How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

38 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I think it's amazing thqt people that will not go when the price is 120 baht an hour but when they drop it to 80 baht an hour they do . It's !@#$%    $3 or €2.5 somebody has to work for that for 1 hour and people are still complaining and making 1 hand and phone jokes, i don't hope any of those cheap charly complainers ever come in that situation(or do i) 

Not sure what the relevance is of comparing this to foreign economy and currencies. Most jobs will only earn them 50-70 baht per hour, even after graduating. If they actually matched their business with proper adittude, knowledge and service, most Thais earned double already.

My wife can earn more working in the average spa than in the hospital, as a graduated fysio therapist, that says enough.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Just now, Wongkitlo said:

The problem with your thoughts is that they do not work all day. If they only have 1 or 2 massages a day how do they survive.

Which is their problem, by opening the same shop 10 times in one area. This is the same with almost any business in Thailand.

The lack of brains, innovation, proper service and pricing, is lacking. I have visited over 50 barbershops and still have to find one doing a good job for the money they ask, same story again. Coffeeshops too, endless.

A proper located, well serviced massage shop (of which I do know a few owners), the girls easily have 4-5 customers per day. Those generic massage ladies do not need to earn more than 300 baht, as that is what other people without education earn too.

• Like 1

Just some sort of communism style economy going on here, that should not be supported to continue at all. Providing everyone of a job and earning minimum wages and causing people to be lazy, not innovative, no competition, improvement, higher service levels etc. etc.

I mean it is all barbershops, massage shops, motorbike shop, pharmacies and 20 baht shops. There is very very little that actually is unique or different lol (and if it finally is, it is usually owned by farangs).

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Which is their problem, by opening the same shop 10 times in one area. This is the same with almost any business in Thailand.

The lack of brains, innovation, proper service and pricing, is lacking. I have visited over 50 barbershops and still have to find one doing a good job for the money they ask, same story again. Coffeeshops too, endless.

A proper located, well serviced massage shop (of which I do know a few owners), the girls easily have 4-5 customers per day. Those generic massage ladies do not need to earn more than 300 baht, as that is what other people without education earn too.

I dont think anyone is opening shops at the moment so I don't see any relevance. The post is are about how shops are doing during  Covid. No one is talking about a normal high season situation. I doubt any of them are getting 3 or 4 customers a day at present.

10 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I dont think anyone is opening shops at the moment so I don't see any relevance. The post is are about how shops are doing during  Covid. No one is talking about a normal high season situation. I doubt any of them are getting 3 or 4 customers a day at present.

You are actually quite wrong about that, there is many who did open new shops, some even relocated, but they are more quiet than ever. I know it might sound so evil and cruel but most of them just do not have brains.

In CM we had the mushroom wave of coffeeshops and now lately it is barbershops again (with fake gangster groups). Mentioning high season is actually the most irrelevant in this topic, as these shops mainly cater to locals (or should be doing so).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

And you seem not to understand what a quality haircut looks like.......... But again in Thailand you're looking at B800 - B1,500. Sorry.????

Come on no one is paying 800-1,500 baht in Pattaya for a hair cut, most haven't got much hair. My brother in law in UK who had little hair left used to pay £80+ for a haircut, eventually he woke up and switched to a barber for £10, looked exactly the same, it was all in his mind

• Haha 2

I'd say massage shops are down 80%.  almost every time I go, I'm the only person in the shop.  before, impossible.  

prices are the same, and they are super desperate for anything else.  one lady told me she had only water for weeks....then she said she's go to BKK with me.  so i said, ' well, just come to my room and we can eat'  which should not be scary if she wants to go to BKK with me.  so then she realized there's no money in that... lol.  i don't mind these games a few times a month...

the real problem is the quality, if that's what you want.  haven't seen a cute massage lady in soo long i almost forget what they look like.  so your only option is a real massage for 150 or 200 and give them a tip because i'm sure covid has hurt their business.  

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, NanLaew said:

I heard a couple of months back that the TQ on Beach was in a deep hole and struggling to keep the doors open. Anyone know if it's still struggling?

I also hear that at least a couple of beer bars on Soi 6 have ip cams set up where stuck-at-home punters can buy their favorite bar girls ladies drinks via the bars FaceBook page. Apparently it's 300 baht a pop and the girls seem to be doing OK. Not sure if it matters if the punter is in Northampton or Naklua either.

There are many more than a couple of bars live streaming now, some around the LK area as well.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Come on no one is paying 800-1,500 baht in Pattaya for a hair cut, most haven't got much hair. My brother in law in UK who had little hair left used to pay £80+ for a haircut, eventually he woke up and switched to a barber for £10, looked exactly the same, it was all in his mind

Quite right. Works in well with the brilliant "Bought me own clippers, sorted!" concept. Nor would the odd expat wish to admit here foolishly paying B300. But those shops must be closed, eh. And of course cuts from Royal Warrant holders to H.R.H., The Duke of Edinburgh, would look exactly the same as the free ones from a trainee at the London School of Barbering.

Now our highly efficient, no-nonsense members may well wish to acquire both a massage and a haircut during one outing, given that such shops may well be located within the same general area. So then: are the shops offering the cheapest haircuts to be had on Soi Buakhao still open? Any lowering of prices yet?

Edited by BigStar

14 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You are actually quite wrong about that, there is many who did open new shops, some even relocated, but they are more quiet than ever. I know it might sound so evil and cruel but most of them just do not have brains.

In CM we had the mushroom wave of coffeeshops and now lately it is barbershops again (with fake gangster groups). Mentioning high season is actually the most irrelevant in this topic, as these shops mainly cater to locals (or should be doing so).

What does Chiang Mai have to do with the post. This is the Pattaya forum. How can you know about  new massage shops opening in Pattaya if you are in Chiang Mai

• Like 1