Applying for Special Tourist Visa

I'm interested to know if anyone (other than Chinese) have made any progress in applying for the 9-month Special Tourist Visa (STV). I returned to Australia from Thailand in March and have been stuck here ever since. (I own a condo in Jomtien and have a non-O retirement visa plus re-entry permit, plus I have a Thai bank account with more than B500k in it.) I emailed the Thai Long Stay company on 30 September, but got no reply. I tried phoning them but they did not answer their phone. I got an email from them on 8 October asking for my passport details and the location of my nearest Thai consulate. I sent these, and also told them that I am happy to meet any conditions they set, including testing, hotel quarantine, police checks, health insurance, tracking etc. I got another email on 21 October which said: "Thank you very much for sending us your information. Your information has already been registered in our system. Once we are able to officially start processing your application, we will update you as soon as possible." Has anyone got any further with them than this? I believe the hold-up is that Long Stay have not yet received from the Thai government a list of countries whose citizens will be eligible for the STV, but that they are expected to decide this before the end of this month. Can anyone confirm that? 

Maybe a bit off topic, but if you were eligible in Thailand for a retirement extension based on your  Non Imm O Visa and have 500K on a Thai bank-account, why don't you apply for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa.

You would need 300K additional on a bank-account (as you need to show 800K on bank-accounts), and subscribe to the mandatory IO-approved health-insurance for Non Imm O-A application (easy if you know how).

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, what's the situation with Oz gov stating AU citizens cannot exit Australia.

I've read that permission to do so has been very much exception rather than rule

That permission is mentioned in the requirements for the visas.

"5. Permission to travel from Australia issued by the Australian Border Force

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/departmental-forms/online-forms/covid19-enquiry-form"

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

... what's the situation with Oz gov stating AU citizens cannot exit Australia.

Still being dicks but it has never applied to those that normally reside outside Australia and if intending staying outside for > 3 months shouldn't be an issue either.

16 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Still being dicks but it has never applied to those that normally reside outside Australia and if intending staying outside for > 3 months shouldn't be an issue either.

Correct. Was not aware of that.

I note it states "if your travelling outside Australia 3 months or more......

Wonder what stops someone just stating they are traveling for 3+ months 

Screenshot_20201025-183208~2.png

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct. Was not aware of that.

I "think" initially it had some kind of "pressing circumstances" clause re the 3 month thing which was relaxed a few weeks ago.

Still see no reason whatsoever to refuse people leaving (allowing for flight availability) ... coming back is a totally separate issue IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JomtienExile said:

I emailed the Thai Long Stay company on 30 September, but got no reply. I tried phoning them but they did not answer their phone. I got an email from them on 8 October asking for my passport details and the location of my nearest Thai consulate.

I've had the same experience as you, as did many others - Thai Long Stay Co. just doesn't seem all that reliable and I probably wouldn't risk giving them their THB 10K non-refundable application fee. Nothing to stop them from giving the same silent treatment, or reverting with the same "we're still waiting for further details" response after taking the money.

I imagine Thai Long Stay Co. still hasn't sorted our their terms with the govt, on perhaps less stringent requirements if one applies via TLS to justify the application fee they charge. Or it could be some behind-the-scenes jostling over brown envelope commercial terms.

On the bright side, a few embassies from a number of select cities around the world have published STV application information so applying direct with these embassies is possible now. As mentioned by Ubonjoe, the Canberra embassy is one of them.

One thing to note is the STV isn't a 9 month visa, but technically a 3 month visa with 2 additional extensions of 3 month each. I guess even if the initial STV is stated as 3 months, you should be able to get clearance from Border Force to exit.

2 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

On the bright side, a few embassies from a number of select cities around the world have published STV application information so applying direct with these embassies is possible now. As mentioned by Ubonjoe, the Canberra embassy is one of them.

So how many STV entries have there been so far world wide. I'm aware of the 39 from China last week and more scheduled from China shortly. Been mentioned in Thai news forum that STV from Europe November?.

Believe it when I see it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

So how many STV entries have there been so far world wide. I'm aware of the 39 from China last week and more scheduled from China shortly. Been mentioned in Thai news forum that STV from Europe November?.

Believe it when I see it.

