Immigration asking for 1 year bank statements - bank is slow in providing them, what to do?

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Not acceptable. Needs to have banks official stamp

I downloaded my 12 month statement which is on bank letter head and it did not have the bank's official stamp. Accepted without any issues. So I guess that's another example of different IO's wanting something different.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I still don't understand why anyone would wait so late to do their extension.

When applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, IO requires that you have a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy.  And you are stamped in for 1-year of policy expiry date, whichever is shorter.  

Some IOs also require that the policy is already active on the day of application.  So if you apply 30 days early, you will lose those 30 days and only be stamped in for 11 months (till policy expiry date).

Hence the reason that those applicants wait till final days of permission to stay expiry to apply for their 1-year extension.

Of course they could have requested their local bank branch earlier for the 12-month bank statement as it can take up to 5 work-days at some bank branches to provide it.

But as this 12-month bank-statement is also a new requirement, some applicants might not be aware that it often cannot be provided on the spot and combined with the start-date of the insurance-policy they might have been 'taken by surprise' by the long processing time at some bank branches.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Speedhump said:

He is not talking about that, he is talking about monthly proof of transfer from overseas....

No he is not. From the OP.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:19 AM, patrickl said:

Asking this for a friend who is doing a 1 year retirement renewal using monthly pension (60k + difference in bank) from overseas with Embassy letter.

2 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Yes he is, monthly transfers rather than 800k in the bank.

He using a embassy issued proof of income to prove his income not monthly transfers.

He is using the combination of income and money in the bank to reach a total of  800k baht. They are wanting proof that his money in bank was kept at the correct balance required by the rules for a year after his previous extension.

• Like 2

What I dont understand is why Immigration and the Banks dont talk to each other. It's a chargeable revenue earning service for the banks. The Bank check the records and  issue the documents for a fee. The Bank get a big wad of long term cash in the accounts.  Immigration get the exact paperwork they need. Customers get a simple process.  After a fight last year I called the Kasikorn Bank help desk and suggested they had one branch that  understood the requirement and offered a template service for a fee near each immigration office. They could not comprehend why it was a good idea. I have a million baht in an account, pay 250 Baht a year for an ATM card and still have an annual fight to get a printed statement in a format acceptable to immigration that I also have to pay for.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, happydays said:

HH also accept 2 x 6 month statements.

Not at the start of this year. If they do now then that's an advancement of sorts. But Kbsnk will only print off the last three months free anyway, then 500 baht for each earlier statement, so best to keep on top of it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turgid said:

What I dont understand is why Immigration and the Banks dont talk to each other. It's a chargeable revenue earning service for the banks. The Bank check the records and  issue the documents for a fee. The Bank get a big wad of long term cash in the accounts.  Immigration get the exact paperwork they need. Customers get a simple process.  After a fight last year I called the Kasikorn Bank help desk and suggested they had one branch that  understood the requirement and offered a template service for a fee near each immigration office. They could not comprehend why it was a good idea. I have a million baht in an account, pay 250 Baht a year for an ATM card and still have an annual fight to get a printed statement in a format acceptable to immigration that I also have to pay for.

Immigration doesn't care about making your life easier. They are in the office 9-5 whether it's easy for you or not. Sending you away for a bank statement is less effort than dealing with the banks...that's on us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He using a embassy issued proof of income to prove his income not monthly transfers.

He is using the combination of income and money in the bank to reach a total of  800k baht. They are wanting proof that his money in bank was kept at the correct balance required by the rules for a year after his previous extension.

Ah yes, thanks, so he needs proof of both actually, including proof of transfer from outside Thailand. Got it. 

5 minutes ago, turgid said:

Yes, a very good idea and it would bring the first Thai Bank that adopts it a considerable advantage for capturing a large chunk of the Foreigner Banking business.  Also quite easy to implement and run a pilot project to test whether it would fly (it will).

An innovative Thai Bank would simply have to add a separate 'Foreign Customer Service' counter in a branche located close to an IO in a province with many foreigners living there (e.g. near the IO in Phuket, CM, Jomtien or CW).

That counter would need to be manned with a fluent english-speaking desk-officer knowledgeable in IO banking requirements, and the branch would pride themselves in making it easy to open a new account there and easy to get any needed IO bank-statements.

Many foreigners would open a new account there, and if the Bank lives up to its promise, they would become the Bank choice of preference for foreigners needing IO banking-services.

But I guess that that kind of entrepreneurial foresight and vision is lacking in Thai banking...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Ah yes, thanks, so he needs proof of both actually, including proof of transfer from outside Thailand. Got it. 

There is no requirement for proof of transfers from abroad if you have proof of income from a embassy. Immigration could ask for proof of that income but it does no have to be proof of transfers. It could be something from the source of the income such as a penrion statement.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:28 AM, ubonjoe said:

They are wanting proof this year that full the full amount of the money in the bank stayed in the bank for 3 months and then half of it for the remainder of the year.

Apparently that is Bangkok Bank since they are the only one needing a week to get them as far as I know. If it is Bangkok Bank and he is near Bangkok he could go the to the main office on Silom Road and get it while he waits.

There is no extension he can apply for. But there would be no overstay fine until after the 31st. But he needs to talk to the office where he is applying about doing his extension a few days late.

I obtain a statement from Bangkok Bank every 6 months, which is supplied while you wait for 100 baht.

