guarantees what a load of b.s

opalred

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not required.

The device has a serial number, the manufacturer records the date of production.

OK, you might miss out on the time the device sat on the shelf.

This being Thailand and all, I am old school. I get the white goods store salesman or the installer to dig out the warranty card, date, sign and stamp it and then give it to me so I can send it in.

If all that fails, then and ONLY then would I consider posting a whining, 'they don't like us', 'woe is me' type post on a public forum.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:
21 hours ago, Grapefruit said:

Have you read the guarantee that you were given when you bought the unit to confirm that it doesn't include the "main board"?   If it excludes it then there's nothing wrong with the guarantee, surely?

Was the warranty ever transferred from the original purchaser,?

I would have assumed (yes silly of me), that unless the unit was moved and installed in new abode by licensed approved tradesperson, then the warranty would be void.

Any mechanical thing left sitting unused, deteriorates under varying climatic conditions, this deterioration would never be covered in a warranty

Don't ask me, ask the OP,  I'm not the one complaining about the guarantee!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, robblok said:

Thai warantees are indeed not worth the paper its written on. However I have had good responses from failed harddisks and so on being replaced by samsung or other shops like WD.

So it depends a bit what you buy, also in my country Netherlands they do work good.

Thailand... only ICT stuff from international brands seems to be good. 

many years ago I bought a brand new automobile in the US the salesman was pushing a new type of extended warranty 3 years over and above the 24 months that the car came with. $1,000 I never buy extended warranties but this particular warranty had in the contract if you didn't use the warranty at the end of the three years you would get 80% or $800 back. I went into the dealership when the warranty had expired and explain to them I had never had to use it for any repair how do I go about getting my $800 back they told me they would be in touch within 5 days I got a check in the mail for $800 particular case I think it was a good buy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/11/2020 at 3:53 PM, stouricks said:

I actually got a Lazy Boy 'leather' office chair replaced (by another brand) under warranty by Office Mate at 15 months old, but that was after contacting LB head office in USA. Crazily, they also compensated me for the bad chair = win-win! I think if you push enough with the top men, you could get somewhere. Or threaten social media exposure. 

'Or threaten social media exposure'. And risk being sued.????

• Like 2

I never heard Guarantee to cover everything!  it sounds like you just assume if you are here in Thailand but where ever you are from you would read the fine print to actually see.

Whenever I buy anything especially appliance I get my son to read the fine print and translate my question to the seller I usually get a specific answer to what is covered as Guarantee.

Recently, I bought some sd-cards, brands like Sandisk 32Gb class 10 for about 2 or 300 thb on Lazada and was surprised about the lower price, after 4-6 weeks I understand they failed.

So, okay I bought a new one on Lazada, EVO-Plus from Samsung and payed about 520 thb

I don't know when it last but it is guaranteed for 10 years! Can you imagine?

How they can guaranteed for 10 years?? you take out the card of the packing, and there is nothing anymore to proof it is the same card if you have to claim, it is the same card. Realy BS

On 10/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, Susco said:

It always helps to read a bit further than your nose is long.

It is written on the warranty card, in wording that can not be misunderstood, that the 10 year warranty is only on the compressor and that other parts are subject to other terms of warrantee.

Of course, it is easy to stop reading when you see 10 year warranty, and then display your ignorance by starting a thread complaining.

For those that think that a gecko creating a short on your PCB should be covered under warranty, please explain why the company should cover that.

Should be designed to keep gheckos out, the same thing happened to me and it cost almost 3000 baht to replace the mother board, only 2 years old.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, Kwasaki said:

Same with warranty on cars/trucks.

2 years ago had an issue with shock absorbers on our new Pajero Sports after having it 9 months. Took it to the dealers and had it repaired under warranty free of charge. They even washed and cleaned the interior also. Had problem with a big screen TV bought from the Mall in Korat. They replaced it without any issue as it was less that one year old. However bought some computer stuff from an IT shop in Khon Kaen, won’t name the shop but it’s name is like a yellow coloured fruit that monkeys like. The items failed within a week and was told no replacement or repair unless I paid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tongjaw said:

2 years ago had an issue with shock absorbers on our new Pajero Sports after having it 9 months. Took it to the dealers and had it repaired under warranty free of charge. They even washed and cleaned the interior 

Not exactly what I meant with a warranty if you do what the dealer expect you to do and comply with there service schedule.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I had a problem with my Samsung phone, I could hear people calling me but they couldn't hear what I was saying.

I took it to an authorised Samsung repair shop, they charged me 450 baht to replace the microphone and said the repair came with a 3 month guarantee. Six days after I picked my repaired phone up, the same problem happened again. I took it back to the repair centre and this time I was told that it would cost almost 3,000 to repair it. When I showed them their guarantee, they told me that it didn't apply because this was a different problem. 

On 10/11/2020 at 4:28 AM, Susco said:

For those that think that a gecko creating a short on your PCB should be covered under warranty, please explain why the company should cover that.

There's a case to be made that a properly designed unit for use in Thailand (where geckos can be anticipated) wouldn't allow the gecko to get in.

Edited by impulse

Bought a Acer Netbook at Pantip in Cm in 2008, not soon after I got the "black screen of death".

