the best service and quality for money. If that were the disabled cafe then ok, but if the other one is better I go there. Might be bad of me but if I want to help the disabled i donate not go for services that are not competitive. 

Many disabled people do not want charity as such they want the opportunity to work. There is massive discrimination against disabled people worldwide and I believe the asian world considers disability shameful so it is even harder than in the west. This charity gives disabled people the opportunity to work in a culture where they would not normally be employed. I would suspect the charitable aspect of the organisation is to subsidise the special facilities that their workers may need. I have been involved with bidding for contracts and much of the reasons for awarding are political not commercial. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RobU said:

Many disabled people do not want charity as such they want the opportunity to work. There is massive discrimination against disabled people worldwide and I believe the asian world considers disability shameful so it is even harder than in the west. 

Very true disabled people do not want charity/ sympathy.

Here most people think disabled should be kept at home hidden away from others.

Many times people say to my wife... Why do you allow him out, he should stay home out of sight.

Myself i find that the younger generation have a much better attitude towards disabled people, than older people.

9 hours ago, RobU said:

Many disabled people do not want charity as such they want the opportunity to work. There is massive discrimination against disabled people worldwide and I believe the asian world considers disability shameful so it is even harder than in the west. This charity gives disabled people the opportunity to work in a culture where they would not normally be employed. I would suspect the charitable aspect of the organisation is to subsidise the special facilities that their workers may need. I have been involved with bidding for contracts and much of the reasons for awarding are political not commercial. 

I agree and 100% understand this, however this is something that should come from the goverment. Schools primary goal is to teach students. The more funds they have the better they can do this. 

The government should have paid the difference in money so this could go on. This not onto the school they just want the best (most money for teachers and equipment) for their students.

These projects should be subsidized by governments because most of the time they cannot compete economically. Would you let a disabled man paint your house knowing he would do a bad job ? I get the point I feel for disabled, and would give money. I however would not use them for work unless they could do the same job as anyone else. (or i get compensated one way or the other be it monetary or by feeling good by giving them a job). 

Anyway i feel more should be done for the disabled but its not the schools job.