Yet another car battery for my Honda Civic Rs

kwak250

On 10/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, kwak250 said:

I will check on my new battery today but i checked the volts before it was fine mind you it should be as from new it has done this the Honda dealership said all models with all the electronic devices will do this.

i drive about 50-60k a day and lots of trips maybe 4-500 k in one day

My old Toyota Vigo lasted 6-7 years on one battery but then it only had a Cd player ,

Check the battery is secure.....a battery floating around will suffer from every bump in the road.

Also check terminals to see if they are secure and in good condition.

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You'r talking about a motorbike battery ,this is about a car battery . Or did you just want people to know you have a Africa Twin . 

I was talking about heat in general in Thailand not being good for batteries. I explicitly mentioned the Civic RS turbo generating quite a bit of it. Motorcycle or car doesn't matter the batteries are very similar. I could have talked about my car or the UPSs or.... but I mentioned the bike as it has also Yuasa branded ones which are not too different from the one in the Civic and I'm chewing through these at a pace that's not great. Why would I care to make people know what vehicle I have? It was mentioned so people know what exactly I am talking about. Did you choose your username so people know where you hang around? ????

Edited by eisfeld
  • Haha 1

A battery should last at least 2 years here.  My Nissan March 1st battery lasted 3 years and current one has lasted 5 years. Also have a Toyota pickup in the family and that has only had battery replaced twice in the last 10 years, that i know of.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, kwak250 said:

2 years would be amazing mind you I never open the bonnet . Thing is I never did with the vigo and that must have lasted 6-7 times longer .

Good thing they are cheap to replace.

2 Years? I happened to have a look at my battery of this morning, mounted in a diesel/Fortuner.He has been in it for more than 3 years.

accu.jpg

7 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

2 Years? I happened to have a look at my battery of this morning, mounted in a diesel/Fortuner.He has been in it for more than 3 years.

accu.jpg

Depends on a few factors, but at 3 years in a D4D ride is pretty good but maybe turning the corner...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Depends on a few factors, but at 3 years in a D4D ride is pretty good but maybe turning the corner...

You know, my only problem is now with dead chinck chock, tsjing tsjok?? who now's the real name, stinking somewhere in my car, and when I open this morning the back side, again escape to inside.

Terrible.

Just had battery replaced under warranty on 8 month old Mazda 3 with 7,000km. it was dead after being left for 3 days despite being charged multiple times.

They had it in twice for 2 software updates, which did nothing!

I am charging the new Battery once a week from now.

Read somewhere that new Mazda's are known for it

Try this little gizmo out. I use one at present and it's been very useful. I know it won't help with the life of your battery but it does however give you some pretty good live data straight to your phone without needing to constantly check with a meter. Cranking voltage , battery state charging voltage at idle and high rpm. It also allows you to set an alarm when the battery gets below a certain level so you can start it before it goes flat, evenif it's just to get to a garage. 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.XbJB0

• Like 2

Its either don't buy a Honda RS, but I don't think it is the battery there something not right with your Honda, if you can convey the problem to the Thai representative with the computer on board should be able to give a read out the question is whether you can get across to them what is the problem.

My wife Yaris 2006, only service at Toyota dealer at one time my ABS sensor came on and off I knew it was the senor since the brakes worked normal I try to explain to the service rep he just looked confused ( language problem ) a hour later they came to me with the read out showing a problem with the senor. In 13 years I've had 3 batteries something not right with your Honda?

Definitely something wrong, either in vehicle design or function. My elderly Vios is on its second battery in six years, and that's only because I stupidly left the headlights on after a rain squall some three years ago.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:46 AM, kwak250 said:

The battery indicator shows as Green which is ok

(Red to replace-White to charge)

The CTEK is probably a very good suggestion. 

Just going to see if the local shop says to charge it .

Just checked and its 10.7 volts

Might just be easier changing it and getting a CTEK .just seen they are £67 on ebay uk.

