Six-year-old’s dangerous game prompts doctor to warn parents

webfact

Six-year-old’s dangerous game prompts doctor to warn parents

By THE NATION

800_5f72b658b423d87.jpg

A medical expert is warning parents to keep a close eye on their children after a six-year-old got violently ill when a Bt5 coin got stuck in his throat.

Dr Arak Wongworachat, the director of Sichon Hospital in Nakhon Si Thammarat, said in a Facebook post that the child had hidden the coin in his mouth, but ended up accidentally swallowing it. 

When the child started vomiting, foaming at the mouth and was unable to speak, his parents took him to a hospital nearby, where doctors said the coin was stuck deep in his throat. 

The child was then transferred to Sichon Hospital and the coin removed via a surgical procedure. 

Arak explained that in the worst case scenario, the coin could have blocked the child’s windpipe and killed him, or ended up getting stuck somewhere else in the body which would require serious surgery. 

Hence, he said, it is imperative that parents keep a close eye on what their young children are up to for the sake of their safety.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397322

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-04

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

What kind of "games" are there that require players to put coins in their mouths?

Here in the states its called Hunger Games and requires a mask on your face.....few tend to follow the rules

Thinking of renaming game to "The Purge"  Maga edition...a coin would be the least of my problems here...

17 hours ago, mark131v said:

Seriously how is this news? If people are too stupid to understand that children swallowing coin's can be dangerous then I despair,  I know common sense is rare in Thailand but really....

Really???????? It Is News.... It is news to stupid parents - of which there many. IT IS NEWS in the form of a 'wake up call' for THOSE PARENTS. If it is boring to you go and look at another post. If this story 'woke up' just one parent and saved one child, and even if it didn't, and it wasted a minute of your precious time. I FEEL it was worth the try to alert other parents. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

My little brother once swallowed a thruppeny bit (yes, I am that old). The doctor told my parents to check his feaces (mash with a fork - yuk!) until the coin emerged.

For a couple of days my Dad did the mashing and, when Mum asked if he had found the thruppence, he always joked that there was "no change".

There were no ill effects.

I don't know why kids like to put coins in there mouth, but I'm sure it's pretty common. I also remember doing it, but never swallowed one.

I did exactly the same, at the time 5yrs old laying on the floor tasting it coz i think i was thinking about the sweets i could buy with it, hospital gave me bread to eat, dad checking poo every day, never found it though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I did exactly the same, at the time 5yrs old laying on the floor tasting it coz i think i was thinking about the sweets i could buy with it, hospital gave me bread to eat, dad checking poo every day, never found it though.

You should keep checking. A coin that old could be worth a lot of money now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's news because it happened and they wish to make it known to others to be careful, prevention is better than cure.

If  I  pull one of the kids  arm down does it mean I might win the jackpot?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Really???????? It Is News.... It is news to stupid parents - of which there many. IT IS NEWS in the form of a 'wake up call' for THOSE PARENTS. If it is boring to you go and look at another post. If this story 'woke up' just one parent and saved one child, and even if it didn't, and it wasted a minute of your precious time. I FEEL it was worth the try to alert other parents. 

Oh dear, there there, just ignore the naughty man....

5 hours ago, kensawadee said:

In other news a prominent expert advised if you or your child stick your hand in a fire it may cause pain and injury however precious fallangs boiling their head in microwave is absolutely fine, <deleted> give me strength...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bodga said:

Parents were  also warned that giving children razor  blades may also be harmful

No, they will only be warned by a competent medical expert once a child has played with razor blades and caused harm.

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

More concern is the swallowing in small lithium batteries from toys and things. Burns the esophagus, causing death pretty quickly  . Parents also leave packets of them in reach of kids.

"...small lithium batteries ... causing death pretty quickly"

Not likely to happen with the small batteries, it's the larger ones that cause problems and then only when they get stuck in the oesophagus.  Those that don't get stuck usually pass through harmlessly.

21 minutes ago, Legendary Monkey said:

Not likely to happen with the small batteries, it's the larger ones that cause problems and then only when they get stuck in the oesophagus.  Those that don't get stuck usually pass through harmlessly.

That has not been the case on several occasions, of which I am aware

://www.smh.com.au/national/the-walking-dead-toddlers-who-swallow-button-batteries-20180815-p4zxmz.html

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Legendary Monkey said:

Are these Ok?

444770961.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

That has not been the case on several occasions, of which I am aware

://www.smh.com.au/national/the-walking-dead-toddlers-who-swallow-button-batteries-20180815-p4zxmz.html

The death in that article that you linked to was a result of the battery lodging in the girls oesophagus!      That's what the article was about, whether you were made yourself aware of it or not.