I'm sick of driving my pickup truck. Any ideas about what I should buy next?

bbabythai

2 hours ago, Dario said:

In that segment I would go for a secondhand Nissan Teana. All white inside. Wooden steering wheel. Pure luxury. You'll still keep lots of money in the bank. You never know when you'll need it badly ...

Most members here are heavy involved in farming.

100s of Rai rice fields,

Thousands of buffalos.

Min of 500 Rai fruit trees.

Better choose a darker inside not the white one.

1 hour ago, transam said:

If one has the cash and one wants an overpriced ride, I do not see that your comment is valid, plus I think you are making an assumption that folk buy expensive cars to drive up and down the high street looking for admiration, that's daft..

PS. If had the cash to spend, I would be driving a Merc.....????

I mate is selling his Merc.

2nd hand and only 35k miles.

Asking price 2,3 Million Baht.

Be quick.

5ACD0BD2-EDA6-446A-871A-DEA5563BD559_4_5005_c.jpeg

I think my assumption is largely correct, given the number of Range Rovers driven in London that will never see a country lane. My main point however is that it’s pretty dumb to spend 2 times plus the European price for any of these cars, however much money you have. 

14 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

Best car in the world, bought for 60 quid, 16 years ago, love it.

Utterly reliable, and will take 6 bags of cement in the back.

2cviii.jpg.aebf52db72498f2de3d10fa1b777d5c8.jpg

They are not called " Two horses" for no reason.Would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Obviously fine in snow, an air conditioner in Thailand would reduce the engine output to walking pace

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think my assumption is largely correct, given the number of Range Rovers driven in London that will never see a country lane. My main point however is that it’s pretty dumb to spend 2 times plus the European price for any of these cars, however much money you have. 

I think it's dumb that rich blokes buy a million quid Bugatti to go up the coffee shop in, and have absolutely no intention of using it as it should be, but they do....

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, bbabythai said:

If I had a million to put towards a new car (maybe 1.5mill) plus the 500k trade what would you recommend?

Look for a BMW, you like that car. BMW-X series starts just under 2 million baht (1,999,000 with BSI standard package), and BMW-2 series – like 220i Gran Coupé M Sport – starts just over 2 million baht (2,169,000 with BSI standard package, so almost within reach...????

I would buy a new car if I want to keep the car for "long". You have no idea how a used car maintained. Services done on time or no service at all and no mechanic can tell how the car was treated since the car is only a few years old (wear and tear is much more) but later you are the one who will deal with problems. 
BMW recommends oil change around 15000mil , by the time what is left from engine oil is only sludge (even at 10,000). I replaced my BMW engine oil (even though it is synthetic) every 4000mil max. By the time the engine oil still looked like a dark good oil. I kept my BMW for 20 years. 
I always told my Thai gf: do you aim holes in the road ????????????

Edited by The Theory

On 11/23/2020 at 2:52 AM, thcosh said:

Clearly ! pickups are terrible and I wonder how people can even drive this !

Go German, even second hand, still a lot better than any Japanese, whatever people will tell you, they are just liars.

Dreamer.....????????????

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

My Isuzu Dmax 4door is way more comfortable than any saloon especially on Thai roads except in the back seats which do bounce you around like a saloon

Your Isuzu Dmax is more comfortable than any saloon ?? :cheesy:

Thats quite a statement, but unfortunately demotes you to the pile of those who know little.

Also quite odd that you can get bounced around in the backseats, but not in the front !!! hmmmmm :whistling:

I like to sit up high, for a clearer view of the road ahead, I prefer the crossovers I have a Nissan Juke it is so quiet to drive can creep up to 120 if i'm not careful , I find getting in & out of a saloon too low as i have got older, I even sit on a cushion to give a bit more height. If i had the dosh i would think about the Honda SUV all wheel drive is available.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless you have actually driven one, your opinion is just that.

I didn't like the Maybach's looks either which was the main reason I didn't buy one.