These 3 groups (2 from China + 1 from Scandinavia) seems to be pre-arranged ones on charter flights as they were announced by the Thai authorities at the start of October, way before any of the embassies started publishing info publicly about the application process. I imagine these folks are connected and aren't regular applicants.

I believe around mid-Nov onwards, we should start hearing reports from the first few successful STV applicants as I do know a few people (including myself) who are trying to give this a go right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

I believe around mid-Nov onwards, we should start hearing reports from the first few successful STV applicants as I do know a few people (including myself) who are trying to give this a go right now.

If in Europe and not in Norway or Finland, I think you better hurry. I am in Denmark and I plan to apply Monday or Tuesday with arrival November 6th. They update the list of countries the 1st and the 15th every month, and I am sure many European countries will be removed from the list at the next update.

I applied through TL but they cancelled the flight. They have the money for the fees and plane ticket and I got nothing. Still hoping, but it is really disorganized and they do not seem to be talking with the consulates that control the planes.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5ilver said:

What's your definition of "few"

Get back to us when there are hundreds of entries of STV.

Especially from countries other than the mother ship.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I applied through TL but they cancelled the flight. They have the money for the fees and plane ticket and I got nothing. Still hoping, but it is really disorganized and they do not seem to be talking with the consulates that control the planes.

This is why I’m very reluctant to apply for STV using the Longstay Company, even if I did accept all the requirements. I understand I’m also supposed to hand over the 10K baht application fee without knowing the cost of flight tickets and insurance. 

Yesterday i read newspaper here in Finland. There was a story Thailand opening to tourists also but not for average tourist because of need for 15 K euros for 6 months. Journalist was in contact in thaiembassy and was told that already some touristvisas are approved and some in process in both touristvisa categories available at the moment. 

First "Tourist"Finns are coming next month with these visas using same semi-commercial flights like other foreigners who are allowed.

Edited by thaitero
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What's your definition of "few"

Get back to us when there are hundreds of entries of STV.

Especially from countries other than the mother ship.

My definition of a "few" is probably 10-20. Hundreds would be TAT-level of optimism.

And this is despite the fact that "semi-commercial" flights are now available, which frankly does make planning dates easier than having to rely on a consular-arranged charter flight. However, the gauntlet of documentation one needs to put together for the STV is no mean feat and I doubt there will be "hundreds" applying in droves.

5 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Can you share if you paid the fees to them this October or before? Note that you seem to be based in China, and I'm wondering if TL was already coordinating something there prior to official public announcement and start of the STV earlier this month.

Thanks for all these replies, particularly those which are on-topic ????
* I have tried contacting the Thai embassy in Canberra, but they are very hard to communicate directly with. I will try again this week. 
* I agree that I would rather not deal with Long Stay, but they seem to have the STV franchise. No doubt it is run by some general's brother.
* Yes Home Affairs have clarified that people leaving Australia for three months will get an exit permit. That's why the STV is more useful for Australians than a short-term tourist visa. 
* I have seen reports both that the STV is for 3 months renewable twice, and for 9 months renewable twice. Either is fine with me. Once I'm back in Thailand I can work how long I want to stay and then negotiate that.

1 hour ago, JomtienExile said:

Thanks for all these replies, particularly those which are on-topic ????
* I have tried contacting the Thai embassy in Canberra, but they are very hard to communicate directly with. I will try again this week. 
* I agree that I would rather not deal with Long Stay, but they seem to have the STV franchise. No doubt it is run by some general's brother.
* Yes Home Affairs have clarified that people leaving Australia for three months will get an exit permit. That's why the STV is more useful for Australians than a short-term tourist visa. 
* I have seen reports both that the STV is for 3 months renewable twice, and for 9 months renewable twice. Either is fine with me. Once I'm back in Thailand I can work how long I want to stay and then negotiate that.

Thai embassy in Canberra generally replies via email within 24 hours, unlike sydney, never had trouble getting through to them,

I applied to leave the country last week, I uploaded a copy of an old visa, only because you need to upload something, no stat decs, no other documents, just tick the box that said your leaving for over 3 months that's it, approval within 24 hours.

