New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

10 hours ago, screwman said:

1. About my GW, due to the current covid situation my colleagues and I did not have a chance to ride to upcountry, so far I rode around my home area and twice to my office which is 43km away from home. I have to say riding on Bangkok roads not so fun or rather pretty scary for me on a big bike.

2. With regards to your earlier suggestion about getting a smaller bike, errrrrrr I did get a smaller bike, a bike that is much easier to ride though. Came 2 Fridays ago.

Congratulations to your "smaller bike". I am sure that is a lot easier to ride. Enjoy - and go easy on the throttle.

And about the GW: I guess it's not build for the city but I am sure you will get a lot of experience with it in the city. I am sure just sitting on it for hundreds of km is fine. The problematic part is all the stop and go and handling. And that is the part which you (have to) learn in the city. I guess you learn more on the 43km to your office than on a 430km trip outside of town.

Take it easy and enjoy. And let us know if you decide to buy an even smaller smaller bike. I have a KTM Duke 390. I read often riders who used to ride big and heavy bikes enjoy that little bike a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 3:25 PM, canthai55 said:

That's a 500bhp Turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa capable of wheelies at 220 miles per hour. Seriously.

ghr.jpg

My sons R1 has 3 wheelie settings so not so hard to do. 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:57 AM, jackdd said:

Don't forget that you need to get the big bike driving license in about two months if you want to ride a bike above 400cc.

What's the latest news on that any more than just a date.? 

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My sons R1 has 3 wheelie settings so not so hard to do. 

Getting the front wheel up is easy. Making sure it doesn't get too high and a smooth touch down is another thing.

I tried to learn all that when I was 16. Summary: I failed, and I won't do it again now with a bigger bike and older bones. ???? 

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:14 PM, screwman said:

Thank you Issanman. 

As mentioned in my posts I am new in riding. I do admit and agree with all who said riding a small scooter and riding a big bike is different which was why I had an interim bike the ADV150 to gain more experience however, riding the Gold Wing is an entirely different story. Anyway there is always a first for everything. 

Coming back to the Gold Wing, so far I rode only on Sunday within my village, to the gas station and nearby places like the market and to some friend's home. When on the move, surprisingly I found it easy to ride, very easy indeed and cornering while turning is so easy and feel more confident that it will not fall over compare to small scooter and small bikes. 

But I have a few problems I faced that I need lots of practice (all related to the weight of the vehicle)

1. Stopping the vehicle, the bike suddenly feel so heavy to balance so got to fight with it 

2. Moving off from standstill like at traffic light, once again due to the weight I feel a bit unbalance and fighting with the weight

Both the above are actually very dangerous if I don’t get it right and get it right quick if not I will have problem 

3. Trying to move the bike from standstill for example adjusting to park nicely, once again its a struggle due to the weight

4. Backing up the bike is a problem and need lots of practice, again is due to the weight

5. You may say to me “but you have reverse gear” yes I have reverse gear it helps but not as easy as you might think reversing a 4 wheel ????????????

6. Making u-turn on a narrow street is s struggle, real struggle

So it seems I require lots of practice. I have engaged a trainer for big bike but due to Covid lessons had been suspended.

Anyway I had lots of fun on Sunday. I will not give up and will persevere to master it ????.

Visited a friend

img%5D

Brought her some fruits

SeI7p0E.jpg

Beside her ride

788l2LS.jpg

At Caltex for my first top up

lXxo8vi.jpg

Careful guy

wb7ZNji.jpg

23s9A4T.jpg

Well to conquer the skill of riding a heavy bike there are many tricks and practical things to learn while waiting for you lesson find a large space empty car somewhere near where you live. 

You must get use to and master the weight.

Practice practice is the only way, even just riding once a week is not good. 

Still take care and maybe buy the extra needed to keep you upright with small maneuvers.

Rife to live. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well to conquer the skill of riding a heavy bike there are many tricks and practical things to learn while waiting for you lesson find a large space empty car somewhere near where you live. 

You must get use to and master the weight.

Practice practice is the only way, even just riding once a week is not good. 

Still take care and maybe buy the extra needed to keep you upright with small maneuvers.

