Unpopular Opinion: I appreciate the immigration policies here

14 hours ago, 2009 said:

I wouldn't want to see Thailand become like some western countries. Recent events in France spring to mind.

Maybe, but it should be more competitive with China, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia an VIETNAM.   Indonesia is targeted to be the second largest economy in Asia.  Many of us see that the humble Thais are falling behind, and their elites don't care.  Just this morning,  there was a petition signed by the German, British, American and Japanese Ambassadors to ask Thailand to open up.    Even back in the day when foreigners were passed out in the street, the country had hope. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Just this morning,  there was a petition signed by the German, British, American ...

Given the current situation in Europe and America why on earth would Thailand "open up" more than it already is?

• Like 1

Just now, Salerno said:

Given the current situation in Europe and America why on earth would Thailand "open up" more than it already is?

For better financial health of its people.   To stop jobs lost to more competitive neighbors.   Thailand is more special than Vietnam or Malaysia. It is not open, but the government windbags constantly talk about raising the capabilities of its work force.  Without the countries mentioned setting up here,  that will not happen.   They will set up in SE Asia.   It just won't be Thailand.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Without the countries mentioned setting up here,  that will not happen.

My apologies, misread it. I thought it was another "open the borders" post but rereading I see it was a business development post.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bangyai said:

Well, at least you dont have to have a bun in the oven.

Yes......it would be terrible lots of foreigners coming here unchecked having to be housed by the local authorities and being given social security payments by the Thai government. 

I think the laws should be more strict. No westerners except me and a few select friends. Pesky falangs cluttering up the place. The fewer the better.

You don't need to worry about other farang, just stay at home!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

From a retiree point of view, IMO once we have got to five years here with the required money in the bank and no trouble with the police, we should be granted a leave pass from all the paperwork. Show a bankbook once a year to demonstrate we are still solvent. It's not as if we are going to be running around stirring up trouble, we just want a quiet life.

Absolutely correct. My Thai wife got her Permanent Residency in Switzerland after 5 years. Took about 5 Minutes plus waiting some days for the plastic card. I think not even a bankbook should be required. Who cares how one makes a living as long as you are not breaking any laws - stealing, working etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Well, the teachers give added value to Thai society, retired peoples' added value is by bringing cash in

Both of which are a good thing, although, with the lack of fluency that I see amongst Thais, who have had many years of English classes, it’s hard(er) to quantify the added value from the teachers.  

Cash, from outside the economy is a no brainer, as it purchases goods and services from Thai owned businesses and pays rents to Thai landlords (mostly).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

90 Day reports (which I choose to do in person) 1-5 minutes depending on how many people in front at the drive-thru. 

You guys have a drive-thru down there?  Nice.  It’s an 800 baht round trip cab ride (or brave Bangkok traffic driving myself) to Changwattana for me.

Maybe Immigration could team up with foodpanda and do some kind of 90 day check in delivery service.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

However this is Thailand and where we chose to live and what happens in Australia or in your case Switzerland doesn’t really have any relevance.

True Steve

I also think it should be viewed on what progress that has been made over the years re the IO.

Not that long ago----

Leave the country every 90 days...not tap on the Computer or make a 10 minute visit to the IO

1 year Visa Leave the country--go to an embassy/Consulate outside and apply to come back to into Thailand (they didn't always say yes to 1 year, sometimes said 6 months only) Train/Bus overnight---I remember Georgetown  Consulate used to be a softer touch, but it got so swamped one time that the queue was right out into the street, you got a number to come back and queue the next day. So 2 days at hotel. Just love to hear from the posters on here how they live out of town a bit and have to come all the way in....really messes their day up --once a year.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Might appreciate the policies but it is not helping Thailand at all. Just to start with all the empty properties that never get filled up without foreigners.

People also seem to forget, that the financial requirements in western countries (who mid term also give you a passport and social securities if available in those countries), are much much lower compared to Thailand if looking at minimum wages. Not to forget, you would be allowed to do any business and job + own it.

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

To paraphrase a well-known God-poster > just an opinion...

< Hehe, insider joke ???? >

7 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Might appreciate the policies but it is not helping Thailand at all. Just to start with all the empty properties that never get filled up without foreigners.

People also seem to forget, that the financial requirements in western countries (who mid term also give you a passport and social securities if available in those countries), are much much lower compared to Thailand if looking at minimum wages. Not to forget, you would be allowed to do any business and job + own it.

In Britain you must earn  Stg 23,000 (851,000) a year before being allowed to live there.

