Child with a thai woman??

lovethai123

On 11/5/2020 at 2:20 PM, lovethai123 said:

I have a few questions :-

1. Will the child be considered as illegitimate and looked down upon in the Thai society? 

2. Will the birth certificate of the child bear my name even if I am not legally married to his/her mother? Can the child have my last name? 

3. Will the child automatically have Thai nationality even though I am the father and not a permanent resident ? 

4. Will I be eligible for some kind of visa which allows me to visit Thailand whenever I want to meet my child? ( I don't want to live in Thailand)

5. Are schools where medium of instruction is English available across Thailand? If yes then what is the yearly expense. 

I'm father to a Thai child with my Thai girlfriend, we are not married.

Based on your questions I will recommend you to buy and read the book "The cure against THAILAND FEWER", which is written in both English and Thai – so your girlfriend can also learn about us weird Westerners – and the book is also translated to German, Dutch and Italien, if that's your native language. You can read more HERE.

No, half-foreign (farang) children – normally called Luk khrueng (Thai: ลูกครึ่ง), literally "half child" – is considered high status.

In Thai society you are considered "married" if you sleep together, paper registration or not. For many Thais the village marriage ceremony is more important than paper, and locally half a village village know about the marriage,they might even be guests at the party. Your girlfriend might at one point suggest a marriage ceremony, which might also avoid her family from loosing face, but it's not always the case. It has never been the case for me, and my girlfriend and I are highly respected by family and villagers, considered as a married couple.

Yes, the birth certificate will include your name as father, and the child can have your family name. For the latter you will need a certified translation to Thai of your passport's frontpage; i.e. the translation your family name is the important part, so check that it's pronounced correctly by a thai.

However, having your name on a child's birth certificate, and even the child having your family name, does not give you any parental rights, if not legally married to the mother. To have parental rights for a small child you'll need a DNA-test and court order (I'm not familiar with the procedure, it was never a question for me). If you wait till a child is sevens year old, or older, the child, the mother and you can confirm the father-ship at a district office – the amphor office, where ID-cards are issued – and an official document will be issued.

A child born by a Thai mother is a Thai citizen, and if born in Thailand the birth will/shall be registered within three days (if I remember right). The child will get a Thai ID-number on the birth certificate.

Depending of your nationality and rules in your home country, the child might/should be eligible for dual nationality, which is worth considering in longer terms for choice of high school and education. Also carrying your home country's passport might make travels abroad more easy, than using a Thai passport.

Yes, you will be eligible for a non-immigrant type O visa based on being father to a Thai child, and annual extension each for one year based on same. Conditions apply about financials and documentation. There should be some dedicated forum-threads about that.

Yes and no, it's depending of location, what level of schools might be available, and also the quality of available schools. A Thai governmental school is supposed to teach some level of English, but if in a rural village, it might be of limited value.

There are numerous so-called "English Program" (EP) or "Bi-lingual" private schools with a huge variation in costs and quality. The cheapest ones might be from a level around 40.000 baht a year, and the English might be taught by Philippine teachers, and therefore could be of limited value – some says it sounds like a Mexican trying to speak American – whilst the more expensive EP-schools might offer a full Cambridge curriculum and native English speaking teachers; however you will not get a Cambridge certificate. Typically around 120.000 to 150.000 baht a year for a good EP-school plus extras for uniforms, books, and excursions; which can be in the level of around 20,000 baht; furthermore eventually school bus, which cost is depending of distance and school bus contractor.

The Thai EP-schools will normally start with 3 levels of kindergarten (K1-K3) – K3 equals internationally Y1 – and six primary levels (P1-P6), equaling internationally Y2-Y7. Before starting in school, a nursery with little tuition in letters, including roman alphabet, and numbers might be a good choice; costs around 3,000 baht a month (including snacks and lunch) plus/minus.

A good EP-school should qualify for continuing in International School from Year 8 (Y8) up to for example IGCSE Cambridge-certificate at the end of Y11. That certificate gives access to higher levels like IB. International schools costs from about 250,000 baht a year – plus uniform, books, excursion(s) and eventually transportation – and up in the level of a million baht or more a year.

