Fog in Pattaya not related to PM2.5 air pollution

rooster59

4 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The fog was because of the recent rain. As it warmed up during the day, the water started evaporating - like it always does.

I went for a ride towards Rayong yesterday and the same misty fog could be seen rising out of the trees and fields that whole way there and back. Nothing at all to do with the pollution (which would have mostly been knocked out of the air by the rain - like it always is).

I would expect to see similar misty fog today as well.

Can also be caused by the water in the ocean? LA beaches get foggy this time of year but not because of rain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Card said:

It is pm 2.5. see AQI and Ventuski 

I might add that this agency benefits from good news on the pollution data. Before u start believing it, read this:

Edited by Rimmer
Link removed, sorry about that

8 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, it happens a lot when cooler air meets warmer waters and the evaporation condenses and becomes fog. Doesn't have to be that much cooler apparently, just enough to make the microscopic droplets condense. One article mentions a temperature difference of as little as 2.5 degrees between the "dew point" and the air temperature. Another says that fog will form with the air temperature is from 5-40 degrees cooler than the surface water temperature. 

LA has a massive smog problem though, even with all the pollution control regulations they've brought it (some of the strictest standards not just in the USA but in the world it seems). Add to that the warm water off the coast and cold air coming from (mainly) the north. 
I think the El Niño and La Niña cycles have an effect as well. 

What LA did you guys grow up in?  The water off the coast is never warm in Southern Cal.  Maybe for about 6 weeks in July-August.  And fog season is in the Spring and early Summer, not the winter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This makes sense as I've been doing a lot of exercise and felt no difference in my breathing

Please read up on the long term effects of air pollution. Much like smoking, all seems well short-term   but years down the road...

• Like 2

As I’ve worked and lived in Beijing for a couple of years so my NOSE tells me what is what.

I left Pattaya yesterday after a week there, and I know what coal fired power plants smell like.

While the lower wisps were fog, the big smell is real pollution, only to get worse as burning season starts in Cambodia.

31 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

As I’ve worked and lived in Beijing for a couple of years so my NOSE tells me what is what.

I left Pattaya yesterday after a week there, and I know what coal fired power plants smell like.

While the lower wisps were fog, the big smell is real pollution, only to get worse as burning season starts in Cambodia.

Much pollution in Nov also comes from the current sugar cane burning

AirVisual reports data from governmental and non-governmental monitors. All data are constantly monitored and validated by AirVisual cloud-based Artificial Intelligent (AI) system, which uses billions of air quality data points and pattern recognition to flag what it considers inappropriate.

Fog or pollution, choose who you wish to believe.

Air visual.jpg

Edited by FiveStarVagabond
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, condohope said:

My nose told me the mist was from burning and my terrace told me to hose it down and clean the furniture. You would not believe the black sod I cleaned off my car's windscreen. This in NaJomtien.

My sore throat and my runny nose since 2 days confirm your statement

I bet the officials don't want to ''perturb'' the domestic tourists migration

during this 4 days holidays

Next (fake) news

The road are safe !! You can travel without any worries

the only problems minors that could occur, like hypothetics accidents with injuries or deaths

are only due to the fact few people are not wearing enough amulets around the necks

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1