Took it back and asked for a new one..solly..mai dai..cannot....the usual run around u get in LOS

I went back daily and would just stand there with the netbook and refused to leave...I got a NEW one

If it were today Id apply the use of social media(carefully) as that bad news can travel fast for a business

..not like the guy at the Hotel that got arrested but I leave reviews online about LOS, just under an "alias"

Similar to here, I, in fact, am not a furry little dude from "Land of the Lost" nor is Chaka my real name ????

I would pay the 7,000 baht without question to have air conditioning.

You must be nuts thinking anyone would guarantee electronic parts for 10 years.

Probably a $0.05 cent fuse blown on the main board.

Learn how to fix things yourself if you cannot afford to pay to have them fixed.

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This being Thailand and all, I am old school. I get the white goods store salesman or the installer to dig out the warranty card, date, sign and stamp it and then give it to me so I can send it in.

If all that fails, then and ONLY then would I consider posting a whining, 'they don't like us', 'woe is me' type post on a public forum.

Who warranties electronic parts for 10 years?

No one. Read the small print.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 6:32 AM, opalred said:

not the full history of the air con /first 2men came around said service 2 air machines in house 

1200b left said all working ok /one still not working 10min after they left/2nd man around changed some wires 1400b said to  get company on warranty to come look at compressor that the last mob left wanting 7000b  do anyone have proper credentials to repair anything in the country /or local beer shop write them a ticket to be engineer to repair  anything / i wonder about my airplane i go on next week

Sounds like you need to be smarter than them?

Agreed-   Warranty's are useless here

Bought a new Siemens electric oven from a major distributor

Within the first month the timer/display went bad,a pretty major loss of function.

Neither the distributor nor the manufacturer would do anything to repair it.

Went all the way to the top with Siemens and they wouldn't even offer a replacement part.

NEVER   buy there products,and been sure to direct others away from there questionable business practices

Brought a TV years ago, it stopped working within the guarantee period, the shop where i brought it said "No problem sir we will send it back to the manufacturer it could take 3 months"  3months without a TV ! yer right   I took it to repair shop and paid for the repair myself. Brought a Bison lawn mower 14,000 baht from Global when i went to get a new blade "No have" nor anywhere else not even on the internet, so had to make it myself.

22 hours ago, hereforgood said:

many years ago I bought a brand new automobile in the US the salesman was pushing a new type of extended warranty 3 years over and above the 24 months that the car came with. $1,000 I never buy extended warranties but this particular warranty had in the contract if you didn't use the warranty at the end of the three years you would get 80% or $800 back. I went into the dealership when the warranty had expired and explain to them I had never had to use it for any repair how do I go about getting my $800 back they told me they would be in touch within 5 days I got a check in the mail for $800 particular case I think it was a good buy.

You think that paying $200 for absolutely nothing was a "good buy" when the manufacturers free warranty was enough? Surely it was just $200 down the drain?

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Brought a TV years ago, it stopped working within the guarantee period, the shop where i brought it said "No problem sir we will send it back to the manufacturer it could take 3 months"  3months without a TV ! yer right   I took it to repair shop and paid for the repair myself. Brought a Bison lawn mower 14,000 baht from Global when i went to get a new blade "No have" nor anywhere else not even on the internet, so had to make it myself.

If you let it repair somewhere else you normally loose the Warranty. 

On 10/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, opalred said:

take today /brought an air conditioner/a few years old and not used much/would not start /had 10yr guarantee

You bought 2nd hand and did not test it first......10 year guarantee is only for the

compressor ,it's the other electronics inside that usually fail, like you found out.

regards Worgeordie

Thais are reluctant to press for a replacement. We bought a new 2 ring gas hob about 6 months ago and after a month had a problem, some valve or other was missing. Wife asked about replacement, was told cannot, would have to send off for repair. She wanted to buy a new one and forget it .....

I said no, send it off for repair (matter of principle). Still had to buy a new one (it took 2 MONTHS to fix) but now we at least have a spare.

In the UK gas rings last nearly for ever, here we have got through at least 4 in 10 years - what utter <deleted>. Kettles - last about 2 years. We have been lucky with our major appliances - fridge freezer 10 years and still working, washing machine 8 years and still working, only one air-conditioner replaced and that was second hand and about 12 years old.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:50 PM, RJRS1301 said:

I thought the warranty was only good for original purchaser in most cases.

The board (or some such thing) went on my aircon within warranty period replaced  FOC 

Looking for a warranty , on my next Thai ex wife ..555

People that complain about warrantees are a lot like people that complain about insurance. It covers what it covers, and it doesn't cover what it doesn't cover. 

I've been here a while and most all the suppliers I have dealt with both at home and at work seem to try and satisfy me. I have has issues with equipment that I know would not be covered in the US and the vendor has sent staff 200km to make it right at no charge.

If you do not want to service your own equipment and you do find a decent tradesman to provide service for you, give them your business and don't try to hammer them down on everything they do.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." B.F.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 5:32 PM, opalred said:

not the full history of the air con /first 2men came around said service 2 air machines in house 

1200b left said all working ok /one still not working 10min after they left/2nd man around changed some wires 1400b said to  get company on warranty to come look at compressor that the last mob left wanting 7000b  do anyone have proper credentials to repair anything in the country /or local beer shop write them a ticket to be engineer to repair  anything / i wonder about my airplane i go on next week

I think you are doing something wrong when claiming your warranty repair. You can't just call any technician to fix it, you need to contact either the shop which sold it to you or the manufacturer and agree on a repair under warranty.

I just had a tech from TCL the last month to change my TV's mainboard under warranty (1.5 years into 3 years).