In my opinion – and experience, my daughter is 15 years old now – a good EP-school and continuing with internationally is equally good as starting with the more expensive international school, as the Cambridge tests and certificate is an expensive part, and that's not important up to P6-level. An EP-school will also include teaching in Thai language and culture, which are important when living in Thailand.

Bear in mind that the Thai school-year, including EP-schools, is different from international. Thai school year begins early May and ends medio March, so changing to international gives a long "summer holiday" from mid March to about September 1st.

Advice:

We are all different, and have different life styles, but when I planned/wished for an heir, I calculated that it would totally cost me around 5 million baht, including a reasonable level of school fees.

In my home country they count a similar amount as costs for a child – even reasonable good schools are free, and the government pays child support – by so far experience, it has been in that level.

9 years of K1-K3 and P1-P3 in a fair EP-school is around 1,300,000 baht, and 4 years in international Y8-Y11 adds up with 1,200,000 baht or more. Remaining 2 years with IB will be at least another 500,000 baht; so school costs alone is about 3 million baht without choosing the best, which could be from 7.5 million baht and up to more than 10 million baht.

The remaining 2 million baht are easily spend on extra livings costs for a baby-child-teenager; i.e. in average 100.000 baht a year – just wait till they want brand name clothes, and MacBook, and iPod, and iPad, and iPhone; you end up with an iPay...:whistling:

But as I say, we are all different in life-style, but expect the there will be some level of costs, being a good father and provider...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 2:39 AM, lovethai123 said:

I did not have anyone to discuss. I came here because this seems to be a nice community and I was seeking advice. What is wrong in that?

A lot of fathers live in a different country. But since that is not best way to raise a child I have dropped this plan and I will think something else. 

Go have a look at the local pub, maybe come up with some better ideas. 

4 hours ago, micmichd said:

You have to be 100pct sure that you will have a reliable income for at least the next 18 years. Are you sure you can't fail? 

noone can gaurantee but still people have kids, dont they.. even the motodops in combodia have kids. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

noone can gaurantee but still people have kids, dont they.. even the motodops in combodia have kids. 

With your attitude, vision and mentality about other people I think you are not fit for a relation or being a father. Should stick to bars, lots'a beer, free talk and maybe ,not so free, girls........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rumak said:

that advice has been given to  thousands of guys who are with the wrong woman. ......

free advice !      but still nobody ever takes it      lol

There are no wrong woman, only people not fitting together. 5555555

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, khunPer said:

thanks for the detailed reply. but i personally feel that the bilingual education is way more expensive over there. As a citizen of a former british colony ,English schools are available in every nook and corner in my country(quality of teachers vary) .English is sort of a second language over here.

I was thinking I would be eligible for some kind of long term visa to travel as i please , but thats nt the case and asking a father to  renew a visa every year is cruel and inhuman.

My child would be eligible for a small passport looking booklet which when presented along with the foreign passport ,allows him visa free entry and stay as long as he want in my country. But in case the child studies over here, the best schools would ask for fee payment in USD/EURO due to child's foreign nationality. 

There is another issue. if the child happens to have a  Epicanthic fold  {Mongoloid fold}, they would be considered as chinese and my country men are bunch of racists and he would never be accepted . He would probably never make any friends because of chinese type facial features. 

Seen this happening whenever my gf visits me. People ask if she is chinese and i can certainly feel the hatred. People around here know only a few races like  white , black and yellow.. and yellow people are bad as per them as they eat insects and lizards . This is the mindset around here

but i am different. i only get a hard on for a yellow girl or something related.

I don't find central asian ( uzbeks) sexually attractive and dnt get a hard on for them though many of my countrymen travel to thailand to hookup with uzbek woman in Bkk and pattaya as they think these girls are russians. ????????????

