Flying to Thailand during UK lockdown

Hi all. 
My father needs to return to Thailand for work, his flight is booked for 24 Nov. However, with the UK announcing another lockdown (and providing the flights are still running) does anyone know of a clinic, in person or online, where he would be able to get his Covid test and fit to fly certificate? 
We called a clinic in London yesterday and they told us that they will be closed during another lockdown.

• Confused 1

I used the Hale Clinic in Harley St. Very efficient and results back next day.

As they provide other medical services, can’t see why they would shut in lockdown.

If he doesn’t have a visa, and Thai Embassy closes to visitors, you would need to apply by post I guess

Good luck

Thank you for the advice.

Just to clarify, he does have a work visa, so as it stands at the moment he can return, with a COE, Covid test, fit to fly certificate from a doctor and 14 day quarantine, at a designated facility, when he arrives. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Why? They 'll go in quarantine and after that they are as clean as anybody else in thailand.

There have already been 2 examples of people who went through quarantine and then later tested positive.  False negative tests are very common and some people can remain infected for longer than 2 weeks. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

but isn't the UK on the no entry- high  risk list  ?? 

That list is only for those applying for the special tourist visa and the new single entry tourist visa. Plus those with a APEC card.

Don’t let facts get in the way of someone’s dream to be a tool !!!!

Op: your location in the uk may help.

lots of CoE returnees, some of whom may be from a similar area. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Have boots pharmacy not started doing 90 minute tests for £120 a time ?

I did think about boots but was not sure if it is the same one as the embassy requires. In an idea world it would be good to get the fit to fly certificate from the same place but I know that might not be possible in the circumstances.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t let facts get in the way of someone’s dream to be a tool !!!!

Op: your location in the uk may help.

lots of CoE returnees, some of whom may be from a similar area. 

Thanks. He is in Oxfordshire.

46 minutes ago, Promula said:

Any idea on the the Mail is reporting a ban on international travel from the UK like that in Malaysia? Sounds like <deleted> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8902029/Holidays-abroad-outlawed-strict-new-winter-lockdown-rules.html

Yes, but I think there is still a question as to

whether this applies to travel,

domestic or international, for work purposes, other news sources have said travel for work will be permitted.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Promula said:

Any idea on the the Mail is reporting a ban on international travel from the UK like that in Malaysia? Sounds like <deleted> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8902029/Holidays-abroad-outlawed-strict-new-winter-lockdown-rules.html

Unless for work as far as I’m aware . But the flights to Thailand are repatriation flights and not commercial so you can’t just book a seat and go , hence hoop jumping competition the Thai gov are running and you have to meet their criteria to get the COE . I’m assuming if you meet all requirements you can leave but not return for a while possibly, hence I’m not planning on returning for at least a year .

2 hours ago, Emhed said:

I did think about boots but was not sure if it is the same one as the embassy requires. In an idea world it would be good to get the fit to fly certificate from the same place but I know that might not be possible in the circumstances.

The BOOTS test is not a PCR test which is what is required. 

Your major problem will be airlines - unless you are going to take Thai repatriation flights (which are horrifically hard to get hold off), you may be left with nothing. At the moment you have Emirates, Qatar, but if they chose not to fly into the UK during the period you are left with nothing. 

I doubt this lockdown will last a month. Infact i believe restrictions on flights will be for a long time. 

9 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Have boots pharmacy not started doing 90 minute tests for £120 a time ?

that won’t meet the Thai standard which is for a swab test from an accredited lab.

@Emhed make sure to book on an airline that is not likely to cancel due to lockdown. Emirates probably a good bet. My Dubai flight was half full but went anyway

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes there has been 2 recent cases. So your next move is to halt all entries into Thailand including Thai nationals? Please outline your plan moving forward.

Foreigners need 3 consecutive negative tests over 3 weeks to get in. Chances of 3 false negatives are virtually non existent.

With the so called French woman in Samui (actually Thai dual national I gather) nobody knows how she got it, but quite likely from a local undetected cluster. Such clusters have popped up in even the strictest countries such ad NZ and China

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

But the flights to Thailand are repatriation flights and not commercial so you can’t just book a seat and go , hence hoop jumping competition the Thai gov are running and you have to meet their criteria to get the COE .

This is well out of date. Commercial flights from the UK and elsewhere to Thailand have been allowed for over a month. About 10 airlines are now authorised to land in Bkk. Details on Thai Embassy website.

On the specific recommendation of the Thai Embassy, I booked Emirates and arrived 10 days ago without any problems

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

The BOOTS test is not a PCR test which is what is required. 

Your major problem will be airlines - unless you are going to take Thai repatriation flights (which are horrifically hard to get hold off), you may be left with nothing. At the moment you have Emirates, Qatar, but if they chose not to fly into the UK during the period you are left with nothing. 

I doubt this lockdown will last a month. Infact i believe restrictions on flights will be for a long time. 

Add Etihad and Lufthansa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

This is well out of date. Commercial flights from the UK and elsewhere to Thailand have been allowed for over a month. About 10 airlines are now authorised to land in Bkk. Details on Thai Embassy website.

On the specific recommendation of the Thai Embassy, I booked Emirates and arrived 10 days ago without any problems

Was around 5 I seen last time , eva , Emirates , Thai and can’t remember others. Where did you fly from and what was cost ? I looked at Thai yesterday and was £630 one way lhr to Bkk .

10 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

that won’t meet the Thai standard which is for a swab test from an accredited lab.

@Emhed make sure to book on an airline that is not likely to cancel due to lockdown. Emirates probably a good bet. My Dubai flight was half full but went anyway

Thank you.

He already has a flight booked with Emirates, so we just need to keep out fingers crossed that they do not cancel.