Thailand urged to open up to foreign skilled labour, cut red tape on foreign investment

webfact

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Vietnam has an advantage over Thailand as it has already joined the CPTPP, and has other free trade agreements with the European Union and US, he said.

This is a main factor as to why Vietnam is beginning to and will continue to outpace Thailand. I read an article the other day tat talked about the type of rice is the reason why. I think Thai's are looking at too small a picture here. It has less to do with what type of exports and more to do with ease of doing business and opportunities taken by other country's.

One of Thailand's greatest strength's, but also its main weakness is a sort of refusal to move ahead with the times. I blame this on the politicians who think that they only way to keep power is to continue to do things as they have always been - corruption and bureaucracy. I'm sure most international businesses in Thailand want things opened up and relaxed.

5 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

There are ways of starting a 100% foreign owned company. An aerospace based business would be foolish not to invest under BOI rules where 100% foreign ownership is allowed. 

Indeed, there are many advances happening right now, this being one, not in Thailand though :

image.png.24d82e78f1dc3acc6da3b74002a90c4e.png

image.png.ca9206a22ffa9b726bda980df20b79b3.png

14 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

He does not know that Xenophobia towards foreigners is a fixed part of thai culture by now ?

The average Thai is afraid of foreigners investing too much in Thailand , as this could mean that foreigners could gain some ' influence ' ...

Influential persons have to be thai only in Thailand .

Foreigners are welcome only if they spend a LOT of money here , and,  after this , leave .

Foreigners need to be surveyed all the time , they think , as they could do something Thais may not like .

For example being in a position , ( become the boss of an enterprise or company ) , where they could give orders to Thais .

For many ( freedom loving , 55 ) , Thais that is unthinkable .

Foreigners are " Aliens ' in this country and it will stay this way , even the government changes .

They do not have the same rights as Thais , and many Thais appreciate this .

People here think different from how people think in a more developed and civilized country .

That is part of their culture and will probably never change .

I would like that thai people who are living in or visiting a foreign country get exactly the same treatment as foreigners in Thailand .

It is true for most of them. But "never" is like "always"... it has a very limited life and does not really exist out of sciences and mathematics.

I'm French and my country is very open for foreigners who also touch money from government the easy way compared to any other countries. It is good for some of them, but this story time cost us a lot more than we can actually paid for (and we also have many problems with that). The impact there is the fascist idea to grow up for sure. In Thailand, with 7% of tax on enterprises and import fees a bit upper, they have a good (but limited) social system (but only for Thai people), far better than USA have for there own population. It is not so bad then...

I think that to care about the ability to have some foreigners who have a very different culture with a different approach to the law is also a good idea as it is realist.

Thai people are more tolerant with foreigners by the time, but there is some limits, for sure (and it is a good idea).

You can not pretend to understand and adopt new culture in one year, language is very different and also mind thinking linked with. You can also not force a citizen to adopt your own culture, it is not respectful and why this can be ? There is no reason for that i think.

There is a history, there is a culture, it is not really xenophobic, but yes, they scare a bit. Maybe they are scary by some foreigner comportment who are definitely wrong (much more in some well known places where alcohol excess consumed and ladies for sex and then... mafia is there to make money). I think you can understand also the history they had with foreigners.

I feel Thai people, for big majority of them, to be very welcoming with foreigners, not only for money (but to see them, you should leave the tourist area zone).

For my own experience in the north of Thailand (Loei), i see them to be very good with me and invite me when representative people was there. I had the honor to bring them with my "salenk" (kind of side bike with little motorcycle) to see the village. Same when someone from King familly personality was there. I felt very honored by this demonstrative gesture of recognition.

So definitely, i'm agree with you, only in tourists area, not in deep country side (because no one never ask me something and they really show me how good they can be), who is, for me, the real Thailand culture.

I love Thailand, they show me more recognition for who i am than my own country did (and zero relation with money there).

I told you my life experience with that, do your own...

Edited by jerolamo
  • Confused 1