Warning! Ride slowly and watch out for dogs.

teacherclaire

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some people call this ’the Nanny State’ which implies a degree of criticism that people are ‘controlling us’ whereas other see the common sense and benefit in laws which exist for our safety.  I may have misunderstood your [Lacessit] calling the ban on Bull Bars ‘a bit nanny state’ which (to me) seemed critical of the ban which favours pedestrian safety.

Sometimes, posters on TV misunderstand one another, and can actually clear up the misunderstanding amicably.

There's a couple of "nanny state" regulations in the state of Victoria which to me are just bureaucratic stupidity.

Exhibit 1. You can't make a left-hand turn there against a red light. You can do it in Thailand, no problem.

Exhibit 2. Installing a bum gun is illegal. Bacteria and viruses can apparently swim all the way past a check valve and against the water flow to the mains supply.

I think I've posted other examples on another thread, so I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

This post's point is that dogs are in heat, and you can see plenty of them from other areas almost everywhere.

Ride safe, that's all I wanted to say after I almost crashed. 

Dogs come on heat at different times. They dont all come on heat at the same time due to many factors.

4 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Dogs come on heat at different times. They dont all come on heat at the same time due to many factors.

I too, thought that was a little ‘whacky’ but knowing nothing about dogs I thought I’d better double check before ridiculing the idea....

Certainly for ‘domesticated’ and house pets there is no seasonality, however, for ’non domesticated’ animals there is apparently some evidence which suggests a reproductive seasonality.

‘Free Ranging’ dogs apparently go into heat during the monsoon season, an evolutionary legacy whereby shortly after the monsoon there is greater food resource. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4668084/

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Exhibit 1. You can't make a left-hand turn there against a red light. You can do it in Thailand, no problem.

Been cited for that exact thing,

at a light without prohibiting signage.

Thai Tourist police confirmed it is illegal.

Nice try tho.

3 minutes ago, papa al said:

Been cited for that exact thing,

at a light without prohibiting signage.

Thai Tourist police confirmed it is illegal.

Nice try tho.

You may be right.Having said that, see people doing it all the time in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, and I do it myself. Have never been cited in 10 years. You must have a very active plod in your neck of the woods, they are asleep at the checkpoints I go through.

I understand prostitution is illegal in Thailand too.

22 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I have no idea if you've realized the number of dogs that are currently almost everywhere. On each road, Soi, at places where you'd not think that dogs are. It's the time of the year when dogs are in heat, so please be careful. 

I almost crashed into two black dogs that were invisible to me because a car was in front of me. When I took over, there were two giant black dogs in the middle of the road at night. 

I was only lucky that nothing happened and my loud horns scared them away. But often there's no time to hit the button. 

Black dogs at night, watching the traffic, and in a Nanosecond, it could happen. Please be safe out there and watch out for these creatures.

Some owners let their dogs live on the roads, and they run after every biker. I've seen a girl falling near our place, but the dog could run away.

And the dog is, of course, back on the road. The owner doesn't show responsibility of his actions to let the dog stay there 24/7.

The next accident is only a matter of time. Ride safe. 

drive slow, watch out for dogs!  gee....wish I had thought of that!!!!!!

seriously dude, you think we dont know that?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

drive slow, watch out for dogs!  gee....wish I had thought of that!!!!!!

seriously dude, you think we dont know that?

A dirt bike with 21-inch front tires will usually

roll over most dogs pretty well.

18 minutes ago, papa al said:

Right.  At many lights if you stop in a left lane on red

there will be many very <deleted> off drivers behind you.

Thai tourist police confirmed this also.

I think the expression is " between a rock and a hard place".

17 hours ago, impulse said:

Though they're not as common as dogs, countryside people (and city folk) ambling on the road after dark are an even greater threat.  

So it's a good idea not to overdrive your headlights, and not overtake when you can't see beyond your reaction plus braking distance.

If you think hitting a dog will ruin your night...

Hitting a local can ruin your life.

I nearly hit a local last week after dark. walking towards me wearing dark clothes and some rain falling as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are comparing the banning of 'Bull-Bars’ on cars in a country with no roaming cattle or dogs to Covid-19 control measures. 

Really? I hit a horse that escaped from a field in the UK and a work colleague hit a cow that had escaped. Quite common in the UK. Lots of roaming dogs until maybe 10 years ago.

Time is well overdue to call time on Soi Dogs everywhere in Thailand.  Thailand is not a backward Country but

continuing to allow stray dogs running and biting children playing, chasing cyclists and motorcyclists is backward and archaic. Not to mention the fouling and urine everywhere staining the sidewalks. Round them all up now and care for them in a gated community.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apologies...  

What about all the stray soi dogs?  the 1000’s roaming the streets with no owners etc...  the ones that are the real problem?

Agree. These loose soi dogs are a big problem. There used to be unofficial "dog catchers" patrolling where I live and they would scoop up said soi dogs. They were probably headed for the "border areas" where dogs are still consumed.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, johnray said:

You should be able to see two large objects in front of your bike.  Sounds like you were speeding.

Idiot, did you not read his post all the way. It was at night. He was overtaking on the left I assume. As soon as he got clear of the vehicle he was passing. The dogs were right there. I agree way to many wild dogs. I live in Myanmar, and it is the same thing. Dogs, left, right and center. No humane society to deal with them. They are a menace.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ReLo said:

Nobody having an accident can say that he is not at all responsible for it !

if you drive any vehicle you should be able to control it whatever happens ! of if you are too old, just don't drive !

You may want to study some applied mechanics. Vehicles today are designed to be very safe but since there are so many of them traveling at high speeds, it is virtually impossible to control them in ALL events. And that is why some places now proportion blame to people involved in accidents. Sometimes it's 50/50 and on occasion it's 100/0.

On 11/4/2020 at 9:23 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Dosent matter what you see, dogs can jump any time front of you! I stop drive bike after sunset, when i hit dog this year. Had speed maybe 50-60 km/ h . Not broke any bones or hit my head but not nice whit all cut's every place my hads and legs. Visit clinic to clean those every day almost 2 weeks! After first aid in hospital.

I hope the dogs were ok.

One thing to think about, when you see one dog run out of bushes in front of you and cross the road, be prepared for another hidden one to follow. Or even some puppies. 

One dark night on an pitch black country road I turned a corner and was confronted with a huge white cow standing sideways on across the road, stock still, staring at me. Like a marble sculpture. Or a terrible ghost. Did it sh"" me up or what! 

PS - female dogs (I'll avoid the proper word in case) only come into heat at one time of year? ????

On 11/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

The car was probably driving slowly because the driver saw the dogs but you were too impatient and you overtook the car despite your own admission that it was dark and your view was impaired by the car. Then you try to divert the blame to the dogs owners for your poor judgement.

Is that match point?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I hope the dogs were ok.

He described the injuries he had, and I can only imagine the pain he went through, including first aid at a hospital, but you make jokes about him?

A classic case of ignorance. Ignoring others seems to be the way how some foreigners in LOS treat others. Aren't we all in the same boat? 
Have you ever had the "luck" to stay at a local hospital here?