Korean soldier tests positive for Covid-19 on return from Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How can you possibly think, given all the regulations in place that in effect prevent tourism, th

Domestic political concerns, certainly a driving factor. Tourism - no.

You are probably correct that domestic concerns figure high in the Government's concerns. I am amazed that the bulk of Thai people are taking covid19 seriously but still they don't wear crash helmets. Nearly as many people die on the road every day as have died from covid19 over the last 8 months!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'spent almost a month in Thailand'

'whether the soldier caught the virus in Thailand or before he left his own country'

Well he must have gone through two tests . One before boarding the plane in Korea and again in Thailand, so what's going on.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

My partner and I were both ill with symptoms like Covid. We had a fever, aching muscles, sore throat, and felt weak and tired. Thought we were getting a bad cold, but never got any congestion or runny nose etc.  

We have not been out of Thailand for over a year so could not have got it from anywhere but inside Thailand. 

We did not go for testing for the reasons you mention above. We did not want to be locked up and pay out lots of money. Also we would have to find someone to take care of our farm and dogs...which would be difficult too.

As we never got tested we can't say for sure what it was, but I have never been ill with symptoms like that my entire life before. 

We know many Thai friends who also had similar symptoms...they did not get tested because they could not afford to be out of work, or leave their families. 

I read somewhere where 80% of covid cases do not have runny nose.   I flew through  Shanghai dec 26 to bkk, first time through  Shanghai but they had temperature cameras set up and it was chaotic in the transfer area which seemed like all the staff was trying to figure stuff out..  foriegn people were being separated  from Chinese. I got real sick January 2-7.   I even made a real time thread about this because I was asking if I should pop open  my Z-Pack i travel with.   I did have this real odd dry cough .  Just had to cough.. but also nearly choked on phelm some of the days.  It was all I could do tqo keep my airway open.  I got a great ab workout.  I did stick to myself but we did travel to Issan. I could see how some could die from what I had.  I dont know what I had as runny nose not  so common.. Somehow GF didn't get sick.  Thai are hardy.  If antibody tests were widely  available and accurate I would have got one.   Unrelated , I did get a free test a few days ago,  I feel fine just trying to do my part to help isolate and stop our  increasing covid case numbers here in Utah. They said results emailed to me in 3-5 days.  How would anyone get a covid test result  that was within 72 hours of travel time?  On a side  note I read it could take  3 months just to vaccinate all the Healthcare workers.  Then they said prisoners are higher on the list than us Joe blows.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Comon ppl. Covid is rampant. Thai gov is lying and makig it near impossible for tourists to visit to keep it hush hush. My whole family wad a sick as hell recently. Same symptoms and thought we were going to die but pulled through. Never tested. Who knows!?!?

Question is: why didn't you get tested???????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

The sense you mention is quite common but that does NOT make it true! Random testing depends on how many people and their locations. Given that those who turn out to be negative (a lot more than 99%) in this country with such an idea, the chances of finding anyone who is infected or even asymptomatic is very unlikely and for all I know, that maybe the reason random testing is not done.

You don't know from evidence what the Thai government wants: it is your opinion, not a fact!

And you accused him of making suppositions!!!

19 minutes ago, ogb said:

Might increase as the weather gets colder (that's what happened in USA & Europe)

But in Thailand the "cold" weather is pleasant and does not lead people to stay indoors more, quite the contrary.

It is the rainy season that tends to make people be indoors more. Which is why rainy season is the peak influenza season here.

I don't think weather is a risk factor. The risks for Thailand are from the  re-opening of bars etc especially in Bangkok (allowing amplified transmission of whatever degree of infection was still present in the population) and cross-border entry esp from Myanmar (even though border officially closed).

Given the cultural tendencies (wai instead of hand shaking, generally not demonstrative in public, tending to hold religious festivals and other large gatherings out of doors, Muslim areas excepted etc) I don't see much risk for widespread exponential increases here, but we could certainly start to see a bit more local transmission.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, ThailandRyan said:

These Thai health authorities just do not want to admit it is in the country. 

Nothing like a bit of selective memory.

The Rayong City Municipality has on Tuesday ordered the closure of six schools and two nurseries for precaution. Thai media have been reporting the closure of 11 schools but calls to the municipality by Thai Enquirer confirmed eight.

According to sources within the Ministry of Public Health, the CCSA is considering imposing a full city-wide quarantine in Rayong and restricting travel to and from the province should there be additional cases of coronavirus.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/15536/thailand-discovers-seven-more-cases-of-coronavirus-but-all-eyes-are-on-rayong/

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

yes.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1191571-hungarian-envoy-caught-covid-during-infected-foreign-minister’s-bangkok-visit/?tab=comments#comment-15990391

There is also related coverage in the Cambodian sub-forum as this same foreign Minister visited Cambodia and infected several Cambodian govt officials while there

• Like 2

Again. Other countries only seem to be able to find Thai covid. The Thais don't test. And don't find any. 