I think op is better off with applying for an oa rather than an stv, cost would be approx same except for a reduced premium for 3 month insurance rather than 12 months, with all the hoops in place you better have at least 100,000 baht minimum, you have to ask yourself is it worth it?, I think not, but each to their own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

What is the Thai Embassy's definition of semi-commercial flights for travellers with the STV?

"Currently, the approved applicants are permitted to enter Thailand only by repatriation flights or cargo flights organised by the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate-General or permitted semi-commercial flights, namely, Emirates (EK384), Etihad (EY406), EVA (BR211), Qatar Airways (QR 826, QR830, QR832, QR834, QR836, QR980), Singapore Airline (SQ976), Cathay Pacific (CX653), Lufthansa  (LH772), Austrian Airlines (OS25), Swiss Air (LX180), KLM (KL873, KL875, KL887, KL847, KL811, KL843, KL815, KL803) and Air France (AF253, AF168)."

Source: https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/application-for-certificate-of-entry-coe-for-non-thai-nationals/

Polaky, could you clarify this? "I think op is better off with applying for an oa rather than an stv."
The only visa categories I can see at the Thai Embassy website are the 60-day tourist visa (no use to me), the non-immigrant B (not applicable to me), and the STV. What do you mean by "oa"?

22 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

Polaky, could you clarify this? "I think op is better off with applying for an oa rather than an stv."
The only visa categories I can see at the Thai Embassy website are the 60-day tourist visa (no use to me), the non-immigrant B (not applicable to me), and the STV. What do you mean by "oa"?

It is here on the embassy website. https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/11-2-long-stay-o-a-and-long-stay-10-years-o-x-visa-holders-retirement-visa-holders/

It is also shown on the list for getting a COE. https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/application-for-certificate-of-entry-coe-for-non-thai-nationals/

42 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

In my response (first post on Page 1) I wrote > Maybe a bit off topic, but if you were eligible in Thailand for a retirement extension based on your  Non Imm O Visa and have 500K on a Thai bank-account, why don't you apply for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa.

You would need 300K additional on a bank-account (as you need to show 800K on bank-accounts), and subscribe to the mandatory IO-approved health-insurance for Non Imm O-A application (easy if you know how).

>> Do check out the links provided by UJ in the post above this one.

I also did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the mandatory IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged-in to the forum.

I'm sorry to appear dense, but I don't follow this. I already have a Non-O Non-Immigrant Retirement visa, plus a multiple re-entry permit valid until next June. But as I understand it these have been suspended since April. Is your advice that I should now apply for a Certificate of Entry based on that visa, rather than apply for the STV or any other new visa?

2 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

I'm sorry to appear dense, but I don't follow this. I already have a Non-O Non-Immigrant Retirement visa, plus a multiple re-entry permit valid until next June. But as I understand it these have been suspended since April. Is your advice that I should now apply for a Certificate of Entry based on that visa, rather than apply for the STV or any other new visa?

A still valid permission to stay (protected by a Re-Entry Permit) based on an original Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, will NOT be accepted by the Thai Embassy in Australia as eligible for the CoE.

Such still valid permission to stay MIGHT be accepted when you are married to a Thai national or have Thai dependent children, but in that case you would have to check with the Embassy whether they would accept it.

But a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa will be accepted as eligible for the CoE.

I think your confusion is in thinking that a Non Imm O-A and a Non Imm O Visa are same, while in fact it are different types of Visa with different requirements/conditions to be fulfilled when applying for them.

15 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

Perhaps you can clarify which of those visas this is.

You were issued a non-o visa that allowed you a 90 day entry and you applied for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You also have a re-entry permit to keep that extension valid when you enter the country.

You could apply for a Non-OA visa that will be valid for one year from the day it issued and will allow unlimited one year entries until it expire.

15 minutes ago, JomtienExile said:

I am not married.
Perhaps you can clarify which of those visas this is.

Yes, your Visa situation is crystal clear.

You applied for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement on 16 March 2020, and the 90-day permission to stay it provided was till 13 June 2020.

You then applied for a 1-year extension for reason of retirement based on that original Visa and that did provide you with a permission to stay till 13 June 2021.  You then did buy a Mulitple Entry Re-Entry Permit to protect that permission to stay when exiting Thailand.