Is TOT Going to Put Me In Jail?

Ebumbu

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not enough, as throwing away a device from somebody else is theft.  Which is a criminal offense.

No. He failed to return a device supplied under the contract. Therefore he is in breach of his contract which is a civil matter not a criminal matter.

• Like 1

My opinion is that since I'm in a foreign country when I know I've made a mistake I go in person, admit I was wrong, and offer to pay something. 

It's very likely they will settle for half the 7k if you offer that. You could just offer to pay for the router but not the service you never used; that's a reasonable stance. The key I think is being willing to compromise without displaying anger. 

The routers these companies provide are <deleted> that they pay a few hundred thb for but you aren't in a position to argue that. Tossing the router makes the situation untenable for you. 

Offer to settle, be nice and repentant for what you clearly did wrong, and chalk it up to a lesson learned. 

The brain damage and emotions of fighting it is just not worth the trouble. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 11:25 AM, Grumpy one said:

The 7 grand is probably the price of the router you tossed.

If so go and pay it and get it put to bed.

A router should only cost 2-3K baht, but the bean counters at TOT probably thought 7K was a reasonable ambit claim.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Throwing away the router makes it a criminal one.

It would be a misdemeanor at worst. You're making it sound as if the plod will be around to haul him off in handcuffs, it's drawing a long bow.

Easily settled by paying up or negotiation.

A Thai GF is handy in these situations, mine can get a lower price on anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swimfan said:

No. He failed to return a device supplied under the contract. Therefore he is in breach of his contract which is a civil matter not a criminal matter.

So if I rent a car then dispose of it instead of returning it, that's civil matter, given I had contract for rental of the car? Nevermind that I didn't pay the rental fee either.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ebumbu said:

I will probably go in to negotiate. I can't risk anything criminal. Maybe I can offer a used router of the same type that I get on Lazada or Facebook Marketplace and save cash. 

Don't buy anything yet. Maybe they don't even want it back. Just visit them over the bills, and negotiate settlement with them. But once you do, make sure you get from them in writing that all is settled and your account closed.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Ebumbu said:

Maybe I can offer a used router of the same type that I get on Lazada or Facebook Marketplace and save cash. 

Don't be daft. Just go in their office and settle it. No other way.

I have two old TOT routers in my drawer where the TOT engineer came out to upgrade the service over two previous periods and they didn't want the old routers back, said I could throw them away. TOT service has been very fair and cheapest for us. 500mbps/d/u for 590THB/m on fibre now.

• Like 1

if the router was thrown into a well, eaten by an alligator who couldn't breathe and attacked a submarine, causing it to sink and detonate the 10 nuclear bombs onboard.....well, maybe criminal.

dude, you are stressed about, but feeling better after posting here...i think

7000 is not fun.  no, not fun.  bad.  3000 ok for the router.  so it's like 4000 out the window.   but 4000 to sleep well and not worry 

probably worth it

On 11/11/2020 at 4:32 PM, Ebumbu said:

I will probably go in to negotiate. I can't risk anything criminal. Maybe I can offer a used router of the same type that I get on Lazada or Facebook Marketplace and save cash. 

They never asked back for mine, and I paid only 10 Baht installation, and 15 days of service.

I think in the contract is also written that you lease the router, and become owner at the end of the initial contract

• Like 1