And so many Westerners believing that Thailand (Thailand, of all places!) has magically figured out how to keep covid under control - shows just how stupid and gullible so many Westerners are, despite our relative wealth. 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Again. Other countries only seem to be able to find Thai covid. The Thais don't test. And don't find any. 

And so many Westerners believing that Thailand (Thailand, of all places!) has magically figured out how to keep covid under control - shows just how stupid and gullible so many Westerners are, despite our relative wealth. 

Even the WHO says Thailand is the greatest at keeping Covid-19 hidden at bay

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Elkski said:

If antibody tests were widely  available and accurate I would have got one. 

Went to my local lab a few days ago for a few routine tests and at the time enquired about availability of a Covid testing.

They did have a Covid antibody test available for 850 baht but couldnt do the here and now Covid test,that had to be done at an appointed hospital and only available if you had most of the classic symptoms.

The lab was part of the THONBURI lab group which is nationwide chain here in Thailand so antibody testing should now be within reach of most who want it.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:22 AM, bluesofa said:

'spent almost a month in Thailand'

'whether the soldier caught the virus in Thailand or before he left his own country'

Easy to blame his own country.  No tests ; no cases.  Keep believing your covid free fantasy land

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Percy P said:

Well he must have gone through two tests . One before boarding the plane in Korea and again in Thailand, so what's going on.

We all know. Covid must be already there.  Great campaign though. Covid free thailand.  If you dont test the general population then you dont have cases.  Period

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

102.2 F

You are right thank you I went here:https://www.translatorscafe.com/unit-converter/fr-FR/temperature-interval/3-2/degree centigrade-degree Celsius/

I tried again but still 39c = 72F  but of course YOU are right, it shows how many wrong answers one could find on the web ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andycoops said:

No in county testing so how the hell do tell how widespread it is, test, test, test.

All these months of no tourists and they could have tested millions by now but the cretins can't be arsed.

I suspect it's a 'cost too much' issue ..

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 4:13 PM, Sheryl said:

But in Thailand the "cold" weather is pleasant and does not lead people to stay indoors more, quite the contrary.

It is the rainy season that tends to make people be indoors more. Which is why rainy season is the peak influenza season here.

I don't think weather is a risk factor. The risks for Thailand are from the  re-opening of bars etc especially in Bangkok (allowing amplified transmission of whatever degree of infection was still present in the population) and cross-border entry esp from Myanmar (even though border officially closed).

Given the cultural tendencies (wai instead of hand shaking, generally not demonstrative in public, tending to hold religious festivals and other large gatherings out of doors, Muslim areas excepted etc) I don't see much risk for widespread exponential increases here, but we could certainly start to see a bit more local transmission.

I see risk in Air Conditioned , indoor , close places , specially with no external ventilation to reduce viral load such as offices , pubblic transportations , indoor shopping malls and shops , indoor entertainment places , et et

External Ventilation and masks are key to prevent infections . 

Most people in Thailand live outdoors . Bangkok people a bit less ...

13 hours ago, Marco100 said:

I see risk in Air Conditioned , indoor , close places , specially with no external ventilation to reduce viral load such as offices , pubblic transportations , indoor shopping malls and shops , indoor entertainment places , et et

External Ventilation and masks are key to prevent infections . 

Most people in Thailand live outdoors . Bangkok people a bit less ...

Yes, Indoor bars, clubs, karoake places etc are highest risk. So are churches/mosques and indoor sporting events. These are al situations where crowds are packed in tightly together and shouting/singing etc. Ideal for virus spread. If it were up to me I'd keep them closed until the pandemic has eased.   Malls etc are less so as people are not packed in so closely,  the space is large, and you don't have the shouting/singing factor.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:13 PM, sapson said:

Went to my local lab a few days ago for a few routine tests and at the time enquired about availability of a Covid testing.

They did have a Covid antibody test available for 850 baht but couldnt do the here and now Covid test,that had to be done at an appointed hospital and only available if you had most of the classic symptoms.

The lab was part of the THONBURI lab group which is nationwide chain here in Thailand so antibody testing should now be within reach of most who want it.

Antibody test is widely available; I had it. Note however that there are about 15% false negatives.

And also that antibodies don't remain detectable indefinitely.

So really of not much use for the general public. Can be useful in epidemiological investigations, though.