Edited by lovethai123
  • Confused 1

1. As soon having a child, your girlfriend will not be exactly the same as she is today, 96% sure.
  2. If wanting proper education in Thailand, you are looking at 20K up monthly costs just for that alone.
  3. Add another 10K a month if he is doing a sport as well for clothes, food and activities in general. 
  4. It is very unlikely you will legally get to say anything about your child, early on at least, if things go south.
  5. In terms of visa nothing is a guarantee, certainly not until the child is 7, you depend on her as much as with marriage visa.
  6. A visa would be cheaper to arrange without a child, what sick person takes a child just for that.
Edited by ChaiyaTH

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:
  1. As soon having a child, your girlfriend will not be exactly the same as she is today, 96% sure.
  2. If wanting proper education in Thailand, you are looking at 20K up monthly costs just for that alone.
  3. Add another 10K a month if he is doing a sport as well for clothes, food and activities in general. 
  4. It is very unlikely you will legally get to say anything about your child, early on at least, if things go south.

Thanks for reply. 

u misunderstood me for the visa part though. I had a small issue with immigration last year regarding which i created a topic. All details mentioned here. 

I was thinking once I have a child I will visit every month and that might be hard on a VOA /SETV?METV.

I had the impression that i should be able to get a long term visa which allows me to travel as i please. my country does something similar to relatives/descendants etc.. but it appears thais need to learn to be human first in regards to their visa policy.

One year visa for a father.. and next year they wud again want me to give an envelope for visa again. though i wont be living there. totally inhuman but thats what it is in countries like thailand 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Thanks for reply. 

And yes, you will always be somewhat of an outsider as a farang with a thai wife. You will get a lot of people thinking she must been in it for the money too etc.

People might disagree on me with that but then they are simply ignorant. Im not saying everyone is like that, but a big portion will be (even they keep that to themselves). The child will also be different as he looks different, easy as that, partly forcing you to take on a private school or better too. Unless you can live with yourself and send him trough public, knowing the outcome of that.

Last but not least you will most likely have to take all the responsibilities, if you walk, she ditches the child with parents, even worse for education outcome.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

And yes, you will always be somewhat of an outsider as a farang with a thai wife. You will get a lot of people thinking she must been in it for the money too etc.

I am not farang. I am a brown skinned chubby(fat?) and ugly asian man who loves to eat his curries.  so i suppose u know where i am coming from.  

In it for the money? well as per my research a lot of east european/latinas marry western men. They are in it for the money. 

Women are always in it for the money. I never saw a woman who is in it but there is no money. there may be exceptions but woman don't sleep with broke men. 

Again, the child will have a small passport styled booklet which allows visa free entry and stay for life in my home country. That is not a passport and must be used along with the passport from his country. If things go south I could always bring the child to be with me but as usual thai paperwork is scary

Edited by lovethai123
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lovethai123 said:

I am not farang. I am a brown skinned chubby(fat?) and ugly asian man who loves to eat his curries.  so i suppose u know where i am coming from.  

In it for the money? well as per my research a lot of east european/latinas marry western men. They are in it for the money. 

Women are always in it for the money. I never saw a woman who is in it but there is no money. there may be exceptions but woman don't sleep with broke men. 

That is not the point, it is not about the woman being in it for the money, it is about how people pre judge you. Anyway, I would think this is a very bad idea ???? Love my son but would never do it again, knowing what I know today.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Based on your questions I will recommend you to buy and read the book "The cure against THAILAND FEWER", which is written in both English and Thai – so your girlfriend can also learn about us weird Westerners – and the book is also translated to German, Dutch and Italien, if that's your native language. You can read more HERE.

No, half-foreign (farang) children – normally called Luk khrueng (Thai: ลูกครึ่ง), literally "half child" – is considered high status.

In Thai society you are considered "married" if you sleep together, paper registration or not. For many Thais the village marriage ceremony is more important than paper, and locally half a village village know about the marriage,they might even be guests at the party. Your girlfriend might at one point suggest a marriage ceremony, which might also avoid her family from loosing face, but it's not always the case. It has never been the case for me, and my girlfriend and I are highly respected by family and villagers, considered as a married couple.

