Miscalculation of money seasoning.

Wonder if anyone knows what the situation is if an error was made in the time needed for the seasoning in the bank for the 400K for the marriage extension?

This is not a first extension, but an extension renewal after more than 10 years consecutive renewals. Please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I am aware, the 400k needs to be in the bank 3 months prior to application and not 2 months (also, is it calculated by date of application rather than date of future extension expiry?)

So, if I made an error and the 3 months for the bank money took me past my actual expiry date of my current extension, what options are there in trying to keep my current visa?

Could I overstay by maybe 12 days, pay the fine then try and renew?

Can I apply for 60 day extension to give me time to meet the 3 month seasoning?

Or....would I need to exit the country and have to apply for a new visa?

Any ideas would be a help thanks.

Edited by Formaleins
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's 2 months.

Which imm office do you deal with.

Thanks, it is Chiang Mai. I am reading that the 2 months is ONLY for the first extension, then it has to be 3 months from then on....really confusing!

Edited by Formaleins

7 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

(also, is it calculated by date of application rather than date of future extension expiry?)

As pointed out in above post it's 2 months prior to application. Then leave it in bank for under consideration period ~ 3 weeks.

• Like 2

Just now, Formaleins said:

Thanks, it is Chiang Mai. I am reading that the 2 months is ONLY for the first extension, then it has to be 3 months from then on....really confusing!

It's 2 months. 

Would not hurt to ask your imm office.

I'm only familiar with money in bank for retirement. There are still couple rogue stupid imm office that still require 3 months. Typical Thai rubbish.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Since you are talking a Bt400K amount I'm assuming your are applying for a marriage extension of stay.  At least Bt400K needs to be in the bank 2 (two) months before the "application date" and during the under consideration period.

Yes, it is thanks, marriage with Thai son. Two months is what I always thought but recently read there was a change (2019) where only the initial extension was 2 months then after that it is 3 months. But even so, if I miscalculate, what are the options? Can you get a 60 day and preserve the original Visa or even pay a few days overstay or is the original Visa voided and it is a new one from the home country?

Just now, Formaleins said:

Yes, it is thanks, marriage with Thai son. Two months is what I always thought but recently read there was a change (2019) where only the initial extension was 2 months then after that it is 3 months. But even so, if I miscalculate, what are the options? Can you get a 60 day and preserve the original Visa or even pay a few days overstay or is the original Visa voided and it is a new one from the home country?

You mixing up retirement with marriage.

Retirement is 2 before and 3 after and more.

Marriage is 2 month prior to application then also keep in bank for under consideration. Then you can withdraw the lot

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

It has been 2 months for many years.

From police clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 (2014). It was the same in the previous police order issued in 2008.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

The 2 months for the first extension and 3 months after that was for extensions based upon retirement and that was changed to 2 months for every extension last year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

You are probably thinking a retirement extension where the Bt800K is required 2 months before and after the application date and then at least Bt400K for the remaining 7 months.

If you are applying based on a Thai child then the money only needs to be in the acct on the day you apply.  See this recent thread for more info.

Thanks for that one. that is very interesting! I am currently on a marriage extension and have been for years, but if switching to a Thai child is very tempting as long as they accept a change in the reason for extension.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been 2 months for many years.

From police clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 (2014). It was the same in the previous police order issued in 2008.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

The 2 months for the first extension and 3 months after that was for extensions based upon retirement and that was changed to 2 months for every extension last year.

Cheers Joe, but if even the 2 moths were screwed up, is it still possible to get maybe a 60 day or pay for overstay to meet the 2 months without losing the current extension?

56 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Cheers Joe, but if even the 2 moths were screwed up, is it still possible to get maybe a 60 day or pay for overstay to meet the 2 months without losing the current extension?

You should check with your local offices about only needing the 400k baht in the bank on the date of application due to being the parent of a Thai. Many offices will allow that even in a case where you applied based upon marriage since you have a child together.

If not you could apply for a 60 day extension to get more time and then apply during the last 30 days of the 60 days.

3 hours ago, Formaleins said:

There were no change 2019 regarding seasoning money for the 1 year extension based on marriage. 

10 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Old (superceded) information relating to retirement extensions.

I might have a problem. I transferred 400,000 to my Thai account from the UK the day after I received my 60-day extension, which was issued on 23rd September and expires on 25th November.

As the money has to be seasoned in the account for two months (no Thai child, only wife), does that mean I can't apply for the one year extension until my 60-day extension is up? If so, what is my status during the period between application and approval, which I understand can take a month? I had intended to apply a month before my 60-day expires. Would that not be permitted?

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I might have a problem. I transferred 400,000 to my Thai account from the UK the day after I received my 60-day extension, which was issued on 23rd September and expires on 25th November.

As the money has to be seasoned in the account for two months (no Thai child, only wife), does that mean I can't apply for the one year extension until my 60-day extension is up? If so, what is my status during the period between application and approval, which I understand can take a month? I had intended to apply a month before my 60-day expires. Would that not be permitted?

The money must be in your account for two months on the date you apply for the one-year extension. You are not considered to be on overstay during the under consideration period. In the unlikely the event that your application for the extension was denied at the end of the under consideration period, you would be given seven days to leave the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The money must be in your account for two months on the date you apply for the one-year extension. You are not considered to be on overstay during the under consideration period. In the unlikely the event that your application for the extension was denied at the end of the under consideration period, you would be given seven days to leave the country.

Thanks. I'll pop into my rather sleepy Immigration office (Kalasin) sometime this month to check the exact date I can apply and confirm the documents and photos they need. My next worry will be whether my local Bangkok Bank will insist I go to the branch I have my account - in Bangkok - for the letter that immigration require.

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My next worry will be whether my local Bangkok Bank will insist I go to the branch I have my account - in Bangkok - for the letter that immigration require.

The letter can be issued at any branch.

I have gotten 2 letters from Bangkok Bank here and my account is not in the same province. If one person says no ask for the manager or a supervisor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My next worry will be whether my local Bangkok Bank will insist I go to the branch I have my account - in Bangkok - for the letter that immigration require.

I wouldn't worry about that possibility....any Bangkok Bank branch can issue that letter regardless of where your home branch is.  It's a very simple letter that just confirms you really have a Bangkok Bank acct and the balance in the acct....should only take them about 15 minutes to complete/issue.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1