American expat avoids jail for negative review - reaches settlement with Koh Chang hotel

webfact

44 minutes ago, warcy said:

The problem is not about writing a single bad review, the problem is reporting fake comments on multiple websites and same website over many weeks just to defame that hotel.

If the comment is genuine, it's acceptable but not when it's full of malice and half-truth.

exactly,  If you are going to defame someone then make sure it's true.

Also,  if he just posted it on one or two sites it may not have escalated, however he was trying to be a smart_ss and posted it on many sites. 

He's been caught out and now he has egg on his face.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But he didn't simply compose a "bad review" did he? He posted lies, deceit and personal opinions jaded by Lord knows what.

Even after Tripadvisor deleted his original post, he did it again.

Several times.

I think you will find Tripadvisor blocked anyone from leaving a review I remember when I looked it had some kind of notice at the top of the page words to the effect, I looked through 17 pages of reviews and could not find any from the yank,

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He did not write A bad review. He wrote four or more. There are several bad reviews about the hotel. One claiming bed bugs etc. None have been removed. None have been accused of deformation. 

The guy obviously has anger management issues as indicated by his history in USA.

He was lucky. 

I also saw some really bad reviews maybe them guest had gone from Thailand and it's not easy to get reviews removed, I also looked on Booking.com few nasty ones on there

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

exactly,  If you are going to defame someone then make sure it's true.

Also,  if he just posted it on one or two sites it may not have escalated, however he was trying to be a smart_ss and posted it on many sites. 

He's been caught out and now he has egg on his face.

So, Steven, can we infer you agree the army should face defamation charges for their 900+ fake twitter accounts that have been removed? You know - the ones promoting Thing one and Thing Two and defaming the opposition? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

The guy refuses to pay the standard corkage charge.

The guy then writes defamatory posts which were supposedly lies on not one or two sites but many.

what do you think .....  If I was the hotel owner I'd sue him too

That's the owner's prerogative. He can sue 'til the cows come home. After all, this should be a civil case and not a criminal one.

As for my question about suing the Thai Army for their fake twitter accounts spreading lies, you agree, right? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

That's the owner's prerogative. He can sue 'til the cows come home. After all, this should be a civil case and not a criminal one.

As for my question about suing the Thai Army for their fake twitter accounts spreading lies, you agree, right? 

I just don't get your thinking on a lack of common sense and practicality sometimes.  

The guy did wrong but you try to turn it around. 

Try doing what he did in Australia and see if you get off with an apology.  Try posting in any country with lies on many websites and see what happens, i'm sure you be sued in most of them and especially in the US.   LOL

As for your other question on army tweets, I don't follow twitter or army tweets so I cannot comment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

All the nights what i have stayed in hotel, i have only one time write review and yes was bad! Hotel was Crown Regency Cebu City Philippines. (dont ever go there if you are in Cebu).

This what happen: We (my ex and i ) had first room in 15 floor, then they start paint something in corridor and smell was really bad, i ask chance room. Ok they chance us in 22 floor. In 22 floor going main elevator  was broken. So to get room need take 2 different elevator, first going 16 floor and chance there to get 22 floor! Internet not working in 22 floor, what i was paid (need that time to do job)! Nothing happen when i ask about it! From where we was (floor 22) i need to go front of hotel to smoke. Once i was smoke and same time 2 full bus of chinese coming in hotel, take me over houer back in room whit 2 elevator full of chinese! I had also issue to take taxi, coz chinese! I solve that problem (give head of security 500 peso's) after that he push chinese away when saw me, and ask taxi Sir! That was main sht what i remember lol. After week i chance hotel whitout refund! Had booked for 3 weeks! F them and they sht! 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, steven100 said:

exactly as I said before .....  The guy was probably half cut when he got there and refused to pay the corkage, then defamed the hotel by lying to the media. 

Please Please tell me which LIE?
No one seems to be able to answer this very simple question.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Had he not posted false claims online to defame the hotel, he wouldn’t have ended up in jail with a defamation case and media outlets wouldn’t have reported about it. 

Which false claims exactly? That the manager was a Czech?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I just don't get your thinking on a lack of common sense and practicality sometimes.  

The guy did wrong but you try to turn it around. 

Try doing what he did in Australia and see if you get off with an apology.  Try posting in any country with lies on many websites and see what happens, i'm sure you be sued in most of them and especially in the US.   LOL

As for your other question on army tweets, I don't follow twitter or army tweets so I cannot comment.

So he'd have gone to jail in Australia over this? Amazing. 

Let me make the latter question more simple; If someone is proved to have created hundreds of fake accounts to promote one thing and criticize another, should they also be sued and sent to jail? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Please Please tell me which LIE?
No one seems to be able to answer this very simple question.

Don't understand also how opinion can be lie! I don't think nobody think review's are fact?

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, again and again we see the Thai tourism minister(s) with their finger in the pie, IMHO the minister should have jumped in and behind the scenes generated a quick settlement/ closure on this matter, so that it didn't become a big and globally known incident, he didn't. Publicity like this doesn't help Thai tourism. 

Yes and that's good ! Because Thai tourism needs taught some hard lessons 

15 hours ago, Seismic said:

You can bring in your own drink, but like establishments all over the world they charge a corkage fee. This is a common and well accepted practice.

Not in any of the scores of Thai hotels I have stayed in.  Not once been asked for corkage in 40 years.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So he'd have gone to jail in Australia over this? Amazing. 

Let me make the latter question more simple; If someone is proved to have created hundreds of fake accounts to promote one thing and criticize another, should they also be sued and sent to jail? 

Well I would expect in Australia you would have to front court that's for sure, then the court would determine if you should be punished by way of jail time or not, but it doesn't happen overnight.

As for the latter question ....  If the criticism is true and correct then there has been no attempt or implied defamatory against the other party and as such would be deemed non-liable.   imo

But i'm not a lawyer ..   lol

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well I would expect in Australia you would have to front court that's for sure, then the court would determine if you should be punished by way of jail time or not, but it doesn't happen overnight.

As for the latter question ....  If the criticism is true and correct then there has been no attempt or implied defamatory against the other party and as such would be deemed non-liable.   imo

But i'm not a lawyer ..   lol

No, this simply wouldn't happen in Australia. 

So.........what if these accounts were paid for by the tax payer? What if they were pretending to be normal members of the public but were really just soldiers promoting the government and criticizing the opposition? Would you be okay with this kind of use of tax payer's funds? 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1