registering a bike in my name but keeping the plate from another disctrict possible ?

BKK8

I am going to buy a bike that is registered in Bangkok and changing the ownership/title in Pattaya where i live at the moment and can get a residence certificate. Is it possible to keep the Bangkok plates because i like the letter/number combination ?

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Only if you transfer ownership at the Bangkok DLT, and for this you would need a certificate of residence from Bangkok immigration for an address in Bangkok.

If you do it at the Pattaya DLT you will get a Chonburi license plate.

I bought my Ducati in BKK but never had an address there, it has a BKK license plate. Somehow the dealer managed to register it there, not sure how ????

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I bought my Ducati in BKK but never had an address there, it has a BKK license plate. Somehow the dealer managed to register it there, not sure how ????

What did you use as proof of address? With a work permit or yellow house book it is maybe possible, with a certificate of residence it is afaik not possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BKK8 said:

I am going to buy a bike that is registered in Bangkok and changing the ownership/title in Pattaya where i live at the moment and can get a residence certificate. Is it possible to keep the Bangkok plates because i like the letter/number combination ?

Hi

i am in the process of doing this via an agent in BKK 

i live in Chiang Mai and have bought a bike with BKK plates 

my BKK agent assures me that they will retain my cherished number plate whilst transferring ownership to me up here.’there are some forms  to fill in ,including the power of attorney .

The  process starts in a few days so we shall see.

I also believe this is possible from a previous experience here.

better thro ‘an agent too .

try this yourself and it will as likely fail 

16 minutes ago, Enfield said:

Hi

i am in the process of doing this via an agent in BKK 

i live in Chiang Mai and have bought a bike with BKK plates 

my BKK agent assures me that they will retain my cherished number plate whilst transferring ownership to me up here.’there are some forms  to fill in ,including the power of attorney .

The  process starts in a few days so we shall see.

I also believe this is possible from a previous experience here.

better thro ‘an agent too .

try this yourself and it will as likely fail 

Correct. As a foreigner you must have a tabian from the province you reside in. But as you say an agent makes anything possible. Please get back to us on completion please 

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

What did you use as proof of address? With a work permit or yellow house book it is maybe possible, with a certificate of residence it is afaik not possible.

I've bought and sold motorbike with RC on a tourist visa.

6 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I think it only works for Bangkok. Transfer between two other provinces is more complicated for some reason.

• Like 1

Yes, it is possible. I only used my Thai drivers license and passport, no agent. I live in Loei Province and the tags are from Phuket. I have also renewed the yearly registration and tax certificate recently for an additional year in Loei Province and no mention was made of the tags. I asked about changing the tags to my current address from their Phuket origins and was told it was more difficult and would need to be done in the main office in Loei.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

I was still on a tourist visa back then and got a certificate of residence from Phuket immigration that the dealer in Phuket then forwarded to BKK. I've also talked to someone regarding number plates and they said BKK is a bit special in that regard. I didn't even ask to have a BKK plate, it just happened.