Trump takes fighting stance as election swings toward Biden

webfact

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Toomey is quite right wing. Why would he wabt to help realize policies that he doesn't agree with? 

Do I have to explain to you the concept of personal ambition among politicians?

Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin is the other guy.

I bet they will both go for it despite the gnashing teeth of Moscow Mitch.

5 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Do I have to explain to you the concept of personal ambition among politicians?

Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin is the other guy.

I bet they will both go for it despite the gnashing teeth of Moscow Mitch.

This is nuts. They live in Republican world. They're not going to abandon everything that entails to pussue policy goals they don't agree with. Those caricatures of politicians as people with no convictions at all is simplistic cynicism.

Edited by placeholder

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This is nuts. They live in Republican world. They're not going to abandon everything that entails to pussue policy goals they don't agree with. Those caricatures of politicians as people with no convictions at all is simplistic cynicism.

Don't explain it to me.  President-elect Biden is the one who needs to hear from you.

Biden eyes GOP candidates for Cabinet slots

Progressives fret as Joe Biden's transition team vets a handful of Republicans for his potential administration.

Joe Biden’s transition team is vetting a handful of Republicans for potential Cabinet positions — despite doubts it will win him new support from the right and the risk it will enrage the left.

Reaching across the aisle to pick senior members of his administration could shore up Biden's credentials as a unity candidate, a message he's made a cornerstone of his campaign. Past presidents including George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have all done the same.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/biden-transition-republican-cabinet-429972

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Don't explain it to me.  President-elect Biden is the one who needs to hear from you.

Biden eyes GOP candidates for Cabinet slots

Progressives fret as Joe Biden's transition team vets a handful of Republicans for his potential administration.

Joe Biden’s transition team is vetting a handful of Republicans for potential Cabinet positions — despite doubts it will win him new support from the right and the risk it will enrage the left.

Reaching across the aisle to pick senior members of his administration could shore up Biden's credentials as a unity candidate, a message he's made a cornerstone of his campaign. Past presidents including George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama have all done the same.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/20/biden-transition-republican-cabinet-429972

First off, he may be offering. That doesn't mean they'll be accepting. Maybe if there were Republicans who at least had a reputations for moderation. Not many of those in Congress. And of them, who would take the job. Susan Collins just won a tough election. Can you think of anyone else?

First off, he may be offering. That doesn't mean they'll be accepting. Maybe if there were Republicans who at least had a reputations for moderation. Not many of those in Congress. And of them, who would take the job. Susan Collins just won a tough election. Can you think of anyone else?

I think you are extraordinarily naive.  Toomey was a banker.  You don't think he would like to be Secretary of the Treasury, a big ask I admit, but if it were worth control of the Senate Biden would give it to him.  Johnson was a businessman.  Imagine how enjoyable it would be for him to be Secretary of Commerce.  

Then for the rest of their lives they get addressed by everyone as "Mr. Secretary" instead of "Mr. Senator."

Unless they are facing some serious health problems, they would go for it.  In a heartbeat.  Susan Collins is another good idea.  Probably worth a discreet call from Biden's transition committee.  

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

John Kasich?

Just now, cmarshall said:

I think you are extraordinarily naive.  Toomey was a banker.  You don't think he would like to be Secretary of the Treasury, a big ask I admit, but if it were worth control of the Senate Biden would give it to him.  Johnson was a businessman.  Imagine how enjoyable it would be for him to be Secretary of Commerce.  

Then for the rest of their lives they get addressed by everyone as "Mr. Secretary" instead of "Mr. Senator."

Unless they are facing some serious health problems, they would go for it.  In a heartbeat.  Susan Collins is another good idea.  Probably worth a discreet call from Biden's transition committee.  

Do you understand that these departments carry out policies? And that those policies will be at great variance from what conservatives believe in? Why would these people want to tarnish their reputation with everyone in their social milieu. Or do you think it's feasible that Biden will appoint someone and let him or her enact policies that would enrage Democrats? It used to be that with figures like, say, Colin Powell, such appointments were possible. I don't think any such figures exist anymore.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

John Kasich?

