No vaccine, no entry – the next challenge of Covid-19

webfact

Australian Government just announced the taking of the vaccine not mandatory..BUT Australian citizens who refuse to have the vaccine will need to go into a quarantine hotel ..AT THEIR EXPENSE FOR 14 days($ 3000 AUD)This of course is not taking into account Qantas/Jetstar vaccine notice protocol!

On 11/24/2020 at 5:40 PM, CapeTown said:

The experience from past vaccination programs is that if you make it mandatory, you get lots of resistance, because what people in democracies object to is the use of force. Make it optional and it takes the wind out of the sails of the antivaxxers.

Reality is, don't need to vaccinate 100% of the population to get herd immunity, so a few antivaxxers would only be making problems for themselves. 

"because what people in democracies object to is the use of force."

True, but that's not everybody and in some democracies this attitude comes from only a few people.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Only if the vaccine has been thoroughly tested. Normally it takes 10 years at least to do that. So what corners have been cut?? Until they  have long term trials no one knows what possible side effects there are!

No corners have been cut, as the virus is part of the Covid family most of the groundwork had previously been done. They have had trials and lots of them

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/overview/public-health-threats/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/treatments-vaccines/covid-19-vaccines-key-facts

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2020 at 11:30 AM, OttoPollmann said:

sorry about my stupid question.
The best of these vaccines will have a effectiveness of 95%. On the other hand, the mortality of sars-cov-2 is 2.3%.
Would that mean, even with a vaccination the mortality will not decrease?
Furthermore,  most of those fatality patients had underlaying conditions of any kind of sickness or age. Will be this vaccine effective with this precondition or are these the 5% causality.

Anyways, for sure I will not take any vaccine from a 3th world country. If I get forced, and that will be the case because I work worldwide, the vaccine must come from Germany.

No, it would mean that vaccinated people would be 95% less likely to contract the disease if they were exposed to it.  It does not mean that the other 5% would die.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sydneyjed said:

Australian Government just announced the taking of the vaccine not mandatory..BUT Australian citizens who refuse to have the vaccine will need to go into a quarantine hotel ..AT THEIR EXPENSE FOR 14 days($ 3000 AUD)This of course is not taking into account Qantas/Jetstar vaccine notice protocol!

Interesting ???? 

12 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Unless you live under a draconian dictatorship I seriously doubt that anybody will force you to be vaccinated.

If you choose to hold tight to your ' freedom ' , dont whine if others ( individuals , corporations , governments) see things differently .

It's your choice not to take a vaccine, it's also the gift of others to impose restrictions on those of your ilk.

There is a country for people like you.  It’s called China.  You will love it

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, xkkpafi said:

Hear hear! Just look at the mess that Europe is in. Level 3 then level 4 then level 2 except in areas with a <deleted> postcode which have level 3 and a half,  then level 5 except on odd numbered fridays.

What a relief.  Someone understood my sarcasm.

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I dont hear anybody talking about the first groups that will be vaccinated , many countries will choose the most vaulnarable groups first , elderly, high risk persons that already have underlying illness etc . So those are not really people that will travel or go on a holliday to thailand . And every country doesn't habe enough vaccines to vaccinate the whole population to begin with so i don't think the no vaccine no entry rule will be a lot differen't to the nr of tourists that are allowed to enter on this very moment . If that rule comes it will take many months before tourists can come back in by the nr's they are hoping for as it will take momths before they have enough vaccines all over the world to vaccinate eberybody . As other people are saying , people that have a chance to vaccinate but choose not to, ok up to them , then they shouldn't be allowed to enter . 

They say first ones will be hospital personnel. Good idea? If something goes wrong with vaccination, you ll loose them.

On the other hand, they are in danger right away, everyday.

While i knock on wood, I dont have covid, but might be selected first round.

I dont know if im happy with that and if I should comply.

The Pfizer vaccine needs to be stored at minus 80 degrees C, otherwise it is dead, not working, working wrong?

Not hopeful, many countries dont have such a fridge. They are ordering now.

There was a company here making those fridges and had orders from all over EU, accept from my country. Sweet !

Are they doubting Pfizer? We ll have another one? Doubt that, as we have those stupid expensive fighter planes as well.

I think better first the ones with covid and do the young ones first, as they are getting crazy for not having parties and organize illegal parties. They really like to spread, although now also the 30-40 year old people are getting crazy and follow the younger ones in parties. How stupid can you be, but ok im in a different age group.

So better to pass me and do the other groups first.

The more a government is saying no to all , the crazier the people get, the more infections take place.

If the whole world would have gone in lockdown in march for 4 weeks, we could have been  free now.

But no, we need to go on. However It costs us now way more effort and economy (cost trillions) is flat overall.

Yeah, money makes the world go round. Numero UNO ! Wrong vision.

So what we have next year? Naegleria fowleri, brain eating amoeba?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

I can just see the wonderful possibilities. Western made vaccines free for Thais, while farangs must pay for Chinese made vaccines only.

"... farangs must pay for Chinese made vaccines only."

Where does your statement come from?

I can understand why some young people are so AntiVaxx - they have grown up (or not as the case may be) with the Conspiracy Theories and (Anti)Social Media.

But the number of presumably older people on here, who've had all the aforementioned vacs in their youth / adult lives and STILL don't trust medical science astounds me!

I'm 65 and yes.... it may go horribly wrong and the chosen vac may kill me....Life definitely will kill me, but a far better way to go, IMO!

