Unpopular Opinion: I appreciate the immigration policies here

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I applied for Thai citizenship in Dec 2017 and took the oath of Allegiance in July this year. It's much easier for me to get citizenship in Thailand, after they changed the law in 2008 for sexual equality. Also, cost me 5000 baht, much cheaper than other countries. 

Q? did you get PR 1st or applied directly for Citizenship? Asking because I am PR and considering applying for Citizenship but am not sure if I have to go again through the whole process or is it an ' update' to my actual status?????

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

Q? did you get PR 1st or applied directly for Citizenship? Asking because I am PR and considering applying for Citizenship but am not sure if I have to go again through the whole process or is it an ' update' to my actual status?????

I didn't need PR as I am married to a Thai.

31 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Asking because I am PR and considering applying for Citizenship but am not sure if I have to go again through the whole process or is it an ' update' to my actual status?????

It is almost the same as for people married to a Thai that don't have PR. A salary of 80k baht and etc is required.

20 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

True Steve

I also think it should be viewed on what progress that has been made over the years re the IO.

Not that long ago----

Leave the country every 90 days...not tap on the Computer or make a 10 minute visit to the IO

1 year Visa Leave the country--go to an embassy/Consulate outside and apply to come back to into Thailand (they didn't always say yes to 1 year, sometimes said 6 months only) Train/Bus overnight---I remember Georgetown  Consulate used to be a softer touch, but it got so swamped one time that the queue was right out into the street, you got a number to come back and queue the next day. So 2 days at hotel. Just love to hear from the posters on here how they live out of town a bit and have to come all the way in....really messes their day up --once a year.  

Spot on

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moogradod said:

Wow ! And I always thought Australians are strict. Not that it would matter for us here - in this respect you are right. But if you do compare things (which should be allowed without thinking something evil) then you naturally have to state the differences. In this regard it is relevant what happens elsewhere. Always nice to expand the horizon isn't it ? Thanks for the Australian insight.

It was more than 12 years ago and she managed to get a bridging visa due to a stuff up on her tourist visa.

I do accept that normally it wouldn’t be that easy we were just lucky particularly as the time on the bridging visa, nearly two years, counted to her getting the citizenship and passport so quickly.

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:
14 hours ago, AverageBloke said:

I've recently looked into permanent residency for my gf and I was also told that it would take 2 years. 

As far as I know it takes average 3-5 years ( mine 4 1/2 ) But you also have to realize you get a new ' under consideration extension' every 6 months free of cost during that period and no queues as separate counters.  

You need to have lived in Hong Kong for 7 years before you can get PR there.  That is 7 years with the correct visas and having paid tax. 
Fortunately for me I qualified whilst still only a young child.  Much harder to get now.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:12 PM, 2009 said:

Yeah, basically as the title says.

People think it is too strict. Having to renew the visa every year. Employment limited to a few jobs.

But really, their immigration policy has Thailand in mind. They do it cos it is best for their own country.

I wouldn't want to see Thailand become like some western countries. Recent events in France spring to mind.

I like Thailand the way it is and wouldn't want it to be overrun and changed by migrants.

Not that those types of migrants would come here anyway cos there is no social security, but still....I think it is worthwhile having an immigration like Thailand's. 

If it means I need to do an extension every year, so be it.

Yes,  I would generally agree with the policy spirit of protecting Thailand etc.

But from,  a customer point of view, and the content of many posts I've read on here. The detail of the implementation, is what has derailed a positive attitude! It  all seems to have intensified over the last few years;-

Inconsistent notional administration,

Insurance that does not insure.

Suggested corruption, ???? (absence of improving trend)

Financial requirements that change the emphasis of having sufficient money, to having money in Thailand. In many aspects that contrasts with the spirit of the policy and seems to anticipate people have a single objective of being in Thailand all the time (a lot do, but many do not). Also the financial requirements require a Thai Bank  account, which I understand can be less than straight forward now.

Also 2019 changes of available Visas in the UK (Had planned to try and acclimatise to being part time in Thailand, initially using the the non O ME. After planning for many years for that situation, Visa availability evaporated in less than 18 months of use..).

etc, etc.

So IMHO whilst the main subject of the post is quite agreeable ????.

The Devils are in the stability & detail , as it currently prevails (mainly from what I've read), does not seem to be promoting a positive atmosphere ????.

"People think it is to strict" I would more likely say from a user point of view "People think it is to risky and unpredictable, augmented by the exchange rate trend, as regards value". 

(So I'm probably glad that the Son decided to do High School, perhaps uni, in the UK, so perhaps I shall just wonder what things may be like in four years time?? though anticipation and preparation does not appear to help, from experience ????)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

If you are interested have a look at times quoted at the Immigration website. Happy for you, but not the same for us.

I guess times have changed. At least she can work and live there until is approved. I'm sure if people arrived in Thailand and could get a job immediately with no restrictions and did not need to go to Immigration regularly and queue up at the whim of Immigration officers half their age like they can once they apply for a visa In Australia, people would be happier with the Thai system. In Australia you don't even need to be married. My friend is getting a pr for his girlfriend- not even officially married. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Good point, hardly shining examples of multicultural and Covid success. 

Thanks, but it was actually a bad point having initially misread the post I was replying to which was actually talking about opening up more to business, not people. That said, there are pitfalls opening up too much to business too without the proper checks and balances and given the love affair with brown paper bags, can't say I'd be too confident the opening up would benefit all Thai people.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What was the question?

The question was: Do I have to go through the whole process again? i.e. Tax papers, Marriage Docs, Non Conviction,etc, or will it just be an update to PR; In other words National Anthem etc,Interview in Th already happened.... for PR.  

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Which question? ????

The question was: Do I have to go through the whole process again? i.e. Tax papers, Marriage Docs, Non Conviction,etc, or will it just be an update to PR; In other words National Anthem etc,Interview in Th already happened.... for PR.   And furthermore, if for some reason the Nationalization would not be accepted, can I also lose PR? 

11 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

The question was: Do I have to go through the whole process again? i.e. Tax papers, Marriage Docs, Non Conviction,etc, or will it just be an update to PR; In other words National Anthem etc,Interview in Th already happened.... for PR.   And furthermore, if for some reason the Nationalization would not be accepted, can I also lose PR? 

Not sure exactly what you mean. I suggest you ask here as there are some who went the PR then citizenship route. I went straight for citizenship. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure exactly what you mean. I suggest you ask here as there are some who went the PR then citizenship route. I went straight for citizenship. 

Thanks, and I think the question went into a wrong topic for some reason. I'll try to find out at IO. And update if I can come up with some info.

Just now, jomtienisgood said:

Thanks, and I think the question went into a wrong topic for some reason. I'll try to find out at IO. And update if I can come up with some info.

Not immigration -  the place to go is Special Branch police, near Siam Square