A good friend of mine swore by his Hyundai Tiburon but I still wouldn't be seen dead in it.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I guess a Trabant was more of a fashion statement for you.

I had the hots for a Volkwagen Phaeton while they lasted. But to be honest, after a spell working in Australia, I was sold on this lidd'l beaudy.

460471590_LightburnZeta.jpg.00a273ce7219fd1896773594d8c632e0.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gianlucabrambilla75 said:

SUBARU XV

Nice. Got one of these as a rental (not in Thailand) a few years back and thought it was bloody great, almost bought a big dog just to get the whole experience. More recently, I got a Subaru Forester as a weekend airport rental at Suvarnabhumi and although it did the business overall, the cheap plastic interior trim was a downer.

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Back on topic, the OP's old pickup may have the original hard rubber and shocks? A set of new tires and new shocks can be had for around 7,000-10,000 baht per set. New tires and shocks and I bet she'll ride just like a bought one (again).

You forgot Trans trusty tyre pressure guage....????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, samtab said:

So many of you on the forum who owned benz, porsche, bentley, etc...

but still prefer a Japanese can...

Funny all you !

I'm not a car nut and so far only owned 1 car (Toyota Hilux Revo "Rocco"), but I believe it drives ok. Not the issue with the leg pain of the OP when driving longer distances (for me a long distance might mean 6-7 hours in a day). 

I prefer Japanese because they're affordable and cheap to maintain and repair. Also, I prefer to not be seen as rich in Thailand. Many people that own a BMW, Mercedes or similar car want to show other people that they're rich, but that might track unwanted attention (thieves to your house, people that want to lend money from you, etc...).

• Like 1

We have a BMW X1, includes service for 5 years so no extra cost (BSI it's called for BMW).

Quite happy with it even with the small engine. Doesn't use much gas, isn't too big for the city but still can fit a good amount of stuff in the back and seats come down easily for longer stuff.

Sometimes do wish we went with X3 and a bigger engine but overall happy with it.

Will see about a trade in after the 5 years. Last service was about 15k THB but it was included in the 5 year BSI package.

When I was in for service this month I saw you can get them from 15k a month financing with balloon payment at the end. We paid cash at the time but perhaps financing wouldn't be a bad option if want to return it and change after 5 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I had the hots for a Volkwagen Phaeton while they lasted. But to be honest, after a spell working in Australia, I was sold on this lidd'l beaudy.

460471590_LightburnZeta.jpg.00a273ce7219fd1896773594d8c632e0.jpg

A Lightburn Zeta? I had the hots for a Nissan 350Z, but there was nowhere to put my golf clubs.

Edited by Lacessit

8 minutes ago, Jackie66 said:

We have a BMW X1, includes service for 5 years so no extra cost (BSI it's called for BMW).

Quite happy with it even with the small engine. Doesn't use much gas, isn't too big for the city but still can fit a good amount of stuff in the back and seats come down easily for longer stuff.

Sometimes do wish we went with X3 and a bigger engine but overall happy with it.

Will see about a trade in after the 5 years. Last service was about 15k THB but it was included in the 5 year BSI package.

When I was in for service this month I saw you can get them from 15k a month financing with balloon payment at the end. We paid cash at the time but perhaps financing wouldn't be a bad option if want to return it and change after 5 years.

Solid car - perfect for BKK IMO. 

On the BSI (BMW Service Included) it covers ‘standard wear and tear items’ such as break pads, wiper blades, oil filter, fluids etc. BSI is not to confused with the Warranty which (if I’m not mistaken) is 2 years, plus a 1 year extension if its offered. 

Once outside of warranty issues may be found with the standard BSI inspection & checks and people can chose a cheaper repair / replacement option. 

When we were dating my Wife’s Air-con compressor failed (the car was 4 years old) the dealer (Merc) quoted 70,000 for a new compressor, she found a local garage that could do the same fix for <30,000 baht (thats the difference between dealers and garages) - but also highlights how German Cars are expense to repair at the dealer but more competitive or not as outrageously outside of the dealer network.