Why give moneey to vlofggers

biervoormij

I watch a number of youtube channels and am surprised that people seem to give money to these people.  The people make some money from youtube from me watching but why should I pay so they can party on my money. There are people that seem to live wonderful lives on money from gifts from youtube viewers. I just don't understand why you would pay for someones parties in Thailand rather than save the money for your own party or give it someone in need in your own community?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Some of these youtubers become celebrities, at least for their viewers. They build some kind of image, hanging around in bars with the ladies doing live chats. The viewers, watching from their home country and feeling bored are trying to imagine being there. Just like their hero. They want to be part of it too, and making a donation maybe helps a bit to feel so.

That is my explanation. I once saw a youtuber in a Pattaya bar doing a live chat. He was drinking beer surrounded by some bargirls, and made a couple of hundred USD in 1 evening.

1 hour ago, biervoormij said:

I just don't understand why you would pay for someones parties in Thailand rather than save the money for your own party

For the same reason that you pay for any content, whether for education or entertainment.

Your biggest investment in any content you choose to consume is your time. A good content provider can save you time and money by summing up information you might find useful. Presumably, if you are interested enough to watch a YouTube channel about partying in Thailand, that is something you plan to do at some point in the future.

There is a long tradition of Thailand newbies getting useful advice from more experienced guys, often helping them to avoid expense, heartbreak, and even danger, along with a few good stories and laughs. In return, you might buy that guy a beer or two.

Making interesting videos is hard work and takes skill. No one can force anyone to donate, and the vast majority of viewers never even consider it, but if you consistently get value from a particular vlogger, and would like to encourage them to stick at it, it might not be a bad idea to buy them a beer.

• Thanks 1

A lot of the smaller volume channels have been hit by newer policies at youtube that in effect greatly reduce their pay. Youtube can also be a real PITA and demonitize specific videos for very trivial reasons. So some of these people are putting in really long hours and youtube gets them maybe 50 to 100 dollars a month if they're lucky. That doesn't even cover their equipment and production costs in many cases. So I think in such cases that if you receive content that you find valuable, not otherwise available, and also that you would be sad if they closed the channel without some audience support, then those are good reasons. I'm not big on paying for things that you can get for free but yes giving to a certain channel made sense to me. 

No I would never give to any channel that was obviously rolling in dough from youtube alone.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

If people wish to give money to these people producing content that presumably the viewers enjoy, then why not? All power to the vloggers creating the content and the people who willingly pay them. I really don't see what the big deal is. You like something and you choose to reward the creator with a small donation = a win : win for all involved.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mstevens said:

If people wish to give money to these people producing content that presumably the viewers enjoy, then why not? All power to the vloggers creating the content and the people who willingly pay them. I really don't see what the big deal is. You like something and you choose to reward the creator with a small donation = a win : win for all involved.

Yes, exactly.

But I do question some of these online activities that to me are clearly shameless exploitation of people. 

Not exactly vloggers but I saw a documentary about a huge industry in China of glamorous young woman sometimes making massive fortunes basically teasing many of the lonely single men in China with scheduled online shows. Basically with almost no chance of ever meeting their idol, much less be in a relationship. So the men to get any personal online attention were persuaded to frequently give large cash gifts, giving them an illusion of a relationship that doesn't exist. No, not talking about sex for sale. That's an HONEST business. 

Perhaps some of the vloggers creating their "community" are doing a similar thing in a less blatantly exploitive way?

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Seen one fat mess kick a Thai girl off a chair the other night, and lads who have never met this clown are sending him serious money every night, 

barlines? constantly pi55ed? 

you pay money for cable/satellite television.

you pay money to stream a movie.

you pay money to watch strippers dance.

you pay money for a theater ticket.

you pay money to watch a sportsball game.

if the youtuber is producing content you enjoy........

• Like 1

I don't get it either.....Because we RV the US there's a few RV "nomads" that I have followed....

All but 1 have gone to ground buying homes, founding tiny home communities, or building big homes getting their lifestyles financed for their cutie pie ways, sometimes bikini clad, travel, pets included, video snippets.....Obviously doing ok while contibuting - not much....Subtly, and not so subtly rubbing everyone's nose in it while showing off the toys, properties, houses, builds, and exotic lifestyles...

The " music reaction" videos  boggle & most don't have a clue....

The only thing I can liken it to was my Mom....Later in life she got hooked on the QVC buying network, buying stuff she didn't need, basically because she was lonely and liked/got attached to the sellers and their cutsie banter.....

There must be a lot of lonely people out there vicariously "adopting" these people as "family/friends".....

So hit that Like button and Subscribe, so you can see - and join in our lastest adventure.....

Become a Patreon/Sponsor and get exclusive video content .....We love all you - $000, $0 much.....Leave a comment - we love to hear from all of you....

On 10/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, biervoormij said:

I watch a number of youtube channels and am surprised that people seem to give money to these people.

You do realize that your "view" results in a payment to the vlogger?

It does seem like a lot of vloggers are parked in Thailand, and producing a lot of content. Occasionaly I stumble across a nugget like the Wan Awk Phansa Lotus Throwing celebration in Samut Prakan. It looked like Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai, which I've been to many times for festivals, but never knew about this celebration.