Probably much more here?

I have  two   dead  batteries that have sat  for  near a year and both still have  green indicators proudly denying fact !

Both died in function in two different vehicles at around 2 years. One in a Toyota I am willing to accept was most likely due to a  failing alternator which I replaced.

Otherwise  heat  and  constant major discharge are  killers  for standard  lead acid  batteries.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:52 AM, kwak250 said:

I will check on my new battery today but i checked the volts before it was fine mind you it should be as from new it has done this the Honda dealership said all models with all the electronic devices will do this.

i drive about 50-60k a day and lots of trips maybe 4-500 k in one day

My old Toyota Vigo lasted 6-7 years on one battery but then it only had a Cd player ,

Should be enough to recharge the battery, many things run off the battery these days, best to check the battery with a load applied, then the alternator.

21 hours ago, rickudon said:

A battery should last at least 2 years here.  My Nissan March 1st battery lasted 3 years and current one has lasted 5 years. Also have a Toyota pickup in the family and that has only had battery replaced twice in the last 10 years, that i know of.

Yes a Nissan march lasts ages my nephew had one bought it second hand had it for 5 years and still not changed the battery.

Different car though. Think he has a interior light that's about it .

4 hours ago, transam said:

Just a thought, B-Quik has a handy hand held gadget that tests the battery/alternator in the car that gives a paper read out of many electrical function readings, I was quite impressed.....

Got it checked at the garage they say the newer cars with all the electronic equipment are lucky to last 2 years even with a Ctek connected and reckons lifting the bonnet up is a waste of time but I have just had a battery fitted yesterday and just lifted the bonnet...mmm will see how long this lasts.

19 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Its either don't buy a Honda RS, but I don't think it is the battery there something not right with your Honda, if you can convey the problem to the Thai representative with the computer on board should be able to give a read out the question is whether you can get across to them what is the problem.

My wife Yaris 2006, only service at Toyota dealer at one time my ABS sensor came on and off I knew it was the senor since the brakes worked normal I try to explain to the service rep he just looked confused ( language problem ) a hour later they came to me with the read out showing a problem with the senor. In 13 years I've had 3 batteries something not right with your Honda?

It's like comparing apples to oranges a 13 year old Toyota Yaris is a bit like my old vigo it has a steering wheel and a handbrake.

Batterys do last forever in old vehicles. 

Checked on various forums and honda groups and even Honda are saying 18 months is about as good as you can expect without using a Ctek.

16 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Got it checked at the garage they say the newer cars with all the electronic equipment are lucky to last 2 years even with a Ctek connected and reckons lifting the bonnet up is a waste of time but I have just had a battery fitted yesterday and just lifted the bonnet...mmm will see how long this lasts.

Not sure if anyone's brought it up, but have you checked the starter/solenoid?  I've mistakenly thought that I had a battery or alternator problem in the past, but turned out it was the starter.  This is only if your car's got a lot of years, like 10+.

2 things, firstly I had similar problems with my Mazda BT50, a mate finally found the issue, an after market carryboy on the back with an electric opener installed by Hongkee on the bypass road Phuket. It was direct wired to the battery and was constantly draining the battery even when the ignition was off. So check any third party installations and don't go near Hongkee, very expensive and not very professional as I learnt to my cost, 4 batteries in 5 years. My current battery is over 2 years and going strong.

My Honda Jazz got about 2 years before Honda service started telling me it was bad,  but I kept it going by using a Ctek battery to rejuvenate it, worked well for 6 moths until the son left the interior light on and flattened it over night, then I decided to buy a new one.

Also, don't buy from the dealer much cheaper options at smaller battery stores I found. 

Finally my Honda has a push button starter and the battery in the keyfob died after about 18 months, yet the Mazda has not been changed in 5 years, I guess these new keyless options use a lot of power with the wireless connection.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

It's like comparing apples to oranges a 13 year old Toyota Yaris is a bit like my old vigo it has a steering wheel and a handbrake.

