guarantees what a load of b.s

opalred

58 minutes ago, opalred said:

called the company that sold it /  came out /said main board in condenser gone /want 7000b to fix/ that part not under guarantee told them to go to hell but had to pay 200b call fee/ so all guarantees not worth the paper written on

Yup, I hear you, that is why I bargain hard when I buy something because if I cannot get them to sort it under warranty without trying to take an arm and a leg, then I can get someone else in and pay them from the money I saved up front.

Our air con main board went a few years in, i.e. came back from a weeks away, went to turn it on, didn't work, got the local guy out, geco got in and zapped himself to death and f'd our board up, a week later new board 2,000 baht, thanks for coming.

Don't think the air con company would have been interested in fixing it ????

Also the motor on the treadmill burned out within the 2 year warranty, just, the guy rocked up and said, must replace the motor and the board, the board is 2,500 baht, plus 600 for his labor, plus 600 postage for company to send the parts.

As mentioned the motor was under warranty, but board warranty ran out after a year, had to argue with them to only replace the motor without the board, and they said they wouldn't guaranteed the motor if we didn't replace the board, so I negotiated the board down to 1,200 baht and paid the labour and postage of 1,200 baht, but I got 2 years warranty on the new motor and a year on the board, so who got screwed, me, well I figure 1,200 baht for a year on a new board was important, especially if the motor went again which allegedly wouldn't be under warranty, not worth fighting over, and it would cost me 1,200 baht again for the labour and postage, plus.

Moral of the story, won't be buying another one of their treadmills, too easy, screw me for 1,200 baht and you lost a repeat customer, can't help dumb a$$es.

Edited by 4MyEgo

22 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I guess you have to understand that you live in another country, and not the one you grew up in. Read the terms and conditions. It will all stand there.

True. Whichever country you are born in does not matter. The warranty conditions in the country of purchase are what matters on a warranty claim

• Like 2

OP when you've been longer in thailand, or have become more aware of how things work here, then you'll know thailand has pretty ineffective sales of goods and services legislation, and even if it did have fit for purpose legislation there is the issue if being able to enforce such legislation in a fundamentally corrupt culture. caveat emptor.

in my home country warranties and guarantees work well.

• Like 2

I actually got a Lazy Boy 'leather' office chair replaced (by another brand) under warranty by Office Mate at 15 months old, but that was after contacting LB head office in USA. Crazily, they also compensated me for the bad chair = win-win! I think if you push enough with the top men, you could get somewhere. Or threaten social media exposure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grapefruit said:

Have you read the guarantee that you were given when you bought the unit to confirm that it doesn't include the "main board"?   If it excludes it then there's nothing wrong with the guarantee, surely?

Was the warranty ever transferred from the original purchaser,?

I would have assumed (yes silly of me), that unless the unit was moved and installed in new abode by licensed approved tradesperson, then the warranty would be void.

Any mechanical thing left sitting unused, deteriorates under varying climatic conditions, this deterioration would never be covered in a warranty

• Confused 1

not the full history of the air con /first 2men came around said service 2 air machines in house 

1200b left said all working ok /one still not working 10min after they left/2nd man around changed some wires 1400b said to  get company on warranty to come look at compressor that the last mob left wanting 7000b  do anyone have proper credentials to repair anything in the country /or local beer shop write them a ticket to be engineer to repair  anything / i wonder about my airplane i go on next week

• Confused 1

Customer service in Thailand is very poor, they treat it more like crowd control, one exception is Decathlon that has a 2 year warranty, they don't balk, argue or get out the riot shields when you take something back, they accept it, smile and give refund

Edited by scubascuba3

now you know its the circuit board that is faulty
take it out and take it to an electronic repair shop
one of the ones that has a little old guy fixing old tv's and stuff
they will be able to test the board and replace whats at fault

my father fixed a fan here once, when he tested the circuit board it was a faulty resistor
he said the one they used only had a life of 500 hours
he replaced it with a resistor that has a life of 20,000 hours
fan still working fine years later now
the cost difference between these (in bulk) is literally a few satang

• Like 1

Did the OP complete the guarantee card that came with the air conditioner at time of purchase and send to the manufacturer? If not, he doesn't have ANY guarantee. It's not the manufacturer's fault that the an opportunist air conditioning reseller is trying to gouge him.

Edited by NanLaew

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Did the OP complete the guarantee card that came with the air conditioner at time of purchase and send to the manufacturer? If not, he doesn't have ANY guarantee. It's not the manufacturer's fault that the an opportunist air conditioning reseller is trying to gouge him.

As far as I know you don't need to send in the warranty card. To prove when you purchased the product you have to keep the receipt (take a photo because some will get unreadable after a while). 

29 minutes ago, Oldie said:

As far as I know you don't need to send in the warranty card. To prove when you purchased the product you have to keep the receipt (take a photo because some will get unreadable after a while). 

Yes. Sometimes in some countries your phone number is good enough (of course if you had given it at the time of purchase) for the proof of purchase.

16 hours ago, opalred said:

take today /brought an air conditioner/a few years old and not used much/would not start /had 10yr guarantee

called the company that sold it /  came out /said main board in condenser gone /want 7000b to fix/ that part not under guarantee told them to go to hell but had to pay 200b call fee/ so all guarantees not worth the paper written on

I bought a new 12kBTU HAIER inverter air-con a couple of months back from Lazada for 9,900bht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/haier-inverter-11568-btu-hsu-12vns03th-i896378003-s1806274853.html

Paid a local chap 2,500bht to install it.

7k for a repair is madness!

Edited by BritManToo

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not required.

The device has a serial number, the manufacturer records the date of production.

OK, you might miss out on the time the device sat on the shelf.

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bought a new 12kBTU HAIER inverter air-con a couple of months back from Lazada for 9,900bht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/haier-inverter-11568-btu-hsu-12vns03th-i896378003-s1806274853.html

maybe you payed too much ....  and free install ...

image.png.c1d72b29b3381c34f9ad63784f2d682b.png

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, and it is now 'cool' season when air conditioner shops have to fall back on their earnings from the 'hot' season'... or inattentive people who either didn't read the small print or have unregistered warranties.

In the same way as the UK used to have plumbers, be aware that in Thailand there are air conditioning installers and then there are real air conditioning installers.

Caveat emptor.

• Like 1