The thing that kind of seals it for me was summed up by The Who and paraphrased by moi:  "Hope I die before I get to old to have fun." I would HATE to refuse  the vac, then find out, when I'm 80,  that it was safe after all!

But....... as they say YMMV!????

And, slightly frivolous  but.....

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

If countries want tourism to return, then mandatory 14-day quarantines at the state sponsored, expensive hotels has to end. The only way you can potentially accomplish that outcome is with a vaccine, and a vaccine that limits spread. 

On 11/23/2020 at 6:52 PM, sweetserenity said:

I really hope it wont be mandatory to be vaccinated in order to visit thailand the first year at least... 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, webfact said:

Then there will be a rump of people, either hard core anti-vaxxers, or others who are at least skeptical of a new vaccine, who will want to wait or not want the vaccine at all. Public education, some strong science and a successful roll out of the early vaccines will be a key to winning over a lot of the world’s population.

No need to do that.  Just send the police and military out to hold down resisters and plunge the vaccine into their arms.  And it's easy with what is left of the expat retiree community.  No vaccine, no extension. Get out.  And for men supporting a Thai wife and family.  No vaccine, get out!  You aren't wanted anyway. Your wife can go back to being a bar girl.  All your wives were bar girls right.  So they know poverty. And you can hit the road. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Billybaroo said:

If countries want tourism to return, then mandatory 14-day quarantines at the state sponsored, expensive hotels has to end. The only way you can potentially accomplish that outcome is with a vaccine, and a vaccine that limits spread. 

Well even if you/we can visit Thailand and other countries who won't insist on a vaccine(which I highly doubt)..the problems begin when you/me as a returning citizen planning on returning to your own country..which does insist on a vaccination passport.As I stated in a earlier post Australia will not make vaccine inoculation compulsary BUT will insist on returning citizens to Australia that you go straight into mandatory quarantine at your expense for 14 days ($3000AUD)This of course does not take into account how many airlines will follow Qantas's lead and insist on evidence/proof of a Covid inoculation passport.Travelling overseas is going to get a whole lot different that's for sure!

On 11/25/2020 at 1:56 AM, Virt said:

How many people that are against vaccines were vaccinated as kids for these things? 

Polio, pertussis, measels, mumps, rubella, TB, chickenpox, diphtheria, tenatus. 

It's not like vaccines are something the devil invented and if we didn't have the above vaccines we would see a crazy amount of deaths each year.  

Yes vaccines sadly do have side-effects, but the fatalities are extremely low compared to the millions upon millions they save every year.

So I trust that FDA and EMA will not give the go for Covid-19 vaccines if there are major risks. 

I have vaccinations and last was for flu.

I'm not against them, obviously, but will refuse the corona vaccine because of the speed with which it has been produced. 6 months ago we were being told it was going to be a long time as safe vaccines normally take years to develop.

Far as I'm concerned, the rush is for the usual reason, but as it might be regarded as a conspiracy theory will not say what I believe to be the reason on here. I'm sure most will know what it is.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, Tech65 said:

Even if one person is not sick (no synthons whatsoever) nor infected? I mean HEALTHY?

Can you explain? ????

It can take 4-5 days for symptoms to appear. You can "look" healthy, but that does not mean you "are" healthy. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No need to wait 15 years. Any long term side effects should show up within a couple of years. That's what I'm planning to do, and if no side effects by 2022 I'll take it then.

Not necessarily. How long was it before the effects of Thalidomide showed up and the cause became clear?

Not that that changes my view - just saying it may be longer than the 2 years you suggest.

Edited by VBF

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Not necessarily. How long was it before the effects of Thalidomide showed up and the cause became clear?

Not that that changes my view - just saying it may be longer than the 2 years you suggest.

Delayed onset of side effects wasn't the problem with Thalidomide, except in the sense that you had to wait for the child to be born to see them.  The damage was actually done within 3 to 6 weeks after conception.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2020 at 6:21 AM, Nanaplaza666 said:

I dont hear anybody talking about the first groups that will be vaccinated , many countries will choose the most vaulnarable groups first , elderly, high risk persons that already have underlying illness etc . So those are not really people that will travel or go on a holliday to thailand .

Then you didn't read my earlier posts.

5 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Delayed onset of side effects wasn't the problem with Thalidomide, except in the sense that you had to wait for the child to be born to see them.  The damage was actually done within 3 to 6 weeks after conception.

Fair point - I possibly didn't think that one through! ????

On 11/24/2020 at 4:16 AM, mikeymike100 said:

Only if the vaccine has been thoroughly tested. Normally it takes 10 years at least to do that. So what corners have been cut?? Until they  have long term trials no one knows what possible side effects there are!

Not with annual flu vaccines

On 11/24/2020 at 4:57 AM, Tech65 said:

I hope it will happen as soon as possible ????, than we can see if it is good or not, or if there could be some kind of side effects that haven't been discovered yet by testing just on 170 volunteers.

These vaccines are clearly some kind of new high-tech since they must be preserved at -80deg ????.  New tech's must be validated on guinea pigs.

Moreover, effectiveness 92-95% leave a good 5% probability that you may still get the covid, which is like today without any vaccine if you are in perfectly good health.

I will certainly follow you when you won't present any problem, that will be the right time for me. ????

Careful, your fingers must have slipped on your num pad. it was 43,000, not 170

• Like 1