HSBC UK mobile banking app how to add Thai mobile number

For my online HSBC UK banking I have one of those calculator-like password generators, a physical secure key.  I want to change to a digital secure key but that requires me to register my mobile phone number on my HSBC UK online banking account.  It won't let me.  It will only accept a UK number, I presume.  I've tried 00166 as a prefix and also +66 as a prefix  to no avail.  Has anybody succeeded in doing so, and if so how, please.

MODS:  I know it's banking, but it's UK banking.  But feel free to move.

I have a First Direct bank account which is part of the HSBC group. In the last few days my security number generating gizmo stopped working and I then looked to set up a DSK via the FD app. I had an issue because to set this up it appeared I needed to login, which I couldnt do without a security number.

So, I called their UK help desk and was ably assisted to set up a DSK via the app and also my registered email. Rather painless process and am now able to use the app and was advised just to ditch the old gizmo. 

Maybe the HSBC help desk could do the same for you, even if you only operate via online rather than an app.. 

I bought a uk sim card from Giff Gaff.When you need to you can put it in any phone and it should use the roaming feature.

Then that number will get through without using any prefix number, as if you were in the UK. The sim card is free but you have to put £10 credit on it.You just have to use it at least once every six months to maintain it.

• Thanks 1

Like dabhand, I have a First Direct account, and the secure number keypad packed up just before the covid crisis erupted worldwide so the replacement that they posted to me never arrived. Their helpline, excellent as always, took me through the process of  setting up the digital secure number generation system. This involved two passwords, one which registered my tablet as the device which I can use either to log on to my account with a second password, or to generate a secure number to log on to my pc. As I can do almost everything I need on the tablet I rarely bother to log on to the account on the pc any more.

I would expect HSBC to operate a similar system. You can't just set  it up online, you have to go through phone verification first.

Everybody,  thank you very much for your help.  So I've now got to charge and put lots of money in my mobile before I ring them.  I am OK at the moment in that my physical secure key works fine.  I only intend to use the app on my mobile to generate a code to use on my PC.  I find the mobile screen too small for comfortable use.

15 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I rarely bother to log on to the account on the pc any more.

I recently had a problem with paper statements with First Direct, quickly and efficiently resolved as usual by them, where they told me that they advise customers to log on to the main website at least once every 60 days.