Airbnb: Thailand Geared up for Digital Nomads and Work-Cations

webfact

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

wherever the platform is used it has caused problems (except for those who have profited turning residential locales into hotels), Thailand was right to ban them except for home rental, trouble is this illegal rental plague has decimated the hotel industry ( well prior to covid). If and when life returns to normality the government would be well served in a strict enforcement policy to eradicate these vultures. Hotels with license pay taxes while those profiting from this illegal business evade taxes.. 

Lots of hotels without licenses and dont pay taxes in Thailand

14 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

That is not true. I'm on a digital nomad group for people from my home country and just in the last few days I've heard a dozen people ask about entry requirements to Thailand. Digital nomads is just about the only group of tourists (because that's what they are essentially) who is willing to travel even with such severe restrictions. Unfortunately few of them meet the 6-months in bank account criteria.

Maybe a career change is in order or ask your mom to deposit 500k in the bank account. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

wherever the platform is used it has caused problems (except for those who have profited turning residential locales into hotels), Thailand was right to ban them except for home rental, trouble is this illegal rental plague has decimated the hotel industry ( well prior to covid). If and when life returns to normality the government would be well served in a strict enforcement policy to eradicate these vultures. Hotels with license pay taxes while those profiting from this illegal business evade taxes.. 

I love being an air bnb host ????

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, my experience with renting a small house through AirBnb was (in terms of fees) more expensive than renting through a mainstream agent.

Plus little did I know that after confirming/agreeing the dates and rental costs I would be hit with:

- A further substantial cleaning fee

- Numerous rules including; 'don't touch/leave fingerprint marks  on any work surfaces, wipe down the front door outside and inside and ensure there are zero finger marks/prints on the door, same for the outside key box, wash and dry and put away all cooking utensils, plates. cutlery etc., completely clean the shower glass walls and door, note that the cleaning supplies (liquids and clothes) will be checked after you leave and a charge will be deducted using your credit card details for whatever has been used', and more.

Plus a couple of days after making the booking I got an e.mail from the local AirBnb hostess with a short video welcoming me to the area and strongly suggesting I patronize a restaurant about 3 km from the rented house, because the restaurant was owned by her sister. 

15 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Immigration officials made it clear on numerous occasions that they have no intention of going after digital nomads, and it would indeed be insane for them to do so - you're talking about people who are spending a lot of money creating jobs for Thais, while not taking up a local job themselves. Net benefit for Thailand.

Thailand should however create an actual visa for this, instead of having digital nomads live in constant uncertainty about their status. Especially now that tourism is dead and the only ones considering coming to Thailand are long-stayers. Every one of those digital nomads will bring Thailand more revenue than an entire group of short-term tourists, with less infection risk.

"Immigration officials made it clear on numerous occasions that they have no intention of going after digital nomads, and it would indeed be insane for them to do so ..."

- Legally/illegally working in Thailand comes under the Labour Ministry, not immigration.

"you're talking about people who are spending a lot of money creating jobs for Thais, while not taking up a local job themselves. Net benefit for Thailand."

- Nomads spending a lot of money - how's that?

- Creating jobs for Thais - how's that?

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further, my experience with renting a small house through AirBnb was (in terms of fees) more expensive than renting through a mainstream agent.

Plus little did I know that after confirming/agreeing the dates and rental costs I would be hit with:

- A further substantial cleaning fee

- Numerous rules including; 'don't touch/leave fingerprint marks  on any work surfaces, wipe down the front door outside and inside and ensure there are zero finger marks/prints on the door, same for the outside key box, completely clean the shower glass walls and door, note that the cleaning supplies (liquids and clothes) will be checked after you leave and a charge will be deducted using your credit card details for whatever has been used', and more.

Plus a couple of days after making the booking I got an e.mail from the local AirBnb hostess with  a video welcoming me to the area and strongly suggesting I patronize a restaurant about 3 km from the rented house, because the restaurant was owned by her sister. 

The cleaning fee should have be visible upon booking as additional cost, some charge extra some dont and the rest of it was in the house rules Im guessing, they cant come along after you have booked my argument would have been, Why am I paying a cleaning fee? One or the other

complete twad again from twad control.nomads arnt welcome,no ones welcome especially people with valid rtd visas ,homes and families unlike a large no of places in the world,airbnb is illegal in most of its forms and nomads,theres no dispensation for them,some places the nets rocky especially hotels and friendly locals,well in a lot of places theyll shop u when they nose about into your personal life,jonnys foreigners working ere lock him up waaaaaah is the call.reap what you sow.not everyones like that but it only takes one and then theres the authorities.they constantly miss the point in their quest to purge the nation of the evil foreign stain but theyve all gone now and.......

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

The cleaning fee should have be visible upon booking as additional cost, some charge extra some dont and the rest of it was in the house rules Im guessing, they cant come along after you have booked my argument would have been, Why am I paying a cleaning fee? One or the other

Well said. Sure every hotel/house owner is entitled to have some 'house rules', but surely not to the point where the customer feels unwelcome, even intimidated.

I did take up the 'after the event' expensive cleaning charges with the national office of AirBnb, they weren't really interested but did say they would refer my comments to the house owner and request the house owner to comment. Never any comment.

