Surgery without insurance

Melodia

Hi everyone, I need to go through an ovarian cyst removal surgery in bangkok, my insurance doesn’t cover pre existing conditions and because of the pandemic I can’t go back home to do the surgery. Does anyone know how much it costs n is it safe to do the surgery in a public hospital here?! I appreciate any other tips or suggestions…

Hospitals are really good here! Many people come here to get treatment coz more sheap than in they own coundry. Don't have any idea woman's thing's , you need only ask the prize. And how they haddle that one. Better to ask private and public then you can deside.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Quality will be fine if done at a tertiary level hospital, I suggest either Siriraj or Chulalongkorn.

Cost for the surgery alone will depend on whether done open or laparoscopically. Open procedure maybe 30-40,000 baht. Laparoscopic 15-20k more but well worth it if you are a candidate (smaller incision, quicker recovery). If you opt for a private room (much advised but should have someone who can stay with you) that will add about 2000k a night.

if you do it at the above hospitals  it will cost you an arm an a leg if you use the international clinics: the trick is to avoid international clinics as the cost is more than double or even 4 times the cost of regular Thai. If you go to the hospital i suggested, for example,  you will get the same doctors at a more palatable  price. i dare say there is a local hospital just around Chula that will get their top docs for much cheaper. The top docs at siriraj are available on average 1 day a month, i know this for a fact,  in the government section and then they are choosy who they will work on so you have to find out where else they work locally and pay a little more. 

For those who not in the know  Siriraj and Chulalongkorn are the top teaching hospitals in Bangkok. The late King attended Siriraj where as his wife Queen Sikrit attends Chulalongkorn.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm assuming this isn't a ruptured cyst.

My wife who did have a ruptured cyst spent a week in Khon Kaen Ram after the surgery and it cost ~$1500 

Oh no! I’m keeping my cysts safe and sound, so safe that they decided to form a family there… ????????????

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:17 PM, Matzzon said:

Minimum price in government hospitals is about 1500 usd, and in better hospitals as well as clinics it can reach 5000 usd.

How can you quote those figures without examining the patient?

1 hour ago, fangless said:

How can you quote those figures without examining the patient?

It´s the lowest and the maximum that you can find online.

Why in the world would you questioning that? As you can see Melodia, that owns the thread already happy with that. Why do you have problem? Are you ill in the same disease?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Chulalongkorn hospital is excellent. All doctors that work in private hospitals also work in a government hospital in order to update their skills. Also since it is a teaching hospital you also get the attention of Thai medical students, many of whom will soon qualify. So you can have the opinion of as many as 20 doctors. They are not like the western medical students who just gorp at you and pass snide comments among themselves.

17 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

Chulalongkorn hospital is excellent. All doctors that work in private hospitals also work in a government hospital in order to update their skills. Also since it is a teaching hospital you also get the attention of Thai medical students, many of whom will soon qualify. So you can have the opinion of as many as 20 doctors. They are not like the western medical students who just gorp at you and pass snide comments among themselves.

Most private hospital doctors update their training overseas - just as government hospital doctors do.

A teaching hospital means you are under direct care of students most of the time - hopefully being reviewed but in most cases no choice of doctor/team unless done as special queue system at selected facilities.  As with any facility it is the doctors experience that counts most - but a bit of comfort can make a difference.

Try a government hospital that has a good reputation. Also, if you have a question about costs, offer the hospital a deposit based on the customary cost of the surgery and hospital stay. I had a hernia operation up here in the northeast and the government hospital estimated my cost of surgery and asked me to pay a deposit prior to surgery. When I was discharged, I actually got some of my depost refunded. 

Do you really need a private room? I stayed in the open ward. At first I was annoyed because the other patients around me had visitors talking and sitting very close to my bed. However, I found that the laughing and activity gave me something to look at and I even had some of the other patients' visitors fluff my pillow and straighten the blanket for me. I am not a young muscle bound man with wavy blonde hair. I am an old guy and I ended up having a good experience in the open ward. 

Also the staff was very friendly and and they really tried to make me feel at ease as I went into surgery. 

• Like 2

Melodia, it seems to me that you are looking for a well-considered trade-off between cost and your personal safety and well-being.

Choose wisely.  Money can always be replaced; your life, not so much.

And good luck with your decision, and the outcome.

Have you considered starting up a "Gofundme" page, to help with expenses?

Take care

Edited by allanos
typo

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I have a company and all my staff are insured through the "pakan sakom" insurance from the government. Weird a school does not do this.

pakan sakom = Social Security

Companies are required by law to do this. Private schools are, unfortunately, exempt.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

pakan sakom = Social Security

Companies are required by law to do this. Private schools are, unfortunately, exempt.

But even then, before it was mandatory I did it already. Now the rules changed again, new owners and family members (on the company registration) can not use that social security system. I was lucky. Teachers have a work permit so maybe she should ask her employer to do it for her. Even if she pays all instead of 50/ 50 it is still cheap. I pay all, my staff does not have to pay half of it.

My many experiences at thai hospitals has taught me to fly home to get trestment. 

It's a mixed bag in thailand and at best it will be good. I've had too many times where it wasn't. In both private and public hospitals including Bangkok Pattaya; bumrungrad, queen sirikit, etc.

There's no accountability for problems if they occur.

• Sad 1

On 10/8/2020 at 5:05 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Check with your insurance from within your own country as well.  They may reimburse you as mine from the US does for my preexisting conditions my Thai policy does not.

Don't you think OP would have mentioned if she had an insurance back home? She has to spend maybe ฿100,000 in total incl quarantine if she wants to come back.