New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

That explains it.

Why don't you let someone take a video of you riding your bike at your 'normal speed' for 5 minutes so we can judge whether it's safe or not.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, alacrity said:

If it's what you really want: go for it!!!

To do that in any/most countries isn't smart. Here it's just, 'freakin stupid'. Let me know the location of your local temple, I'll happily supply flowers upon you're demise.

Maybe you should tone it down a notch. Play nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why don't you let someone take a video of you riding your bike at your 'normal speed' for 5 minutes so we can judge whether it's safe or not.

I've been assessed by people FAR, FAR more able to give a valid opinion of riding skills - e.g. UK police Class 1 motorcyclists - than you or the vast majority of people on TV (sorry, ASEAN NOW) and passed advanced riding tests at the highest level there.

Result - only one minor 'off' in 1994, after 50+ years of 'big biking' despite riding 'enthusiastically'.

Your opinion of the quality of my riding would be worthless. Judging from your comments, your level of riding is probably no more than 'Basic'

The pursuit tests involved 'making progress' and candidates would have failed if they stuck to your 60-80 kph when faster speeds would have been safely possible. Excessive, unsafe speed would also have led to failure. I still take great pride in being able to ride safely, considerately and quickly in Thailand even though those qualities are rarely seen here. Riding safely also involves the ability to assess changing road and traffic conditions and adapting riding style to suit - something that is even more important on Thai roads.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Why do you feel the need to judge my riding style ?

And who is 'we' ?

To have any credibility on the subject of riding large displacement motorcycles may I suggest that you actually ride one, then come back and give us your impressions and feelings.

60 Kph on a scooter is hardly applicable to 120 Kph on a HD

You can keep on riding your bike at 120kph or even 240kph if you like.

Some people will never learn until one day they end up in hospitals with serious injuries that they regret for life. 

I've seen quite a few cases so don't say nobody warned you.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

The main difference with a big bike is the weight and needing to lean and balance much more. I found 125 to 500\600 was a jump and again to 800 so a bike as big as a Honda Goldwing  (a bit like a small car) it will need time to get used to it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No. Not OK. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you are terminally ill, and you want to end it early, go for it. 

If you are healthy, sane and especially if you have loved ones who care about you, do not do this. Thailand has some of the most dangerous roads in the world. 

It is best to get a 150cc to 250cc bike. Not the Filano. Sorry, but that is a girl's toy. It will allow you to learn. Take some lessons on a track. Learn braking essentials. Leave to drive on wet pavement. And after a year or two, you can move up. Your family will be grateful. You are still young. Do not succumb to Darwin's theories. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Not OK. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you are terminally ill, and you want to end it early, go for it. 

If you are healthy, sane and especially if you have loved ones who care about you, do not do this. Thailand has some of the most dangerous roads in the world. 

It is best to get a 150cc to 250cc bike. Not the Filano. Sorry, but that is a girl's toy. It will allow you to learn. Take some lessons on a track. Learn braking essentials. Leave to drive on wet pavement. And after a year or two, you can move up. Your family will be grateful. You are still young. Do not succumb to Darwin's theories. 

I agree, wrap yourself in bubblewrap, be scared of your own shadow and live a life worth living..................NOT.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Its not just the size of the GW but also the crazy power. If that's your merc in the pic then I'm sure you've got the money for a few repairs as they happen. Not my kind of bike but have fun, just not too much fun.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Its not just the size of the GW but also the crazy power.

The crazy power is there but it's up to the rider how much of it he wants to use.

The crazy weight is always there - even if you use only 5% of the power. That, IMHO, is the biggest issue with that kind of bike.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I've travelled all over Thailand mostly on secondary roads too and also a few dirt roads. Mostly on a Harley Heritage and later again on a Honda Transalp. Much better scenery than the highways and major routes.

The poster I was replying to fessed up and said he rides a scooter, at 60 Kph

Hardly credible to riding a large displacement bike, on roads he has never seen.

But such is the ways of a Public Forum

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking back at your original post and your > 350kg bike now.

Did you think about getting (temporarily) a medium sized used bike with maybe roughly 500cc?

I am sure learning on such a bike is much easier than the huge step to that monster Honda.

And even if the bike falls down it's not really a big problem. Any repairs will be a LOT cheaper on an old bike and you don't really have to care about a scratch or two. But imagine a scratch on your brand new bike. I am sure you would get it fixed and that one scratch will cost probably more than a used 500cc.

And if you have a used 500cc and your shiny new Honda then you can chose everyday which bike you want to use. If aber maybe 3 months you use the Goldwing everyday then you know you don't need the "beginner bike" anymore.

Enjoy the ride!

pAqss.jpg

Thank you for your suggestion I get myself a ADV150 however you are right a 500cc would have been better. 

33 minutes ago, screwman said:

Thank you for your suggestion I get myself a ADV150 however you are right a 500cc would have been better. 

Thanks for your reply.

It's not too late. Looking at all the money you spent on that big bike another medium sized used bike won't be a big issue. I am sure it will make your transformation from a rider of small bikes to big bikes much easier. And likely you will be able to sell that used bike again without much loss. And just in case you damage or crash that used bike you will be happy that is was only that used bike and not your shiny new Goldwing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BE88 said:

The well-known problem of the 50-year complex, we are all more or less past that time. Sit down and wait you will see that will pass.

And then with 60 or 70 you think about the time when you were 50 and what you could have done with 50 that you can't do anymore when you are older... 

I think it's a great idea to fulfill your dreams. Just be careful how you do it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And then with 60 or 70 you think about the time when you were 50 and what you could have done with 50 that you can't do anymore when you are older... 

I think it's a great idea to fulfill your dreams. Just be careful how you do it.

At 5O I didn't have a problem with big motorcycles but with sports cars and rather with beautiful women like today, never exceeded the complex of 20 years I presume LOL

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your reply.

It's not too late. Looking at all the money you spent on that big bike another medium sized used bike won't be a big issue. I am sure it will make your transformation from a rider of small bikes to big bikes much easier. And likely you will be able to sell that used bike again without much loss. And just in case you damage or crash that used bike you will be happy that is was only that used bike and not your shiny new Goldwing. 

Thank you so much let me see what options I have 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, screwman said:

There is a new Honda ADV 350 coming out. It might be a great middle of the road bike. That or the new Forza 350. A great bike, relatively easy to handle, plenty of power for the road, and more comfortable than a crotch rocket. 

20210224_135650.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1