No vaccine, no entry – the next challenge of Covid-19

webfact

11 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Not only that but the aussie govt has also stated they are giving serious consideration to banning any international travel ( whether into or out of australia ) if you cannot provide proof of covid vaccination.

Are you sure that's what 'the aussie govt' said?

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes of course you don't need 100 percent. But you do need to convert a lot of the vaccine skeptics as there are so many of them. 

The vaccine sceptics won't be able to fly, or for that matter do many things.

I am sure that there will be plenty of videos of angry people abusing unfortunate check in staff because their "rights" are being disregarded.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Proof of vaccination would make sense, and is not something new. I remember when I was young – Okay, I admit it's looong time ago – the I needed an international vaccination passbook, with the right vaccination stamps in it, to be allowed into certain countries. The health check required for certain visas both today, and before the Covid-19 outbreak, already include to be free from some diseases that the authorities don't wish to be imported. So same-same, and not so different...:thumbsup:

Up to recently – and perhaps still – many travellers would get vaccinations to protect themselves when travelling; when I first time visited Thailand in 1987 a number of vaccinations were recommended, and all sensible tourists would get them...????

When I was posting on Lonely Planet we got a lot of questions about what vaccinations to get.

• Like 1

Just now, Tick Nurner said:

If that situation did arise it would not be "compulsory" or "illegal".  It would only be compulsory for those wanting to use the services (or enter a country) of of an organisation or government that insisted on it to use their services.

Correct. Won't affect some like myself that don't intend flying or sailing to some other country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Just BS. You already had SARS and MERS, no vaccine for that one and all just goes on.

Not any lockdown or anything. It went away somehow.

Now they find a MUTANT COVID in Denmark on minks. Vaccine still works then?

How many countries dont have vaccination with just "simple" measles? You can die on that one and is very infectious.

There are some more viruses very infectious like diphtheria, polio.  Anyone has vaccinations against that, mostly the western countries have, but Asian countries?

Even a "simple" flu can cause many to die. In 2018/19 10000 people died here, more then now with covid.

No one really knew, no lockdowns or what so ever, no panic, nothing. 

Now there are vaccines for covid? Many of them all at a sudden.

What are the side effects of those vaccines longer term? You survive covid , but die on side effects?

Next year we will have another virus , we can start over again.

Asian countries? In fact, just from my knowledge, parents in Singapore, Japan and Thailand are quite serious about having their children vaccinated (perhaps other countries too, I don't know). But how many also depends on the cost. In Singapore quite cheap. In Thailand quite expensive and I'm aware from a neighbor (district doctor in charge of community health), Thais who can afford it do get their kids vaccinated, and when there are special offers (often a 6 months step by step package or similar) the response is strong and quick. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Not one person ( other than in trials ) has been vaccinated yet and 8 billion to go.

Lots of chinese have been getting the vaccine for the past month with long queues at clinics, shots are prices at about $30. I also believe russia has also started vaccinating it citizens.  

4 hours ago, Crash999 said:

It means that up to 95% of people receiving the vaccine will become immune. The balance 5% don’t develop immunity. 

If enough people get vaccinated then 95% effectiveness is more than enough to stop Covid from spreading. 

That’s not how to do the math of 95% effectiveness.

Almost 45000 people were tested.

Half received the vaccine, other half received the placebo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only if they want even less tourists than now, IMO.

When most of the people get vaccinated it will open up Thailand to many tourists. Life will get back to normal. If people don't want to get vaccinated their movements will be very restricted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

No vaccine, no entry – the next challenge of Covid-19
The Thaiger

OPINION

No-V-No-V.jpg

With the announcements this week about several vaccine candidate trials, either being completed or at the end of their Phase 3 testings, and the applications to government bodies for ‘emergency approval’, we now have to face the next question.

What restrictions will be imposed on those people who don’t have the vaccine, or even actively choose not to have the vaccine?