The mysterious ''migrants'' came over during the 1940s to rebuild Britain.  They were already UK citizens.  Modern politicians now readily attack anyone with black or brown skin to win the white votes.

If you want to pretend you know what racism is, imagine you have lived in Thailand for 6 generations and that get called a foreigner and told to go home.  It doesn't work as a tourist saying you like immigration officers.

It's heart breaking to be told you don't belong somewhere when you have lived there for generations.

Edited by TLeaf
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

My Thai wife got her permanent residency, citizenship and passport in a little over two years in Australia.

However this is Thailand and where we chose to live and what happens in Australia or in your case Switzerland doesn’t really have any relevance.

Wow ! And I always thought Australians are strict. Not that it would matter for us here - in this respect you are right. But if you do compare things (which should be allowed without thinking something evil) then you naturally have to state the differences. In this regard it is relevant what happens elsewhere. Always nice to expand the horizon isn't it ? Thanks for the Australian insight.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2009 said:

Yeah, basically as the title says.

People think it is too strict. Having to renew the visa every year. Employment limited to a few jobs.

But really, their immigration policy has Thailand in mind. They do it cos it is best for their own country.

I wouldn't want to see Thailand become like some western countries. Recent events in France spring to mind.

I like Thailand the way it is and wouldn't want it to be overrun and changed by migrants.

Not that those types of migrants would come here anyway cos there is no social security, but still....I think it is worthwhile having an immigration like Thailand's. 

If it means I need to do an extension every year, so be it.

Bangkok would be a lot more fun with larger numbers of working expats, especially more Western women.  If this place was more like Hong Kong or Singapore in terms of expats everywhere it would be fabulous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

While it is up t Thailand, I think comparisons with other countries is valid.

It's easy to get a temporary visa to stay in Thailand, but difficult to get residency. It is the opposite in Australia. Hard (expensive) to get a temporary visa, but easy to get residency.

I think Thailand should offer an easier path to residency for foreigners who marry a Thai national and who live in Thailand.

As others have said, a Thai who has married an Australian, and who lives in Australia, will get permanent residency after 2 years.

She will get all the benefits from day one when her application is accepted over the counter (e.g. right to work, medical cover, can buy land etc) while waiting out the 2 years for residency. There is no language test for permanent residency. Citizenship (ability to get a passport) requires an additional few years residency in Australia and there is a written multiple choice test in English.

Thailand obviously wants foreigners who can contribute economically to Thailand as residents (e.g. minimum income retirements, tax returns, language tests etc) and who will bot be a burden to the government. I would submit that most 'retired' foreigners who are married to Thai nationals, and who have lived here more than a few years, have a private income and health insurance, and would not be a burden to the State.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2009 said:

They do it cos it is best for their own country.

Not sure about that. No foreign electrician, plumber and handyman in general will open a business in Thailand and bring new knowledge into the country. So it happens that the Thai constructors learn from their fathers, they from their fathers and so on. That´s by example the reason why many tilers never heard about a tile glue and put the tiles in concrete. No progress in the country.

When my Thai wife lived over 10 years in Germany, she got a 1 year visa first, then a 3 year visa and then an endless one. No stupid 90 days reports. She can buy land, work in every job, open her own business owned by her to 100%, etc. 

Germany and also other countries are developed countries because they allow influence and new ideas from outside (and yes, there are some problems with foreigners too). The bosses of the German company Biontech what found the covid vaccine are migrants from Turkey by example. They would have no chance in Thailand. Foreign professors are teaching at German universities, foreign scientists are working in German companies, many migrants are bringing the country forward. Thailand was a developing country 20 years ago and will be one in 20 years for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, fishtank said:

Thai Men have no problem living with their foreign wives.

Also pretty easy to get their Wife Thai citizenship.

Not the same for a Thai Woman. her Husband has to go through all kinds of hoops to enable her to live with him.

It would be nice for the Thai government to provide those of us who provide for Thai wives and family an official reason for what is really blatant discrimination.  Really.  Why the difference? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fishtank said:

I grudge having to have 400,000 in the bank when a foreign woman married to a Thai man has to have zero in the bank.

Shear discrimination.

How much money do you need to be married to an Australian male or Female and how often do you report to immigration while living in Australia , bearing in mind Australia has a strict immigration policy, then look at the Thai immigration laws, that should show how Thai rates internationally.

For somebody like me with money problem I only pay attention to end result--in short do I want to waste my time and money to be in a country  which clearly dont want me. Whereas China's visa for 10 years is already stump in passport. And Vietnam and Laos will be open in 2021. Universe do not depend on Thailand rules thats for sure.

• Confused 1