John Kasich has a good image. But he's pretty much a hard right Republican in policies. It is true that he accepted Obamacare funded medicaid. But on most issues there's way too much distance between Democratic policy and where he stands.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

John Kasich has a good image. But he's pretty much a hard right Republican in policies. It is true that he accepted Obamacare funded medicaid. But on most issues there's way too much distance between Democratic policy and where he stands.

True. Yes he did expand ACA Medicaid in Ohio. I guess it depends on which office.

Assuming the Republicans control the senate Biden has no choice other than to try to work with some of them.

Edited by Jingthing

Do you understand that these departments carry out policies? And that those policies will be at great variance from what conservatives believe in? Why would these people want to tarnish their reputation with everyone in their social milieu. Or do you think it's feasible that Biden will appoint someone and let him or her enact policies that would enrage Democrats? It used to be that with figures like, say, Colin Powell, such appointments were possible. I don't think any such figures exist anymore.

You're a real hoot.  Do you think any of them is more loyal to any policy than to their ambition?  Powell is a good example.  A complete political hack.  Lied through his teeth to the UN and the American people to incite an illegal war that killed up to one million innocent Iraqis.  I certainly hope no such figures exist anymore, but I think the woods are full of them.  

Do you imagine for a minute that the doors of the country club will be shut to Secretary Toomey or Secretary Johnson?  

No point in arguing.  Stick a pin in it and let's revisit the discussion on Jan 20.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

John Kasich?

I don't think you caught the drift here.  The point is to entice a Republican senator from a state with a Democrat governor to resign his Senate seat in exchange for a Cabinet appointment so that the Democrat governor or, ideally, two Democrat governors can appoint Democrats to fill those Senate seats for two years giving the Dems control of the Senate with 50 seats.   Kasich is unemployed, so worthless for this plan.  Merely adding idle Republicans to the Cabinet is not going to inspire McConnell to yield an inch of the power he has.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

I don't think you caught the drift here.  The point is to entice a Republican senator from a state with a Democrat governor to resign his Senate seat in exchange for a Cabinet appointment so that the Democrat governor or, ideally, two Democrat governors can appoint Democrats to fill those Senate seats for two years giving the Dems control of the Senate with 50 seats.   Kasich is unemployed, so worthless for this plan.  Merely adding idle Republicans to the Cabinet is not going to inspire McConnell to yield an inch of the power he has.

Sorry I missed that.

10 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's over.  Let the prosecutions begin.

5fa482631df1d5001821931d.jpg

Sadly, with the GOP retaining the Senate, we get to watch a repeat of the obstruction of the Obama years. At least, Trump gains extra time to drop dead from his McDonald's addiction.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Sadly, with the GOP retaining the Senate, we get to watch a repeat of the obstruction of the Obama years. At least, Trump gains extra time to drop dead from his McDonald's addiction.

It is what it is. Of course, republicans will suddenly start caring about the deficit again which they only do when a Dem is president.  Bunker boy at least doubled it last time I checked.  It may be triple now.  They will try blame Biden for all that within about an hour of him being inaugurated.

Edited by shdmn

13 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Jeez Louise hw many links do you need? the  guy spouts lies and BS every day.

They are sheeple.  They never have and never will care about facts and reality when it doesn't suit them.  They live in a world if lies.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

And it won't stand why?

Even the Republican officials running the election process in Georgia and Philadelphia say there is zero evidence of anything untoward. No fraud. None.  45 lost. Plain and simple. Biden has received more votes that any American in history, and when all is said and done, he will have trounced 45 by between 5 and 7 million votes, a staggering popular vote defeat.

if you know something the people on the scene don't, I'm sure they would welcome your facts, if you have any facts.  Since it is doubtful you do, then perhaps you had better get used to calling Biden 'President Biden' (or 46 if you prefer) and Senator Harris, Madame Vice President.

It could quite likely be *President Harris* before the four years is up .

What fun thats going to be