Batterys do last forever in old vehicles. 

Checked on various forums and honda groups and even Honda are saying 18 months is about as good as you can expect without using a Ctek.

Then I must be really lucky,  My Yaris is old with only 114,000 KM, as you can see my wife doesn't drive it much just to the market majority of the time the car just sits but it does get started nearly every day. The current battery is now 2 and half year old based and going strong? no drag whatsoever.

My brother has a 2006 Jazz never has he complaint about his battery life I would know as soon as something happens I get the call for help. Last time he called and needed a jump was close to 3 years. Batteries are cheap but 18 months glad I don't own one or ever plan to buy one!

24 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Then I must be really lucky,  My Yaris is old with only 114,000 KM, as you can see my wife doesn't drive it much just to the market majority of the time the car just sits but it does get started nearly every day. The current battery is now 2 and half year old based and going strong? no drag whatsoever.

My brother has a 2006 Jazz never has he complaint about his battery life I would know as soon as something happens I get the call for help. Last time he called and needed a jump was close to 3 years. Batteries are cheap but 18 months glad I don't own one or ever plan to buy 

Think your missing the point slightly but I am so pleased you are happy with your Yaris.

100 baht a month for a battery isn't going to hurt too much though but thanks for your Input.

16 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Think your missing the point slightly but I am so pleased you are happy with your Yaris.

100 baht a month for a battery isn't going to hurt too much though but thanks for your Input.

I'm not trying to prolong the conversation but really I think if anyone is missing the point it might be you?

This isn't really about " apple or oranges "  it is really simple regardless of the cost and I too agree to get a vehicle to start up for 2-3,000 baht is really a blessing so as soon as I put the key in and it drags I go out and just get it replaced. I got a set of jumper cables with the Yaris but I've never had to pull it out to use it for the Yaris.

Regardless of what Honda or it's owners are projecting when it comes to batteries and I've been driving since 1966, owned a lot of vehicles and makes and never have I ever had a battery that only lasted 18 months unless there was a problem with the vehicle or me leaving lights on etc..  In the States when there were Grand Autos I would buy cheap batteries and they would last easily for two years.

My 2018 Toyota Revo has only 8000 KM, sit day in day out never driven because I like using my motobikes going past two years yet when the key is placed inside it starts so I do appreciate your input also but 18 month 100 baht a day as cheap as they are it is the 21st century I expect much more from a battery than 18 months. Something is wrong with that Honda?

15 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I'm not trying to prolong the conversation but really I think if anyone is missing the point it might be you?

This isn't really about " apple or oranges "  it is really simple regardless of the cost and I too agree to get a vehicle to start up for 2-3,000 baht is really a blessing so as soon as I put the key in and it drags I go out and just get it replaced. I got a set of jumper cables with the Yaris but I've never had to pull it out to use it for the Yaris.

Regardless of what Honda or it's owners are projecting when it comes to batteries and I've been driving since 1966, owned a lot of vehicles and makes and never have I ever had a battery that only lasted 18 months unless there was a problem with the vehicle or me leaving lights on etc..  In the States when there were Grand Autos I would buy cheap batteries and they would last easily for two years.

My 2018 Toyota Revo has only 8000 KM, sit day in day out never driven because I like using my motobikes going past two years yet when the key is placed inside it starts so I do appreciate your input also but 18 month 100 baht a day as cheap as they are it is the 21st century I expect much more from a battery than 18 months. Something is wrong with that 

Sorry fell asleep after Prolong.

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

Sorry fell asleep after Prolong.

Not surprise that explains everything with your response!  This is common with someone like yourself instead of admission it is deflection and when that happens best to sit back and relax and remember " silence is golden " better to sit if you don't have the fortitude. ????

7 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Heat is a killer as said many times in this topic. Keeping a battery fully charged prolong it's life. Guess the garage is a battery seller.