Yes, the birth certificate will include your name as father, and the child can have your family name. For the latter you will need a certified translation to Thai of your passport's frontpage; i.e. the translation your family name is the important part, so check that it's pronounced correctly by a thai.

However, having your name on a child's birth certificate, and even the child having your family name, does not give you any parental rights, if not legally married to the mother. To have parental rights for a small child you'll need a DNA-test and court order (I'm not familiar with the procedure, it was never a question for me). If you wait till a child is sevens year old, or older, the child, the mother and you can confirm the father-ship at a district office – the amphor office, where ID-cards are issued – and an official document will be issued.

A child born by a Thai mother is a Thai citizen, and if born in Thailand the birth will/shall be registered within three days (if I remember right). The child will get a Thai ID-number on the birth certificate.

Depending of your nationality and rules in your home country, the child might/should be eligible for dual nationality, which is worth considering in longer terms for choice of high school and education. Also carrying your home country's passport might make travels abroad more easy, than using a Thai passport.

Yes, you will be eligible for a non-immigrant type O visa based on being father to a Thai child, and annual extension each for one year based on same. Conditions apply about financials and documentation. There should be some dedicated forum-threads about that.

Yes and no, it's depending of location, what level of schools might be available, and also the quality of available schools. A Thai governmental school is supposed to teach some level of English, but if in a rural village, it might be of limited value.

There are numerous so-called "English Program" (EP) or "Bi-lingual" private schools with a huge variation in costs and quality. The cheapest ones might be from a level around 40.000 baht a year, and the English might be taught by Philippine teachers, and therefore could be of limited value – some says it sounds like a Mexican trying to speak American – whilst the more expensive EP-schools might offer a full Cambridge curriculum and native English speaking teachers; however you will not get a Cambridge certificate. Typically around 120.000 to 150.000 baht a year for a good EP-school plus extras for uniforms, books, and excursions; which can be in the level of around 20,000 baht; furthermore eventually school bus, which cost is depending of distance and school bus contractor.

The Thai EP-schools will normally start with 3 levels of kindergarten (K1-K3) – K3 equals internationally Y1 – and six primary levels (P1-P6), equaling internationally Y2-Y7. Before starting in school, a nursery with little tuition in letters, including roman alphabet, and numbers might be a good choice; costs around 3,000 baht a month (including snacks and lunch) plus/minus.

A good EP-school should qualify for continuing in International School from Year 8 (Y8) up to for example IGCSE Cambridge-certificate at the end of Y11. That certificate gives access to higher levels like IB. International schools costs from about 250,000 baht a year – plus uniform, books, excursion(s) and eventually transportation – and up in the level of a million baht or more a year.

In my opinion – and experience, my daughter is 15 years old now – a good EP-school and continuing with internationally is equally good as starting with the more expensive international school, as the Cambridge tests and certificate is an expensive part, and that's not important up to P6-level. An EP-school will also include teaching in Thai language and culture, which are important when living in Thailand.

Bear in mind that the Thai school-year, including EP-schools, is different from international. Thai school year begins early May and ends medio March, so changing to international gives a long "summer holiday" from mid March to about September 1st.

Advice:

We are all different, and have different life styles, but when I planned/wished for an heir, I calculated that it would totally cost me around 5 million baht, including a reasonable level of school fees.

In my home country they count a similar amount as costs for a child – even reasonable good schools are free, and the government pays child support – by so far experience, it has been in that level.

9 years of K1-K3 and P1-P3 in a fair EP-school is around 1,300,000 baht, and 4 years in international Y8-Y11 adds up with 1,200,000 baht or more. Remaining 2 years with IB will be at least another 500,000 baht; so school costs alone is about 3 million baht without choosing the best, which could be from 7.5 million baht and up to more than 10 million baht.