Rife to live. 

"Practice practice is the only way" is sure correct. But I think practice after professional training is even better.

I never had such a big bike and I don't know the details. But I know from other "sports" that you can learn things wrong and if you do it too often wrong then it's difficult to adjust to do it right.

The OP has obviously no money problem. I would go to a training or hire a professional for personal training to learn right away to do things right. I am sure that is more fun and it is better for riding the bike in the future. Trying things yourself and maybe failing is often frustrating.

One easy example is getting bikes on the center stand. If "you" learn how to do that right then it's easy. Try yourself without guidance and it becomes headache. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Getting the front wheel up is easy. Making sure it doesn't get too high and a smooth touch down is another thing.

I tried to learn all that when I was 16. Summary: I failed, and I won't do it again now with a bigger bike and older bones. ???? 

If you got an R1 you could do 3 wheelie positions the bike does you don't have to do anything just concentrate on where you're going. ????

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, screwman said:

1. About my GW, due to the current covid situation my colleagues and I did not have a chance to ride to upcountry, so far I rode around my home area and twice to my office which is 43km away from home. I have to say riding on Bangkok roads not so fun or rather pretty scary for me on a big bike.

2. With regards to your earlier suggestion about getting a smaller bike, errrrrrr I did get a smaller bike, a bike that is much easier to ride though. Came 2 Fridays ago.

Good idea master that in slow maneuvers,  U turns it will give more confidence, if you can't do practical lessons with an instructor then there's plenty of useful tips on - line. 

Don't forget to learn opposite steer skills too for riding at pace. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This just popped up in my YouTube recommendations. I don't need it but maybe it's something for you.

My two little grandchildren have just got rid of the stabilisers on their first pedal bikes.

More seriously - wasn't something like this offered on GWs as standard fitment quite a few years ago? Never really been interested in that type of bike but I seem to remember it from yesteryear.

Edited by MartinL
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MartinL said:

My two little grandchildren have just got rid of the stabilisers on their first pedal bikes.

More seriously - weren't something like this offered on GWs as standard fitment quite a few years ago? Never really been interested in that type of bike but I seem to remember it from yesteryear.

Not sure about that Wilki history would say I guess.

Electric center stand has been out a long time and airbag for the rider quite some years.

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure about that Wilki history would say I guess.

Electric center stand has been out a long time and airbag for the rider quite some years.

How about 4 wheels? I think that would be perfect for that monster. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

See quite a few get dumped on the gravel roads in Northern Canada during riding season.

See quite a few people who can not pick them up when they fall over.

Only worked on one pre-computer days in UK many moons ago fixing wiring and electronics it was a nightmare, I bet now it would be practically impossible now to fix their electronics and wiring without a computer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about 4 wheels? I think that would be perfect for that monster. 

Yeah never really understood the sort of people buying big touring bikes,  my idea of touring and camping was my Volvo estate with a trailer for my bike an orning with the Volvo tail gate up which became a tent. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, screwman said:

Nice music how are you getting on, your becoming a star in these covid times. ????????????

What is that bike exactly I'm not up with what Honda sell here I'm a sports bike biker. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Nice music how are you getting on, your becoming a star in these covid times. ????????????

What is that bike exactly I'm not up with what Honda sell here I'm a sports bike biker. 

The tile of the video is: "Arriving of the Honda Rebel 1100 DCT"

According to the WWW: 85HP and 233kg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, Kwasaki said:

That is a Honda Rebel 1100 DCT cruiser

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:13 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

The tile of the video is: "Arriving of the Honda Rebel 1100 DCT"

According to the WWW: 85HP and 233kg

85HP... that's almost 2/3 of what a 600 super sport puts down.... 555

won't have to worry about the throttle too much, this ain't gonna be any kind of a wheelie threat. Read "sedate cruiser"

Edited by Mai mee
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mai mee said:

85HP... that's almost 2/3 of what a 600 super sport puts down.... 555

won't have to worry about the throttle too much, this ain't gonna be any kind of a wheelie threat. Read "sedate cruiser"

But you can't pull a caravan. ????

• Like 2

• 2 months later...