And more locally…

Will Thailand allow people to enter Thailand without first having the Covid-19 vaccine?

Given the Thai Government’s low-risk strategy, well almost zero-risk strategy, and reluctance to take any chances with a second wave of Covid 19, it is highly likely there will be a stipulation that anyone entering Thailand will need a vaccine certificate or stamp in their passports.

Couple this with the Thai population’s continued fear of allowing foreigners back into the country at this time, in poll after poll, and it’s a safe bet there will be a “no vaccine, no entry” restriction imposed.

On a positive note, the Thai government may drop the 14 day quarantine for people that have had the vaccine (but not in the early days).

At this stage we know that most of the vaccine trials have had a 95% efficacy. We also know that the leading BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine needs an original jab plus a booster and has to be transported at extremely low temperature.

To complicate matters, there is not yet sufficient evidence that having had a bout of Covid-19, whether asymptomatic or not, guarantees you immunity. Or, if it does, for how long?

All these factors will mean that some level of quarantine will probably be in force as the Thai government slowly re-opens its borders to a wider groups of vaccinated travellers. This would remain in force until the world has a better knowledge of both the proven efficacy of the vaccine, or vaccines, and the re-infection rates.

So, even if we start getting groups of the world’s populations vaccinated before the end of the year, and that’s still a very big IF, there’s a lot more water to pass under the bridge until a coherent, reliable vaccine strategy can be understood and implemented.

Then there will be a rump of people, either hard core anti-vaxxers, or others who are at least skeptical of a new vaccine, who will want to wait or not want the vaccine at all. Public education, some strong science and a successful roll out of the early vaccines will be a key to winning over a lot of the world’s population.

Somehow governments and health authorities are going to have to wind back much of the disinformation floating around the internet about vaccines that is so factually out of whack with reality, it’s going to be one of the greatest public health challenges of all time, to reassure people about the science of vaccines and vaccination.

All this, in the middle of a pandemic that, for now, is still on the ascendency as far as new cases and deaths are concerned.

But there is little doubt rejoining the world of international travel, even local travel, could become restricted to only those who are vaccinated. The rest will be stuck roaming around their own countries, or states, for… years with a raft of restrictions on their lives. Who knows.

Will shopping centres or public buildings also impose a “no vaccine, no entry” policy? Hotels? Public buildings? Job applications?

On top of the economic stress which has fallen on a lot of the world, with so many governments now facing the headwinds of deep recession, the vaccine ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ will add even more public disquiet.

At this stage nobody is sure how the vaccine will be rolled out in Thailand. The Thai government has already signed up for several of the leading vaccine candidates and will most likely provide the vaccine for free to citizens under its public health system.

What does that mean for foreigners living here? If you are covered, with a work permit, under the country’s public health, are you able to get the vaccine for free too? Will the thousands of foreigners on private health insurance be covered?

Surely the insurers will want its customers to be vaccinated. Sick customers cost them money. So, will insurance renewals be limited to only people who have been vaccinated? Will visas be renewed only if you have been vaccinated?

At this stage there are no firm answers to any of these questions.

And then there is the SARS Cov2 virus (Covid-19) itself, a living virus which has the ability to mutate and adapt. Will these new vaccines be effective against all mutations? Again, this is all ahead of us.

We’re certainly now entering a new phase of this pandemic. New challenges, new questions. The rising numbers of cases throughout 2020 is only the first chapter of a book that will be many more years in the making.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no-vaccine-no-entry-the-next-challenge-of-covid-19

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-11-24

"On a positive note, the Thai government may drop the 14 day quarantine for people that have had the vaccine (but not in the early days)."  I bet the soldiers "government" keep the 14 day quarantine for a lot longer than what is necessary, as it is a big moneymaker 

for them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

I wonder if they will insist that it has to be a Thai developed vaccine? It could be another money spinner.