The remaining 2 million baht are easily spend on extra livings costs for a baby-child-teenager; i.e. in average 100.000 baht a year – just wait till they want brand name clothes, and MacBook, and iPod, and iPad, and iPhone; you end up with an iPay...:whistling:

But as I say, we are all different in life-style, but expect the there will be some level of costs, being a good father and provider...????

sorry,  i did not read all of your post .   getting a bit lazy .   I agree that a luk krung is usually not looked down upon ( mine never was).      I see that  lovethai is online so let me ask 

didn't you say your girl works in a bar ?   

10 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I think 'she's in it for the money' with all married men.

That's why women marry.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

sorry,  i did not read all of your post .   getting a bit lazy .   I agree that a luk krung is usually not looked down upon ( mine never was).      I see that  lovethai is online so let me ask 

She worked for a bit. That is where I met her and yes i paid her the first time. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think 'she's in it for the money' with all married men.

That's why women marry.

If you understood a bit of Thai culture by now, in depth, you understand perfectly well what I mean with this. Even if a Thai guy does the same, he will look better than us.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you understood a bit of Thai culture by now, in depth, you understand perfectly well what I mean with this. Even if a Thai guy does the same, he will look better than us.

Do thai men have money?  The ones with money I know are descendants of chinese migrants. The real thais envy them. but there is a theory that there is no real thai. They all migrated from china during different periods. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, lovethai123 said:
Just now, rumak said:

She worked for a bit. That is where I met her and yes i paid her the first time.

the problem with posts like this is sometimes they just seem absurd.    you "seem" like an ok guy,

but you are fat,  and  basically have a bar girl  that you imagine wants to have a baby with you.

get in shape,  grasp reality,  and  start over.     funny how many nice guys on here are trying to give you some advice.    Thaivisa......   always a surprise

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

The only one I didn't pay the first time, cost me 650,000 pounds as she left (plus 30 years running expenses).

I gotta say, I prefer the ones I pay, no anxiety at the start of the meeting ..... will she, won't she ....... of course she will.

is't it the reason places like thailand, vietnam , cambodia are always full of lonely men. needs of both parties are fulfilled. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

the problem with posts like this is sometimes they just seem absurd.    you "seem" like an ok guy,

but you are fat,  and  basically have a bar girl  that you imagine wants to have a baby with you.

get in shape,  grasp reality,  and  start over.     funny how many nice guys on here are trying to give you some advice.    Thaivisa......   always a surprise

i came clearly this time. I framed questions and expected answers. 

Edited by lovethai123

On 11/5/2020 at 8:41 PM, Lacessit said:

Your child will be "luk krueng" ( half Thai ) and hence looked down on by all Thais. Unless you are going to bring the child up outside Thailand, forget it.

Not really. I have 3 and the last one almost 18. Maybe in the kindergarten and P 1,2,3,4 they might get some flack or hear something from a rude kid who obviously learnt that from his parents or a friends who learned it from their parents, but in general they are accepted just like any other kid. Not saying there isn't a difference but not looked down at.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 1:41 PM, Lacessit said:

Your child will be "luk krueng" ( half Thai ) and hence looked down on by all Thais. Unless you are going to bring the child up outside Thailand, forget it.

This is so untrue, I don't know who told you this, or how you made this assumption. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

is't it the reason places like thailand, vietnam , cambodia are always full of lonely men. needs of both parties are fulfilled. 

I don't know, I was only ever lonely for around 6 months in my entire life.

I moved from home with mom & dad, to home with Brit wife, to home with Thai wife to home with Thai gf fairly effortlessly with very little slippage.

For a guy with a bit of money, the only real decisions, were which one to try next.

I've got choosing down to a science ..... under 35 years old, under 45Kg, and female from birth.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know, I was only ever lonely for around 6 months in my entire life.

I moved from home with mom, to home with Brit wife, to home with Thai wife to home with Thai gf fairly effortlessly with very little slippage.

you have a strong heart. its nt that easy for me to move on. 

Just now, spoon1967 said:

This is so untrue, I don't know who told you this, or how you made this assumption. 

Sorry Lace,   but gotta agree.     In many cases they are a "star".    the exception might be when the mother is obviously a bargirl , and in that case it really is the mother who is being gossiped about.