Cheapest insurance for O-A visa

10 hours ago, Polaky said:

Not real cluey on Insurance but if safetywing includes covid why do you need a second oa compliant? , isn't safetywing compliant?, and which one of those two includes the $100000 us coverage?

7 hours ago, 5ilver said:

However, I'm concerned if Safetywing will be recognized by the Thai embassy in regards to other types of visas such as the STV.  The Helsinki Thai embassy seems to specify that a policy from an "approved" Thai provider is required...

For the mandatory Non Imm O-A health-insurance, you would need one that meets the 400K/40K in/out patient requirement imposed by Thai Immigration and where the insurer provides you with a Certificate stating that your policy meets those requirements.

Obviously the ridiculously low 400K in-patient is also covered by the SafetyWing assurance (or any other insurance). BUT most insurance policies do not separately mention the 40K out-patient coverage, and foreign insurance companies are reluctant to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate as it refers to Thai legislation with which they are not familiar.  As those conditions need to be met, your only chance to get the FIC signed is when you have a good personal relationship with the agent/company rep of your foreign/international insurance provider, and I doubt that SafetyWing would be willing to sign/fill-in that FIC (obviously you can try and ask them).  But in case you are not able to get the FIC filled-in/signed by your foreign/international insurer you have no choice but to subscribe to a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy, the LMG Insurance policy being the cheapest one (next 'cheapest' one is at least 2.5 times more expensive).

The SafetyWing insurance provides a 250.000 US $ accident/illness coverage and INCLUDES covid-19 (at a premium often lower than the 100K US$ covid-19 ONLY insurances provided by the TIP).

There have been people re-entering Thailand with the SafetyWing insurance (or with other foreign/international insurance) that meets that 100K US$ requirement, so it certainly is NOT required to buy such insurance from the Thai insurance lobby.

>> @5ilver - I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the insurance requirement for the Non Imm O-A when applying for it in your home-country. 

As well as info on how to meet the 100K US $ covid-19 insurance requirement applicable for EVERYBODY entering Thailand during covid-times.

12 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

For the mandatory Non Imm O-A health-insurance, you would need one that meets the 400K/40K in/out patient requirement imposed by Thai Immigration and where the insurer provides you with a Certificate stating that your policy meets those requirements.

Obviously the ridiculously low 400K in-patient is also covered by the SafetyWing assurance (or any other insurance). BUT most insurance policies do not separately mention the 40K out-patient coverage, and foreign insurance companies are reluctant to sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate as it refers to Thai legislation with which they are not familiar.  As those conditions need to be met, your only chance to get the FIC signed is when you have a good personal relationship with the agent/company rep of your foreign/international insurance provider, and I doubt that SafetyWing would be willing to sign/fill-in that FIC (obviously you can try and ask them).  But in case you are not able to get the FIC filled-in/signed by your foreign/international insurer you have no choice but to subscribe to a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy, the LMG Insurance policy being the cheapest one (next 'cheapest' one is at least 2.5 times more expensive).

The SafetyWing insurance provides a 250.000 US $ accident/illness coverage and INCLUDES covid-19 (at a premium often lower than the 100K US$ covid-19 ONLY insurances provided by the TIP).

There have been people re-entering Thailand with the SafetyWing insurance (or with other foreign/international insurance) that meets that 100K US$ requirement, so it certainly is NOT required to buy such insurance from the Thai insurance lobby.

>> @5ilver - I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the insurance requirement for the Non Imm O-A when applying for it in your home-country. 

As well as info on how to meet the 100K US $ covid-19 insurance requirement applicable for EVERYBODY entering Thailand during covid-times.

Well that clears things up peter, not!, can you also send me that guide and I'll try to unravel the mystery ☺

Just to confirm that the LMG application process is pretty painless and I got the acceptance today after filling out the application form last Thursday, along with the a pdf of the policy emailed a few minutes later after I transferred the payment. Thanks @Peter Denis for your help.

A quick thought - my permission to stay expires 3rd November and I got the policy dated a few days earlier than that (29th October) just to give a few days leeway. While I expect my upcoming extension to be capped to 29th October 2021, what would happen if I go to Chaengwattana and try to get the extension before 29th? Will they just send me away and tell me to come back when the policy is in force, or will they process it anyway (given the insurance requirement only pertains to the extension)?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Well that clears things up peter, not!, can you also send me that guide and I'll try to unravel the mystery ☺

I now did PM you the same info as 5ilver > Hope it helps.

It consist of 1 - a Guideline document on how to meet the insurance requirement for the Non Imm O-A when applying for it in your home-country. 

2 - info on how to meet the 100K US $ covid-19 insurance requirement applicable for EVERYBODY entering Thailand during covid-times.

23 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I now did PM you the same info as 5ilver > Hope it helps.

It consist of 1 - a Guideline document on how to meet the insurance requirement for the Non Imm O-A when applying for it in your home-country. 

2 - info on how to meet the 100K US $ covid-19 insurance requirement applicable for EVERYBODY entering Thailand during covid-times.

Thank you peter ☺