Whatever is the biggest money spinner for these soldiers is what will happen where Thailand is concerned, nothing else matters.

• Sad 1

A long list of posts in this thread have been removed for multiple reasons, including:

false and misleading info about COVID, unsourced and unsubstantiated vaccine claims, bickering posts, off-topic posts, trolling posts, and more. And then replies to all of the above.

If you're going to make various claims regarding medical issues here, you need to source and link your claims to credible sources.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

On a positive note, the Thai government may drop the 14 day quarantine for people that have had the vaccine (but not in the early days).

Will they drop the 100 000 $ covid-19 insurance too ?

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Will shopping centres or public buildings also impose a “no vaccine, no entry” policy? Hotels? Public buildings? Job applications?

That would be too much. Showing a vaccination certificate when entering Thailand ok, showing it all the time would be terrible

• Like 1

I called it months ago that thailand was waiting for a vaccine to allow foreigners to enter...

Not all vaccines will have the same effectiveness and the implementation will not be smooth or equitable...

this will cause problems for travelers low on the priority list and how will my midnight Russian or fly by night Chinese vaccine be accepted?

new printing business for Khao San road...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Virt said:

I wouldn't mind getting a shot before travelling to Thailand. 

Working in the pharmaceutical industry for 13+ years at a company that produces insulin and i know how insanely hard it is to get a new product approved, so I'm not to worried about FDA or EMA approving a product that is not thoroughly tested.

I just want an option to choose which vaccine I get. 

I feel an internationally recognized certificate of vaccination should be used, so that it could be used and understood worldwide

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daejung said:

I feel an internationally recognized certificate of vaccination should be used, so that it could be used and understood worldwide

There are already such thing as a Covid-passport. Denmark issues this in 3 languages when tested and it is acknowledged in EU ... maybe other places too.

• Like 2

Just now, cardinalblue said:

I called it months ago that thailand was waiting for a vaccine to allow foreigners to enter...

Not all vaccines will have the same effectiveness and the implementation will not be smooth or equitable...

this will cause problems for travelers low on the priority list and how will my midnight Russian or fly by night Chinese vaccine be accepted?

new printing business for Khao San road...

Easy to overcome ... sure there will be fakes around , same like there are fake passports , but not a awful lot . Most people do not do this kind of illegal behaviour , and if you accord a sentence accordingly , i guess not a lot people will take that route and will do a vaccination .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sezze said:

I expect news from the airline industry fast , like Qantas did already

I wonder :Can Qantas decide alone ? Is'nt it up to the australian governement to decide ? Otherwise anyone could refuse access to his shop on same grounds, no ?

• Like 1

fyi...

Vaccine Myths Debunked

U.S. public health officials and physicians have been combating misconceptions about vaccine safety for over twenty years. They've had mixed success. Despite the fact that numerous studies have found no evidence to support the notion that vaccines cause autism and other chronic illnesses, a growing number of parents are refusing to vaccinate their children.

Researchers now link falling immunization rates to recent resurgences of vaccine-preventable diseases. In 2010, California saw 9,120 cases of whooping cough, more than any year since the whooping cough vaccine was introduced in the 1940s. Ten infants too young to be vaccinated died of whooping cough during the outbreak. The CDC warns that events like these will become more frequent and harder to control if vaccination rates continue to fall.

https://www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/understanding-vaccines/vaccine-myths-debunked/

There is no evidence that any Covid-19 vaccine currently being trialled has caused a death, let alone that any vaccine has a fatality rate higher than the disease itself. More than 1.3 million people have so far died of Covid-19 worldwide, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University

There have been no reports of any deaths associated with either the Pfizer or Moderna trials, the two vaccine candidates which have reported late-stage efficacy data.

There have been two deaths in Brazil of participants in two separate vaccine trials, but there is nothing to link the deaths to the vaccines themselves.

https://fullfact.org/online/coronavirus-vaccine-safety-death-rate/

• Like 2