Both 6 months statements are accepted along with the letter confirming it is indeed my account, by my IO.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

IME. CW  - ext stay/ret/inc. - asked for copies, and the originals, of my BBL passbooks for the previous 12 months. (I did have two sets of six-month statements in hand, not asked for.) The originals were returned with my passport.

I guess I would see if passbooks will be sufficient, assuming the "friend" has them.

For extension of stay last May I had the last six months bank records but IO (HUAHIN) wanted the six months before that as well. I left and went to Bangkok Bank in Chaam. They told me it would be approx 5 days, which I didn't have time for. 

So the bank took my pass book, copied those pages and stamped and signed them. I went back to IO and they accepted it, but reluctantly. They knew I was in a bind and I guess between the two documents they thought it was highly likely that I always maintained more than the 800k balance, which I had done. 

I'm not saying it will work but is worth asking politely. 

After that I immediately opened a Timed  Deposit account and will use that from now on. Fortunately I am able to do that and will not deal with this issue again. All my expenses are normally paid with ATM cash from a separate normal savings account. 

Good luck and thanks for playing Immigration Roulette! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Immigration doesn't care about making your life easier. They are in the office 9-5 whether it's easy for you or not. Sending you away for a bank statement is less effort than dealing with the banks...that's on us.

You need to chill out and talk  good to IMO then maybe !!

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement for proof of transfers from abroad if you have proof of income from a embassy. Immigration could ask for proof of that income but it does no have to be proof of transfers. It could be something from the source of the income such as a penrion statement.

And this embassy willingness to produce authenticated paperwork of course depends totally on your nationality. As the song goes: 'some girls will. some girls won't'. 

6 hours ago, turgid said:

I have a million baht in an account, pay 250 Baht a year for an ATM card and still have an annual fight to get a printed statement in a format acceptable to immigration that I also have to pay for.

But who is 'the problem here'....  I suspect immigration?

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 12:19 AM, patrickl said:

Asking this for a friend who is doing a 1 year retirement renewal using monthly pension (60k + difference in bank) from overseas with Embassy letter. The documents are all okay but Immigration asked for 1 year bank statements. Last year they asked only for 2 months bank statements. The bank said it takes 7-10 days to get them done but the visa is expiring in 3 days. What to do? Is there any sort of temporary extension to get while waiting for the bank statements?

Is this something new? All I need to supply in Surin is my confirmation of pension from the German embassy, I've never been asked to supply a bank statement.. 

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Is this something new? All I need to supply in Surin is my confirmation of pension from the German embassy, I've never been asked to supply a bank statement.. 

Every office may have differing requirements and within each office...depending on what desk you get assigned to...you guessed it...different stuff....very frustrating

36 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I assume you are using the income option. The OP is using the combination option and needs the bank statement to meet the requirements for it to prove he maintained the required bank account balances since his last application. 

• Like 1

CIMB do 12 month statements, while you wait..but I agree 100% about their lack of cooperation with immigration to get it done right the first time.  Several years ago, their letter was rejected, and two of the really good lookers took me back to immigration, went up to the officer and told them I was legit..I had caught a different error on their letter, but didn't realize they didn't put the account number on the letter..and that was back during the days of overnight camping at CM.  Finding a branch of any bank that are truly competent on immigration matters is somewhat more difficult than finding a needle in a haystack.  Perhaps, it is a good ole shoot yourself in the foot, loss of face issue for the banks to acknowledge that one retiree has more in their bank than 100 locals, and it is a very sweet deal for them.  Unfortunately, it is less sweet now, with no one for them to loan money, too.

I am fortunate to have money on deposit that is in excess of the 800K required.  Just the same, When my visa renewal comes up I go to the IO with my bankbooks etc. and ask if they need anything else, such as a medical examination performed within the previous 7 days, or whatever.  I arrange at my BKK bank head office in Buriram to have al letter produce with the date on it when I plan to go for my renewal, and confirms the money shown in my passbook is there even if it is in the next week ahead.  This year I am going to try to use my Thai DL and usufruct contract and apply w/o my GF going along with our/her bluebook too.  I don't see any rules that state a single man must co habit with a GF (or BF) to get a visa. 

RE Finding BKK bank transaction details of your online banking account.  Someone posted a small note explaining that there is a selection option that is a 'ghost' selection on the upper right hand of the screen.  Selecting this will give details about that account of who was paid and when (deposits too).  I have BKK bank online banking and cannot find this option and also cannot find the post where it was recently written.   Does anyone know more about this?

I rarely complain about Thailand etc. but how one of the biggest banks in the country cannot provide detailed information about customer's transaction is beyond me.  When we request a service such as the visa letter there are multiple forms filled in and stamped and passport and passbook photocopies taken and stamped etc. etc..  All for the 100 baht service fee!  The amount of paperwork and ID verification taken for the most simple operation is enormous and yet they cannot provide what I would call a 'Bank Statement'?  Give me a break folks.  

I have plenty of stories about <deleted> banks in France, UK, US and Canada too, but don't get me started.

Happy to be here in paradise.

Take care and keep safe, as they say.

18 minutes ago, notrub said:

RE Finding BKK bank transaction details of your online banking account.  Someone posted a small note explaining that there is a selection option that is a 'ghost' selection on the upper right hand of the screen. 

Select an account on the page that is open after you log in.

Then at the bottom of the page you will see this. Change the months and dates you want to download or print.

image.png.18d63a8aea7d281a0f147a13b4fa070a.png

Then at the top of the page click download or print. image.png.f9e3c376a4ed1bd37a0b85b0348a666d.png