Two students killed as giant truck slips on wet road, hitting school van from behind

snoop1130

Two students killed as giant truck slips on wet road, hitting school van from behind

By The Nation

800_1372696d2a97926.jpg

A 22-wheeler crashed into a school van in Suphanburi province on Tuesday morning killing two students and severely injuring seven.

Police were notified that around 7.30am that a school van travelling from Kanchanaburi had been hit by a 22-wheeler at the Thanon Phlapphla Chai junction.

Nine students were severely injured and sent to Uthong Hospital, but two succumbed to their injuries soon after.

Surveillance camera footage shows that all traffic lights at the junction were red and the road was wet with rain when the van arrived at the junction.

The huge truck, which was being driven in another lane, then slid across the wet road and hit the van on the side.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395710

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-06

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

stupidity kills 

People make mistakes. However, if we're traveling at speeds we can not control, that is when our mistakes can, and often do, result in the loss of life. 

Edited by djayz

2 minutes ago, djayz said:

People make mistakes. However, if we're traveling at speeds we can not control, that is when our mistakes can, and often do, result in the loss of life. 

and driving too fast in the wrong conditions is stupid. 'Speed' is from 1 kph to infinity.  You can have speed without stupidity. 

Edited by Pilotman

11 hours ago, seajae said:

When are the police actually going to clamp down on these cowboy truck drivers

and van drivers and bus drivers and car drivers, oh that's right they making a few hundred big bike riders jump through hoops to get a "special" licence, not that I disagree with this but it solves absolutely nothing, there is a bigger problem that they just totally fail to understand, people drive like lunatics because there is nothing to stop them, there are also some traffic regulations that need to be changed but the people in charge are appointed to their positions of authority not because they are qualified/educated to do the job

RIP to to the youngsters that sadly lost their lives, they were doing nothing wrong, makes me angry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

don't look like a ' huge ' truck to me. 

Poor students, really sad as they were just getting the van to school and now they are gone.

very sad indeed.  RIP .... you will be missed but never forgotten

35 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Was thinking the same.

RIP.

A 22 wheel combination like this one is one of the highest gross weight limit trucks at 50.5 Tonnes, 20 and 24 wheel combinations are the same, as is a 22 wheel artic unit. Maximum 50.5 Tonnes.

RIP Little ones.

https://transtec-group.com/การกำหนดพิกัดน้ำหนักบรรทุก/

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LennyW said:

A 22 wheel combination like this one is one of the highest gross weight limit trucks at 50.5 Tonnes, 20 and 24 wheel combinations are the same, as is a 22 wheel artic unit. Maximum 50.5 Tonnes.

RIP Little ones.

https://transtec-group.com/การกำหนดพิกัดน้ำหนักบรรทุก/

So just a normal truck then and nothing "huge"about it.

Thanks for confirming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Flashing red means you don't have right of way and should be prepared to stop. The truck never even slowed down.

Flashing yellow means proceed with caution but be prepared to stop. The minivan never even slowed down.

Looks to me like NEITHER driver had much of a clue.

None of them do

Big ploblem in Thailand nobody gives way, one of the many things I taught my wife when learning to drive and approach traffic lights with caution even if they are on green dont just look straight ahead just coz they are on green,

As usual nobody take a look if there is incomming traffic at the intersection.

Most of them think they are alone on the road and other will avoid coalition.

Both enter the intersection at high speed only to sad drivers dont feel responseble for

taking kids/passengers save to the destination.

Reduse speed in bad weather conditions or bad roads or sharp curves is an inpossible task for all

they think they are good drivers 

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Flashing red means you don't have right of way and should be prepared to stop. The truck never even slowed down.

Flashing yellow means proceed with caution but be prepared to stop. The minivan never even slowed down.

Looks to me like NEITHER driver had much of a clue.

Not just me then. I thought just the same.   If I was driving the school bus and saw that truck to my left going at that speed I would have realised that if no one slows down there will be an impact , so damn obvious , well to me but I only drive a Vios not a school bus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So just a normal truck then and nothing "huge"about it.

Thanks for confirming.

As big (gross weight wise) as they get in Thailand, i guess to the reporter it was huge as he perhaps only knew in Thailand.