Ultimately we had to change our plans and we cancelled 7 days before the arrival date. The houseowner confirmed our cancellation and added 'no refund'.

I responded asking for the cleaning fee to be cancelled. The house owner responded 'no refund'.

Bottom line, we will never book AirBnb again. A search of the various hotel amalgamation sites usually comes up with some good options at cheap rates. 

In other news:

Thailand National Weather Service: "extreme drought, empty irrigation canals, and no projected rainfall for months to come. Minister says national food shortages anticipated "

Thailand Ministry of Agriculture : "Government building new silos in anticipation of bumper rice crops throughout Thailand with record high rice exports enriching Thai farmers. Best year ever Minister says" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

I love being an air bnb host ????

Do you agree with home owners creating rules which make the customer feel unwelcome and overwhelmed with a list of rules/don't touch items etc., which mean the customer can't relax? And do you suggest the customer uses restaurants 2 or 3 km away owned by your family?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Thailand was right to ban them except for home rental,

Where would you approve of the use of Airbnb?     Any place?    Country?

Or are you just opposed to the basic concept of Airbnb?

Edited by Andy from Kent

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

AIRBNB should be blocked 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Don't forget about the thousands of unlicensed hotels already operating here which the government recently gave an amnesty to, those 'vultures' have been here a lot longer than this website.

This article is ridiculous, there is a freelancer visa coming next month from the Board of Investment, which would allow remote workers & digital nomads to live and work here legally (currently there is no law to regulate this industry.) However, there is no demand for foreigners to come here yet... the entry requirements are far too onerous and renting a place under 30 days is illegal.  

This bit in particular tickled me;

87% Of Thai people found work-cations appealing, then it starts talking about digital nomads! Would it not be better to talk about which percentage of digital nomads/remote workers found it appealing to come to Thailand? 

This looks like it was supposed to be targeted to Thai people doing work-cations around the Kingdom given the article beginning and then cut and pasted the bulk of the rest of the article from one that targets people coming from overseas to do work-cations with no regard to the current problems exiting and re-entering the Kingdom.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:
Airbnb: Thailand Geared up for Digital Nomads and Work-Cations
Five reasons why Thailand is a preferred destination for living and working anywhere

Thailand-Geared-up-for-Digital-Nomads-and-Work-Cations_m.jpg

Bangkok, Thailand, 11 November 2020 - As travel sees a comeback across Thailand in the new normal, Airbnb sees an emerging trend to extended work-cations around Thailand as people look to combine work, travel and living. 

According to a recent YouGov survey commissioned by Airbnb 87% of Thai people found an extended work-cation appealing. With an increased desire and ability to work from anywhere, Airbnb share five reasons why Thailand is a preferred destination for digital nomads.

1) Diverse locales
Whether you prefer mountains or beaches, cities or off-the-beaten-path destinations, Thailand can cater to all types of work-cation. The cool and mountains of the north, the history of the central plains and the world-class beaches on the Andaman and Gulf coasts, the options for an inspiring work-cation are limited only by your own imagination.

2) You’ll never go hungry
Thailand is famous for its cuisine and dining out is a part of daily life. You don’t have to be in the heart of a city to find great food options, the quietest rural neighbourhood can spring a food surprise and with street vendors ubiquitous the food options are endless. If you want to take your work-cation to the next level and learn how to cook, then take advantage of some great Airbnb Cooking Experiences.

3) Culture immersion and new experiences
Thailand is a land of diversity and from one destination to the next, cultural nuances abound. These can manifest in local dialects, beliefs and even cuisine! From reefs to rainforests to national parks and mountains, Thailand’s natural gems are complemented by the hospitality of local communities, their handicrafts and local way of life. These regional highlights are what makes a work-cation in Thailand so exciting; being able to combine work and travel with new experiences in vibrant local communities can be food for the brain and inspiration for the mind.

4) Connectivity
Thailand has fast and reliable wifi coverage throughout the country making the opportunity to work from anywhere, real. All you need is a laptop and you can connect with anyone, anywhere in the world at any time through Thailand’s omnipresent wifi. 

Thailand also has impressive transport facilities - domestic flights, interprovincial rail and bus, and an extensive road network - making it easy to get around in the country and to explore new areas anytime from your work-cation base.

5) Location, location, location
Thailand’s recently launched Special Tourist Visa is the first step in re-opening the country and attracting long stay international travellers. A well connected aviation hub with more than four billion people living within a 6-hour flight, the country’s central location makes it easily accessible and a popular destination for digital nomads. Its proximity to regional business centres means short business trips are easy; leave your Airbnb in the morning and be back in time for an evening swim and sundowners.

An established tourism destination that welcomed almost 40 million international visitors in 2019, Thailand remains popular with long-term visitors. And as the region starts to reopen borders, Thailand is well positioned to become the destination of choice for work-cations.

-- 2020-11-11

Dirty AIRBNB trying to.get in. These rats gave me nightmares at all 3 of my condos. Just scum no respect. Iblosted my cool and knockedmput 1 German iced. Lucky l had self defense aligned. Go to hotel and f off

• Like 1